iTunes DRM-Free Upgrade: Full Price, All or Nothing

That's what one gets for dealing with a closed format.
Apple can demand whatever they want to remove the DRM from YOUR music because it's illegal for you to remove it yourself. (Without transcoding.)

I still can't get over the fact that Apple won't let you redownload songs that LEGALLY BOUGHT without sending them an email to "BEG" for a one-time-only blessing from the almightly "Jobs" to redownload all your songs. Did anybody expect Apple to *not* screw their customers and charge a hefty fee to remove the DRM?

I was surprised that Apple didn't just simply tell people to repurchase all their music at the FULL UN-DRM'd prices again... So they're only *slightly* less evil that I had expected.

You guys are acting like Apple is the only stakeholder involved in setting the upgrade prices. Obviously the labels are making most of the money here.

That said, I think its f'ing ridiculous that you have to upgrade all your tracks at the same time.

I did upgrade quite a lot of itunes tracks to Plus as and when they became available, but then I got sick of itunes becoming increasingly fat and slow and installing various extra system services I didn't want or need, so I switched to Amazon.

One word: Tunebite.

Better word: Requiem.

How do you not listen to music? Excuse me for being blunt and a tad crass but that the bunch of crap...

*shrug* Just not my thing. I mean it's not like I'm some kind of psyco that's going to leave the room like it's against my religion if it's on. I just don't go around turning on the radio or buying CDs. If I do have the radio on it''s usally to sports talk or talk radio.

In my opinion if someone bought this many DRM songs he fully deserves to be cash cow for Apple.

I hope such things will hit as many of the "drm doesn't affect me so who cares" people as possible so they finally learn.

Well, my 3 kids love music and in Canada we have no choice to get drm free media...

I wanted to teach the kids the "right thing", so I insisted they only get legal music.

With this BS i am going to teach them about civil disobedience.

*shrug* Just not my thing. I mean it's not like I'm some kind of psyco that's going to leave the room like it's against my religion if it's on. I just don't go around turning on the radio or buying CDs. If I do have the radio on it''s usally to sports talk or talk radio.

If the source of music is only coming from the radio, then I understand perfectly. But you not caring about music is very interesting. I feel like taking you in and running some tests to see if you're from this planet. :p

That's what one gets for dealing with a closed format.
Apple can demand whatever they want to remove the DRM from YOUR music because it's illegal for you to remove it yourself. (Without transcoding.)

I still can't get over the fact that Apple won't let you redownload songs that LEGALLY BOUGHT without sending them an email to "BEG" for a one-time-only blessing from the almightly "Jobs" to redownload all your songs. Did anybody expect Apple to *not* screw their customers and charge a hefty fee to remove the DRM?

I was surprised that Apple didn't just simply tell people to repurchase all their music at the FULL UN-DRM'd prices again... So they're only *slightly* less evil that I had expected.

Do you have any idea how much bandwidth you're talking about? That kind of bandwidth isn't free.

You're downloading FULL copies of the songs, at a higher bitrate, without DRM. That costs money.

That’s right, you heard me. If you want to upgrade some of your music on iTunes to the new DRM-free version, you are out of luck unless you pay full price for your entire music collection. That’s right, there is no picking and choosing, it is all or nothing. :(

Can't say I have much sympathy. IMO, people who buy lossy files, especially DRMed lossy files are stupid (not literally, of course).

I'll stick with CD's and do my own superior conversions.

I have never understood the $0.99 per song thing. I can remember the days when you go to the store and get a 45 single with 2 songs for $0.25. They act like each song sold has to be recreated for every download. It's just stupid to buy anything that cost the same as the hard-copy but limited use. If you want to stop the DMR bull STOP BUYING IT!!!!!

Zune pass is awesome.
My bro his wife and I have all zunes. 14.99 and we all share the plan.
Hmm unlimited downloads and all drm free. for the cost of what?

