IX38 QuadGT USB Device not detected by BIOS

Ryck

Limp Gawd
Okay I posted this question over at the abit forums but just want to see what you guys think about this problem.

1)USB Devices(such as thumb drives, hard drives and CD Roms) are not detect by the BIOS and are not showing up in the Hard Drive Boot Order.

2) I have checked and USB controller is enabled.

3) I have made the USB Thumbdrive bootable using the HP Boot Tool

4) The USB devices plugged into the exact same USB ports are detected and work fine in Windows.

I think it is a screwed up BIOS because of the ports and devices functioning fine, and maybe a possible reflash or new BIOS may fix this.Have you guys ever heard of this kind of thing?

Any other possibilities that could cause this?

Hey Ryck,
Make sure that USB handled by Bios is selected (not OS, which is usually the other option). Also doesn't hurt to enable legacy USB device support in Bios, as well. Otherwise, time to get medieval and haul out the floppy drive.

Have you scrolled right down through all the boot order options to make sure that it doesn't appear under a different label?

Yeah it only lists my 3 hard drives as scsi and boot by add in cards these are the only four options I am presented with. Also when I try and select usb cdrom as a boot option under first boot order it just boots right to the first hard drive anyway.

Here are the only 4 options I see for usb and the options that I have selected.

On Chip USB Controller : Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller : Enabled
USB Keyboard Support : BIOS
USB Mouse Support : BIOS

I cannot find the legacy option in this BIOS

Well my floppy drive arrived today, so do you think I should attempt a reflash? Abit's site does not have the BIOS for this board, does anyone know where I can find BIOS 11.

Ryck, Abit sucks at making certain files visible to users. Here's a link:

BIOS ID:11
1. Enhanced the S3 compatibility.
2. Enhanced USB keyboard and Mouse compatibility.
3. Correct the CPU/DRAM Voltage function.
4. BIOS compiled date: 10/11/2007.

I guess some boards shipped w/ BIOS 10. Mine came with 11.

Abit's site does not have the BIOS for this board, does anyone know where I can find BIOS 11.
I guess that you are looking at the abit USA site?
It's the only one that doesn't have it linked (it's the only site that isn't run by abit's Taiwan HQ & is often not up to date).
get used to going to the abit Global site first.

of course you can get the 12 betas from the Beta BIOS sticky on the abit USA forums ;)

The BIOS that shipped with mine was 11. I was just hoping that a reflash may help correct the problem. What do you guys think?

I'm having great luck w/ BIOS 11, but reading some other site's forums, many people opted to go with the 12-beta right away. I also see a lot of those people having little problems here and there running that beta... i dont know. :confused:

I was never much of one for beta BIOS's unless i was backed into a corner by some truely painful hardware combination that I could not resolve w/o one. I'd reflash to 11 and see if that helps. You can always try 12 if it still seems funky.

Here's a link from the abit forums on how to flash from a USB drive. Sounds like you already did this but in case you haven't...
http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=121953

Yeah I already tried to flash using those steps, that was when I confirmed and began trying to figure this out. So I guess tomorrow I will probably hook up the floppy and try and flash if abit doesnt get back with me.

***Update***

Okay after trying to wait for a response to abit, I got a hold of someone and they said to try and clear the cmos. If that did not work, they said to contact RMA. Well the clear CMOS did not work. I still thought the board was okay so I tried to reflash the bios via floppy. I worked I now can detect USB devices in BIOS. I must have had a flacky BIOS or something.

The only other thing strange in BIOS, even before I reflashed, is that when I look at the detected detected sata drives they are displayed when set to ide but when set to ahci they do not appear in the standard Cmos Features menu. But they appear in the advance bios features menu under hd boot priority. They function fine and I boot into windows so all seems well.

Now on to abit to get said missing pwm fan retention clips. :) Will post pics later of my build.

I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. I've been watching threads on this mobo closely, as I am split between the ix38 and the ip35 pro. Keep us posted.

So far I really like the board. I love the layout as it really helped me with the cable management and was a descent fit for all the hardware I wanted to use with the PC. After resolving the USB device detection problem with a BIOS reflash I am really happy with it.

The only 2 cons and they really are minor cons at that are :

1) Does not include said PWM fan retention clip as mentioned in manual. I'm working on that with Abit, they seem not to respond to quickly to emails and I have to resort to the old phone call method.

2) Lack of included accessories such as a USB and firewire pci bracket. Many people have complained about this, but I look at it like this, the price for the board is really not that bad, so I can do without them including alot of extras like this as they are cheap to acquire if one really needs them.

Oh yeah this board posts really quick for me now that I switched to Sata Opticals.

Back