Iwill Dk8n

OPTERON

Weaksauce
Expansion Slots
1 x AGP Pro/8X
1 x PCI-X 64bit/133MHz slot or 2x PCI-X 64bit/100MHz
2 x PCI-X 64bit/66MHz slot
1 x 32bit/33MHz PCI slot

is listed as what it has for pci and agp ports..

i see the 1 x 32bit/33mhz pci slot for normal pci cards.. but would you be able to plug a normal pci card into any of the pci-x slots and it would still work? I recall hearing that some pci-x slots would downclock.. or whatever you want to call it if you put in a normal pci card in it.

I really like this board but i do need 2 32bit/33mhz pci slots... im crossing my fingers...

Also i have heard some reports of ati cards having problems with this motherboard. Anyone else know anything about it. I have a x800 xt pe that i would be putting in it.... if the board doesnt have problems with ati.

thanks for the help.

I have one of these boards and I can report:

ONE PCI (normal) 32/33 slot
ONE PCI-X 66 or (switch header) 33 slot
TWO PCI-X 133 or (switch header) 100 slot

Don't count on using the PCI (normal) slot if you have a bulky PCI card or AGP card. My Ultra almost covers the whole slot.

afaik the ATI would work, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, while the PCI-X slots can downclock to 66, I dunno if a normal PCI card would work in them, I doubt it would though.

A pci-32 slot can work in a pci-x slot, I do believe it needs to be keyed for 3.3v though, the 5v cards will not work.

3.3V PCI cards will work in -X slots. They are backwards compatible, IIRC.

http://www.burningissues.net/hard/DK8N_review/

i just found this review and from it i think it says that i can change a jumper for some of the slots to make them 33MHz... but i think it is still a 64 bit slot? so i think a pci 2.2 card would work in that slot if it was jumpered correctly?

am i right?

all this crazy pci-x and pci slot changing is crazy on this board....

OPTERON said:
http://www.burningissues.net/hard/DK8N_review/

i just found this review and from it i think it says that i can change a jumper for some of the slots to make them 33MHz... but i think it is still a 64 bit slot? so i think a pci 2.2 card would work in that slot if it was jumpered correctly?

am i right?

all this crazy pci-x and pci slot changing is crazy on this board....
As long as voltages on that slot is same as your card it would work.

It'll be fine as long as you set it right & the card supports 3.3V. Note that PCI cards are keyed for voltage though- there's a notch for 5V, and a notch for 3.3V. In other words, if it doesn't support 3.3V operation it won't fit.
A lot of boards have both. These days I'd venture to say most do. Once in a while you'll also find a 32-bit card that can do 66MHz. My Intel gigabit NIC can. Just have a look at your cards. If they've got two notches, they're capable of both 3.3V and 5V operation and will be fine in a 64-bit slot.
Generally speaking 64-bit slots in PCs are 3.3V. 5V 64-bit slots do exist though. I just can't think of any systems offhand that have one other than some Sun models. I'd expect some older systems did though.
I'm building a system on this board- parts should be here on Wed. I had to replace a couple of boards from my old rig I wanted to use due to the 3.3V vs. 5V issue.

Back