And folks say Apple is superior? ROFLMAO.

I have never understood the $0.99 per song thing. I can remember the days when you go to the store and get a 45 single with 2 songs for $0.25. They act like each song sold has to be recreated for every download. It's just stupid to buy anything that cost the same as the hard-copy but limited use. If you want to stop the DMR bull STOP BUYING IT!!!!!

What year was that? Did you adjust for inflation? The price of a CD, adjusted for inflation, is cheaper than an Album at virtually any point in time. Even if a single cost a quarter in 1980 (I'm sure they cost more) that'd still be more than a buck in 2008 dollars.

mine came to three hundred something..I paid..i am happy.

please excuse me while i ROFL...

if you have that much extra cash laying around it wouldn't hurt to share with someone other than Jobs once in awhile either...

please excuse me while i ROFL...

if you have that much extra cash laying around it wouldn't hurt to share with someone other than Jobs once in awhile either...

:confused: why? Why not pay for something you'll use.

Do you have any idea how much bandwidth you're talking about? That kind of bandwidth isn't free.

You're downloading FULL copies of the songs, at a higher bitrate, without DRM. That costs money.

Its really still peanuts, you're just buying into their excuse. Steam lets you download your games as many times as you want (and one game easily larger then most itunes collections) without recharging you and they still make money hand over fist.

Charge per download is just another fee that idiots pay.

Its really still peanuts, you're just buying into their excuse. Steam lets you download your games as many times as you want (and one game easily larger then most itunes collections) without recharging you and they still make money hand over fist.

Charge per download is just another fee that idiots pay.

because steam has sponsors that support it, apple does not. Notice the ADS while you download things from steam initially? Notice the lack of them on itunes?

It's not peanuts. It's thousands of terabytes of data people would be downloading. Bandwidth isn't free.

dont listen to music?
i doubt that

I've played music on my computer maybe 5 times in the last decade. Never owned a stereo or radio outside the one in my car (which goes unused except for traffic/weather). I really don't see the appeal. It's some recording of random people making noises. I simply don't see any attraction in listening to something like that over and over again. I hear a song once or twice blaring from any of 1,000 other places and have no desire to listen to it again. Why would I when I could be enjoying the silence? I see no point in listening to a song more then 2-3 times at most, it's like watching a movie over and over... why?

Apple was the one who choose to go with DRM and the same people who now decided to drop it. Consumers didn't ask for all of this DRM thing, so its unfair they made the users pay for something that was Apple's own doing

If the users have to pay for all of this, then Apple can just simply change their mind when the mood strikes and its the consumers that have to pay for the cost

Psst, is there a newer version of Requiem that works with 8.02? [DO NOT POST LINKS TO IT, I AM JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF THERE IS A NEWER VERSION]
Thanks.

this. for the win.
Not really, considering that I'd rather just have the songs I like and not get any of the other filler garbage that they put on those CD's.

Britney: Alright, I've done one good song for this CD. What to choose from the crap list
Agent: How about singing Teletubby songs backwards just to fill the rest of it up. Shouldn't take longer than an hour
Britney: Good idea, hell I'll even Fart a couple of times into the Mic for one track, my fans will buy any "Crap" I give them
Agent: Ha ha ha, good one Britney, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

Psst, is there a newer version of Requiem that works with 8.02? [DO NOT POST LINKS TO IT, I AM JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF THERE IS A NEWER VERSION]
Thanks.

No, but those still running iTunes 8.0.1 thank you for informing us of this wonderful piece of software! :D

//[T.0.P]//;1033598030 said:
If the source of music is only coming from the radio, then I understand perfectly. But you not caring about music is very interesting. I feel like taking you in and running some tests to see if you're from this planet. :p

Sorry, don't terribly feel like being a gunnie pig for a huminoid, err for you. ;)

Apple was the one who choose to go with DRM and the same people who now decided to drop it. Consumers didn't ask for all of this DRM thing, so its unfair they made the users pay for something that was Apple's own doing

If the users have to pay for all of this, then Apple can just simply change their mind when the mood strikes and its the consumers that have to pay for the cost

no, the music industry is. if you don't want to pay, don't pay.

