January 5th launch for GTX 295?

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I have been reading that the new GTX295 will go to retail on the 5th of January. My question is, will I be able to order it from the EVGA site that day? If not, does anyone have an estimated date? I dont have much longer on my Step up and want to know if its gonna be available before it expires. Thanks.

Seeing as how the GTX 280 is becoming the GTX 285, wouldn't it make more sense to call this one the GX2 265?

265 and 285 are reserved for the refreshes. 295 will outperform 280, so it makes sense to give it a higher number.

Shouldn't it be the GTX 560, since it is 280x2? Or maybe GTX 520 since it is more actually a 260x2? You've got to give it to ATI for keeping it simple 4850/4870/4870x2.

Anyone here who is upgrading please drop me a pm if you are selling your current gtx 260 video card.I am having a hard time finding a used one right now

So, I have been reading that the new GTX295 will go to retail on the 5th of January. My question is, will I be able to order it from the EVGA site that day? If not, does anyone have an estimated date? I dont have much longer on my Step up and want to know if its gonna be available before it expires. Thanks.

Yes, I am in the same boat here. My step up ends mid-Jan. I am hoping there is a window for an upgrade.

Chris

I hope this card drives down 4870x2 prices down, and other cards down as well. Mostly the 4870x2
though because it's held it's price point for way too long people. Be nice if the 4870x2 was like the GTX280 and dropped $200 within the first week. Shame on ATI.

Anyone here who is upgrading please drop me a pm if you are selling your current gtx 260 video card.I am having a hard time finding a used one right now

There are users on this forum selling their GTX260s. Just need to check the For Sale section on this forum.

I hope this card drives down 4870x2 prices down, and other cards down as well. Mostly the 4870x2
though because it's held it's price point for way too long people. Be nice if the 4870x2 was like the GTX280 and dropped $200 within the first week. Shame on ATI.
have you read Hard review ?

I am looking at getting a 295 myself. :)

PSU warning...

Ref link:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/more-geforce-gtx-295-card-shots/6274.html?doc=6274

If the 295's is rated at 289W TDP...

and our current 280's were rated at 236W Peak Power...

The 295 will be looking for about 53w's more than a 280, or about 4.4 amps @ 12v's.

We currently believe that a 17amp rail is required to run a 280, My best guess is a 295 takes every bit of a 22A video card rail to run properly.

OC'ed may want even more?

Check your PSU if using a multi-rail setup, to insure you dont just have 20 amps on your video card rails. I don't think that would run a 295. My Thermaltake ToughPower 1K unit has 36 amps on it's v3 and v4 rails, so I should be fine. :cool:

I'm feeling hard pressed to upgrade my 280 GTX SSC but if this card comes out anytime prior to January 24th then I will be within my Step Up period...

The preview for this card really didn't help convince me that it is worth it. Less RAM, smaller memory bandwidth... I may just save up my money and get a second 280 instead... :(

The preview for this card really didn't help convince me that it is worth it. Less RAM, smaller memory bandwidth... I may just save up my money and get a second 280 instead... :(

now that would be a real upgrade.maybe you'll be able to pick up a used (or otherwise cheap) 280 after the 280 refresh comes out. or step up if they're out by the 24th, i imagine that'd be ideal for you.

If I had an SLI mobo, I would get a second 280 myself and run SLI. Problem is I still love my Maximus and it's water blocks. :)

I am not ready for X58 yet...

I want the price to drop, and clear cut winner in the mobo/BIOS catagory first. ;)

A 295 for GPU, and 280 for PhysX will be fun to run for a while. I am buying this time, so I think we may see some new cards in the next 90 days to Step Into? Not sure. I am fine with it either way. If I sold my water cooled 280 and 295, I could probably pick up a 350 real cheep? :)

I am not sure if my Thermaltake 750W PSU will be able to handle GTX295??

Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V

Output +3.3@30A,+5V@28A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+12V4@18A,[email protected],+5VSB@3A

January 8-11th should see nVidia launching the 295 and 285. NVidia will also announce the GTX 300 series. Yay for CES :)

You need a 20A 12v rail, not 18.

Most PSU's have power amps divided up on multiple rails, I'm 99% sure his will run it.

18x4 = 72 but they aren't 100% efficient in combing power so it's probably more like 52amps.

If you want a monster PSU with only one 12v rail, I think PC Power and Cooling PSU's have that. Corsair one's either use only 2 rails or maybe one. Not sure. I think it's technically illegal to sell PSU's with one rail due to some fire hazard specification. Some PSU's will list multiple rails but will only have 1 or 2.

Back