Japanese Internet Satellite Hits 1.2Gbps

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to PC World, engineers testing a recently launched Japanese data communications satellite have succeeded in establishing a two-way Internet link running at 1.2G bps each way.

The speed represents a record for satellite communications, according to the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency and the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology.

Speed is fine. But they need to do something (if there is anything that can be done) about satellite latencies. It's measured not in milliseconds, but with a calendar.

Speed is fine. But they need to do something (if there is anything that can be done) about satellite latencies. It's measured not in milliseconds, but with a calendar.

Speed of light is constant. Geostationary orbits are 22K miles up.
Round trip = 44k miles. SOL = 186miles/sec

That means 200-250ms lag just in travel time. Not to mention equipment latency for each hop. Ideally the best you can hope for is 250-300ms latency.

That means 200-250ms lag just in travel time. Not to mention equipment latency for each hop. Ideally the best you can hope for is 250-300ms latency.

Ouch.

Actaully, you're wrong on the speed of light thing. You have to remember, it's travelling through three mediums (air, atmospehere, ~vacuum) of varying densities alone...
Even still, this signal isn't travelling at any theortical speed of light anyway :smug:.

1) miles of atmosphere = ~60, miles of vacuum = 22000K, difference = minimal . times two of course.
2) also radio transmissions do travel at the speed of light.
go stick your non functional smug smiley where the sun dont shine cowboy.

Like I said. Measured with a calendar :)

theres supposed to he a K behind that 186, but random ability to edit posts for the fail.

doesn't radio transmittions speeds depend on the size of the channel or something like that?

Exactly.

My father has Wildblue (1.5Mbps/256Kbps) and typical ping times to google.com are in the 1500ms range.

doesn't radio transmittions speeds depend on the size of the channel or something like that?

No, the speed of the transmission is (near enough) constant.
However the 'speed' of the connection (the amount of data that can be sent in a given time frame) is limited to the amount you can vary the signal before it becomes a 'blur' and therefore unreadable at the other end.
I suppose the size of the channel could affect that because it would determine how much 'noise' there is from adjacent channels.

When you look at total quantity of data that needs to be transferred, sure, bandwidth plays a role, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the energy that makes up the transmission travels to and fro.

Don't they teach people physics anymore? It hasn't been that long since I was a full-time student...

They dont seem to teach much of anything anymore. Im no expert, but I remember the basics.

When you look at total quantity of data that needs to be transferred, sure, bandwidth plays a role, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the energy that makes up the transmission travels to and fro.

Don't they teach people physics anymore? It hasn't been that long since I was a full-time student...

Physics is elective in most schools.

Apparently the common sense required to not comment on subjects you have no understanding of is elective as well, heh

You can't know everything mate. Some people are taught one thing and fed to the dogs (in this case, hardforums.com) when it turns out they were taught wrong. :p

Lord knows there's a lot of opinionated teachers anymore.

Whilst it's never going to work out for online gaming or something that needs a very low latency, it can still be used for a whole bunch of other stuff, like streaming HD video, large amounts of data etc etc etc. You guys make it seem like the technology isnt worth looking at, just of a half second latency.

I could use a 0.5mbit line for email/gaming and use that for my downloads, i would be perfectly happy :)

ya dish is prob going to be for steaming videos.

online ping related gaming is not going to happen on those.

most likely packets of p2p going to fly around.

Well for latency, it can work, by implementing it with a network of dozens/hundreds of low altitude satelites.... just like GPS. Just a couple hundred miles is alot different than a 48,000 mile round trip (or 96,000 miles by their description of current systems).

Frankly I cant for the life of me figure out why the US military hasn't already implemented such a system, to provide high bandwidth near instantaneous command/control/communications capability. So any commander can see over the shoulder of any SGT or LT on the battlefield in realtime.... just like in Alien 2 !!! :cool:

In fact piggyback it on the next generation replacements for the GPS system.

Add the ability to DEFEND themselves from enemy laser and missle attack too. That Airforce recruiting ad running now, with the exploding satelite blows my mind.

To paraphrase the ad: "So you're saying our sat systems are sitting ducks, you've known it for decades, and you've done not a fuking thing about it all this time? Does that about some it up? Yep."... go airforce. :eek::rolleyes::p

Look at China, they already have a reworked ICBM that can hit satellites. If they're any lower theres a good chance even more countries with the right resources could take them out pretty easily. They don't want their infrastructure taken out that easily.

according to the special theory of relativity, the speed of light is relative to the refractive index of the surrounding medium, however, it's constant in a vaccum ......assuming that there is no extraterrestrial interference, we should be able to get a 60 ping in call of duty 4 playing someone in Japan.

Back