Not really, considering that I'd rather just have the songs I like and not get any of the other filler garbage that they put on those CD's.

Britney: Alright, I've done one good song for this CD. What to choose from the crap list
Agent: How about singing Teletubby songs backwards just to fill the rest of it up. Shouldn't take longer than an hour
Britney: Good idea, hell I'll even Fart a couple of times into the Mic for one track, my fans will buy any "Crap" I give them

if this is really an issue for you, then I feel sorry that you're "trapped" listening to Top 40 music. I own the album for every MP3 I have because I respect the artists and all of the artists I listen to still believe in the concept of the "album" as an artform.

I see no point in listening to a song more then 2-3 times at most, it's like watching a movie over and over... why?

Perhaps you should look into classical or jazz music, where that statement simply is false. I don't listen to anything else nowadays.

I see no point in listening to a song more then 2-3 times at most, it's like watching a movie over and over... why?

...are you for real, or just fanning the fire? :confused:

Listen to some progressive, jazz, or classical music some time. You can listen to that music a hundred times and still hear something new every time it plays.

Nemesis999 I can understand your feelings. While I still listen to music, I find as I get older I listen to less and less. I used to sit in my room in college and listen to tracks and search for songs for hours. Now that I only live about 4 minutes from work, I don't get to listen to music in the truck. I still occasionally download songs for myself. My wife however still listens to a lot of music. I download quite a bit of music for her. I finally just gave her my login to Itunes and Amazon so she would not have to ask me, she could just search and get the songs herself when using my system. I told her to always check Amazon first so I would not have to remove the DRM from Apples songs.

...are you for real, or just fanning the fire? :confused:
I really just have little interested in music. I never listened to it as a kid, or a teen, nor very often as an adult.

Listen to some progressive, jazz, or classical music some time. You can listen to that music a hundred times and still hear something new every time it plays.

Except the problem where it will just bore me. :D Same problem as with any other music.

Hey you want to know a great solution? I found one. Noteburner. $34 and it freed all my music.
Sounds just as great as it did under iTunes and now I have Song Bird I can use for my music player.
I AM FREE AS BIRD NOW!!!!

because steam has sponsors that support it, apple does not. Notice the ADS while you download things from steam initially? Notice the lack of them on itunes?

It's not peanuts. It's thousands of terabytes of data people would be downloading. Bandwidth isn't free.

Ads? No. I don't watch Steam while I download stuff. download, minimize Steam and do something else.

Why would you pay for the songs you've already heard a million times on the radio?

Sorry, but if all you listen to are the songs you like, then you're mostly finding whatever the AR hacks want you to hear.

But it's all pointless, because most people want every song to sound as familiar as the song they've heard a thousand times already....and you can't get that if you're not willing to listen to the unfamiliar songs many times before passing judgment.

Doesn't matter - they're there. Content hosting is donated for ad space.

I suspect the ads that pay for it are ads for the games that are on sale in Steam. It's analogous to Labels Best Buy to a new album in the best location on the shelf or perhaps in a specific Display on the floor. I would be surprised if that doesn't occur on iTunes as well.

In the end, I don't' think it matters. An AAC file is at most a few megabytes. A game can be a few Gigabytes. If the ads can support me downloading my free copy of Half Life 2 three times, then I'm pretty sure apple can afford to let people re-download their collections for free.

Frankly, that is the only plus I can see to Steam is that if you have an HD die, you can just re-download it and go again....it's not as convenient as physical media, but if you've got kids that play Frisbee with GTA DVDs, then it's a great choice.

Without that ability, digital purchases make no sense to me. Of course I think buying lossy audio files is dumb, so I'm biased.

Back