ITX that would be very desireable (imho).

ViDA

n00b
It seems that all of the manufacturers are after extremes. On one hand we have 90-150 watt intel atom / via or C2Duo/i3~ home theater systems, and on the other side we have itx cases that can take pretty much any power supply, are overly large, and made out of steel and plastic, thus defying the whole reason of being compact enough to be carried in a small bag to work/lan party/etc. The few and proud exceptions that I see around are couple Silverstone cases ( which still are made out of steel and/or catered towards home theater pc's ), the Lian Li's start out well and then get too large too fast.
An ideal compact power house pc for me would just have Space for:

Small Power Supply ( 450watt Silverstone = awesome )
Just enough to fit a middle-high range gfx card ( 5850 )
Low profile cooler/ compact WC setup
Slim Blu Ray/ DVD drive
1 HDD ( 2.5 inch is enough really )
Aluminum construction for looks and weight
Thought put towards mobility ( rounded corners, flush buttons, etc )

Thats pretty much it. Sounds like a description of a product that should already exist, but for the life of me I can not find a single one and I have been looking for a long time. Da Box itx looks very very nice at the moment, but it looks like the release date is not quite there yet.

I apologize for the rant, but is there anyone out there after the same thing? Or am I just simply too picky?

I agree, none of the so called SFF itx cases appeal to me other than the sugo 05. I just want more companies leaning toward the SFF crowd; like I'd love to see a ROG itx mobo from ASUS or a SFX 600W PSU from corsair.

the mini-ITX from Lan Gear is believed to be expected to ship in about 2.5 months time (I think I got that right).

I'd love to see a 400-500w fully modular PSU

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd be interested in the same thing. Except room for two 2.5" drives would be better.

By fully, did you mean that even the 24Pin power cable is detachable?

that would be even better.. That way you could buy the power cables in a length that suited you instead of having a modular PSU with 30" Power leads that are attached..

I've managed to put a low profile GTS250 and a 300W flex PSU in my ISK300... no cutting involved.

Wiring is still a mess, and I've gotta replace the crappy slab of a heatsink Sparkle has on the card, but after that it all fits no problem.

ISK300... thats awesome, but Im talking about a case like this:
http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/htpc_m10.htm
But the one Im looking for would be a little longer, a little higher, just enough to fit the 5850 and 450watt silverstone power supply
To me itx is not a fetish towards a slightly smaller case sitting on a desk and being compared to a can of beer. I feel that modern itx format should be functional, portable, powerful and aesthetically pleasing.
I move quite a bit, so a small portable powerful system is what I seek. Get a notebook you say, but modern notebooks are underpowered, un upgradeable, have horrible displays and would cost considerably more than a small
powerful itx setup.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think you're gonna get any smaller than the SG05 for what hardware you're wanting to put in there.

There are smaller cases with a full height expansion slot, but they usually use a riser and cover the CPU... blocking the only spot you could possibly put a radiator.

Seriously though, you think the SG05 is big? Or is it just an aesthetics thing?

I think the PC-Q08 is a great size, but I have a lot of hard drive space that needs housing...

I think you could be able to run a 5670 and a celeron e3200 inside that case with a ribbon riser would be an interesting project but the case is way too expensive

Sorry what I meant was a case like that, but a bit longer and a bit taller to have enough room to fit the hardware.

Izza: partially yes aesthetics as well, I mean a steel case with plastic front and a whole load of sharp edges just does not float my boat.
Why cant they take the same U shaped aluminum frame approach they use with FT01 or 02 or Tj, and use that for a small case. It would use
considerably less material than FT 02 or Tj's while still being light small and very tough. The bent frame also provides nice rounded corners
for easy no hassle transportation.

Last edited:
that would be even better.. That way you could buy the power cables in a length that suited you instead of having a modular PSU with 30" Power leads that are attached..

Having a modular 24pin is kinda of pointless. If it's too long, you can always cut it shorter and re-pin it.

Sorry what I meant was a case like that, but a bit longer and a bit taller to have enough room to fit the hardware.

Izza: partially yes aesthetics as well, I mean a steel case with plastic front and a whole load of sharp edges just does not float my boat.
Why cant they take the same U shaped aluminum frame approach they use with FT01 or 02 or Tj, and use that for a small case. It would use
considerably less material than FT 02 or Tj's while still being light small and very tough. The bent frame also provides nice rounded corners
for easy no hassle transportation.

How about the Hoojum Cubit 3? Granted, it's not everything you want, but the most critical part (the structure) is there, I believe.

I'd love to see some VIA technology come into the mainstream market a bit more,

Back