Jackpot? or What to do with 30 cpus?

Alternative D) you grab a drill and give every friend of yours the geekiest keychain they've ever had (possibly, I think my pewter Bobba Fett head is right up there).

Alternative D) you grab a drill and give every friend of yours the geekiest keychain they've ever had (possibly, I think my pewter Bobba Fett head is right up there).

Doing this with a bad die I can understand, but these are perfectly functional and relatively new (Feb. 2008) pieces of hardware!

The Intel® Xeon® Processor 5000/3000 Sequence L5238 is not on that list that was updated in Jan '09 (three quarters after the L5238 launch date). In my simple mind that means the ES policy does not apply to the L5238s. I will be calling Intel monday morning to investiage a little further if these are under some other policy.

The linked policy applies to all engineering samples.

The table just controls under which support section the piece will be linked to. I couldn't tell you why they only want it to be linked to desktop processor support, but I can assure you with 100% certainty that all Intel ES CPUs are under NDA/Loan Agreement

The table just controls under which support section the piece will be linked to. I couldn't tell you why they only want it to be linked to desktop processor support, but I can assure you with 100% certainty that all Intel ES CPUs are under NDA/Loan Agreement

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah I would watch out with those ES's.

If you use them in your own builds - you should be just fine, but the issue comes into play when you start selling them or exchanging in some sort of transaction like trading them.

They are loaner, ES chips that aren't for resale. You'll be treading very thin waters if you sell/trade them and they catch wind of it - especially since you posted photos with serial numbers and everything. Its very easy to trace that and it could just as well end up getting your relative in big trouble.

Let's just say that I am a very *trusted* source. Seriously

Last edited:
My relative was going to contact their Intel sales poc. Haven't heard back yet though...

Yeah I would watch out with those ES's.

If you use them in your own builds - you should be just fine, but the issue comes into play when you start selling them or exchanging in some sort of transaction like trading them.

They are loaner, ES chips that aren't for resale. You'll be treading very thin waters if you sell/trade them and they catch wind of it - especially since you posted photos with serial numbers and everything. Its very easy to trace that and it could just as well end up getting your relative in big trouble.

Let's just say that I am a very *trusted* source. Seriously

Grab some sandpaper, start sanding, and then it's ebaying time.

Wow you go some great connections there, I would jsut build a massive folding@home setup with those. Have you decided what to do with them?

So, what's the word? This is a pretty interesting story, and I'd like to hear what Intel has to say.

well the honest thing to do would be to sand off the tops and sell them as q9650s on ebay. then move to mexico before they discover the 4 missing pins. :p but you dont sound that honest.

I have seen ES chips for sale on eBay but I am not sure I would sell them myself.

Last edited:
Ding Ding Ding! We got a winner! ;):p

Only one problem with that... sanding 30 CPU will get old.

Not with my new Milwaukee orbital sander :p jk

So, what's the word? This is a pretty interesting story, and I'd like to hear what Intel has to say.

Haven't heard back yet.

I have seen ES chips for sale on eBay but I am not sure I would sell them myself.

There are a few up right now, most are out of Taiwan...

Hope they let you keep em, or trade them for something, like 30 xeon's for a extreme i7, sounds like a good deal to me (when you dont have to pay for 30 xeons lol)

this would be awesome for us folders, but Id hate to see something bad come of this

but +1 to start your own server farm, no one would ever know, except for the pics you posted of course....

I agree with these guys, if you don't absolutely need the money for other reasons and could make use of it I'd definitely build a cluster setup and make a video rendering beast. These chips fell into your lap for a good reason. I would use them instead of getting rid of them. ;) That would be one hell of a pretty nice beast.

Last edited:
A 120 core cluster might sound sweet in theory, but the wife is likely to get upset when she sees the power bill at the end of the month :)

To the OP: have you figured out what you're going to be doing with the processors? Are they going back to Intel or are they going to be donated for folding use?

I hear that. I don't think it would be too bad though, he's got the 35 watt chips. Just get a rack, stack em, and add mobo's and low power notebook drives. No optical drives, no endless monitors, no expansion cards, etc. Figure it would draw 1200-1500 watts full load continuous tops maybe? I wonder what that would cost running 24/7 though. :) Probably not much different from adding a large window air conditioner and running it 24/7.

Last edited:
then you could rent out the thing, run a server farm man!

Back