Ive been debating upgrading my i5 2400 to a i5-3570K

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Not sure if I should upgrade to a i5-3570K. I bought a 7950 and I am wondering if moving to a new CPU will give me a big boost or is my current 2400 fine for now. I am not much of an overclocker so lets say at stock would the upgrade be worth it?

Not sure if this is statement is true or false but someone which the name im not going to say PM'ed me this. I dont follow tech as i should but the last I checked there was almost no difference from 2.0 to 3.0

you have a board capable of running pci 3.0 and a graphics card that is capable as well you should really think about selling your cpu and getting a 3570k at least or even a 3770k, it would make a big difference in gaming, running pci 2.0 vs 3.0 can be as high as 50 fps gain but on the average more than 30 fps gain on the same card and set up with a pci 3.0 capable cpu, it might be the major limiting factor if your only going to run single gpu

That statement is 100% false. Your 7950, even OC'd heavily underwater would never reach the x16 PCIE2.0 bottleneck.

In fact, even with two 7970s/680s at x8 PCIE2.0 there would be only a slight (single digit %) increase when moving up to PCIE3.0 x8 or x16 x16 2.0.

You've got no reason to upgrade.

Not even close to true. The only way you're going to see a noticeable increase in FPS by upgrading to IVB is if you run a crazy eyefinity setup with crossfire / SLI cards. You won't see anything like 50 fps, likely more like 1-2 after you upgrade if you have one card and one monitor.

ok thanks. as I said I was not sure. I knew that it sounded shady. I dont follow hardware like I used to but i knew that the increase he mentioned was bogus

The only thing you'd gain is CPU OC'ing. And even then, you'd likely only see marginal, single digit FPS increases in games.

So whomever PM'd you that, well, yeah...already been said.

HardOCP just tested PCIe 2.0 vs PCIe 3.0 and found very little difference. See here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/

So do not fret if you are on a Sandy Bridge PCI Express 2.0 system, you aren't missing out on a bunch of performance compared to an Ivy Bridge PCI Express 3.0 system. Most of our readers will likely benefit from higher CPU overclocks on Sandy Bridge anyway if you are truly pushing the CPU clock and this alone will likely negate any "advantages" from PCIe 3.0 or Ivy Bridge IPC when it comes to real-world gaming scenarios. PCIe 3.0 is a great evolution, one day it may actually support a better gameplay experience compared to PCIe 2.0, but that day is not today.

The only thing you'd gain is CPU OC'ing. And even then, you'd likely only see marginal, single digit FPS increases in games.

So whomever PM'd you that, well, yeah...already been said.
That certainly does depend on the game, though as some are more CPU bound than others. That said, most modern games seem to benefit more from a more powerful video card as long as the CPU is not a bottleneck.

Is your current setup lacking in any applications you currently use? If not, I wouldn't even consider an upgrade unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

id be interested in buying your 2400 if you upgrade so i ca upgrade one of my machines

Sell sell sell... Now that people want your old CPU. IMO the upgrade would be for purposes other than current GPU bottlenecks. In fact it would be a huge scandal if an upgraded bus came late to the game for GPUs. As far as upgrading your CPU, if it's a drop in and you've budgeted for it then it can make alot of sense. You'd also be able to OC easier. Which if done right can extend the Usefull life of your build.

I knew upgrading my CPU would make a little difference but not that much. Im not stupid enough to believe that 2.0 to 3.0 would result in a 50 fps gain. I did read kyle's Review and he said it was a minimal gain.

The guy who sent me that PM said that the gain is because AMD/Nvidias newer drivers have shown a major FPS improvement & thats why there is a 30-50 fps gain. I knew that was false because that cant happen.

The only thing you'd gain performance in by upgrading to PCI-E 3, would be a few GPGPU applications. (And artificial benchmarks)
I don't remember which specific article it was, but AnandTech did a write-up on it a while back.

Back