I've got a $1000 set of headphones, and no way to use them.

sharkapult

Limp Gawd
My dad's former company bought all the pilots sets of Bose Aviation headphones (model number AH-BG), with active noise cancellation. When he joined the new company (which bought out the old one), the headsets were no longer compatible with the airplanes, and have sat upstairs in my dad's closet for 10 years.

He gave them to me to use as a headset, but there's a catch: it's a panel plug. Which is some 9 pin circular adapter. I need to find an adapter that goes from the the 9 pin adapter to a standard headphone jack and microphone jack. And, apparently, it needs power as well.

Anyone know where to go looking for such an item?

My dad's former company bought all the pilots sets of Bose Aviation headphones (model number AH-BG), with active noise cancellation. When he joined the new company (which bought out the old one), the headsets were no longer compatible with the airplanes, and have sat upstairs in my dad's closet for 10 years.

He gave them to me to use as a headset, but there's a catch: it's a panel plug. Which is some 9 pin circular adapter. I need to find an adapter that goes from the the 9 pin adapter to a standard headphone jack and microphone jack. And, apparently, it needs power as well.

Anyone know where to go looking for such an item?
1. Bose's actual consumer audio headphones are pretty terrible. They're okay, but only worthwhile if you can find them for about...oh, 10-15% of what Bose sells them for.
2. Why are you trying to use pilot headphones? You'll almost certainly spend more on rigging those up than you would on a good high-end pair of headphones from Sennheiser, Grado or Beyer. Plus, I have to imagine those things are not exactly designed for audio/games...since they're intended only to hear human speech, I can't imagine the frequency response even goes below 1khz. Unless you listen exclusively to audiobooks or people talking to each other, in which case, the $100+ you'd probably spend rigging them up might be worth it.

I'd sell 'em on eBay and use the cash to buy a pair of phones explicitly designed for what you're trying to use 'em for. You could probably get enough out of them to even buy a good amp, too.

High end NC headsets are great if you're a pilot and need to hear the radio well over the relatively consistent background noise of a plane. OTOH it's not that great a headset for consumer purposes. If you can get anything near the value you quoted for them, do that and you'll be able to buy a very nice replacement.

Sell the BOSE..Get real headphones......BOSE equals Skull Candy. I read that the BOSE aviation headset isn't that great, and unliked by some pilots. Guess it's the BOSE sound, missing frequencies and bloated bass.

BOSE equals Skull Candy

I wouldn't buy either for consumer audio...but in this case the problem is more that he has an extremely specialized device for a purpose he doesn't plan to use it for.

If you can actually get $1000 for this resale...that will get you some really nice gear.

Or some really nice gear, and money to spend on...

stuff.

You could keep them for the novelty though.

I'm not sure how well you can infer the price of headphones from the price of its AC adapter.

Um, I didn't. I inferred the price of the headphones by looking up the price. And found a brand new set on ebay that was sold for $120.00.

I then proceeded to help answer his question by looking for what he was looking for.

Back