Jerky Video playback in Movies/Games/Desktop

Need some advice on where to troubleshoot here...this is a recent problem that has started in the past few months.

Symptoms are general jerking in Windows 7 desktop windows. Any video playback has millisecond stutters every couple of seconds, video can be streaming online or on the hard drive and it does the same thing. The same video stuttering occurs in video games.

I have 4gb memory, 9600gt, E6600 Intel.

Sound playback suffers zero stuttering, just video does.

So far, I have uninstalled video drivers, reinstalled, run every known virus and scan I know of, defragged, switched HDMI inputs on my Hitachi.

Short of reformatting I don't know what to do now. Any advice guys? Could it be the DVI to HDMI cable going bad?

Well it could be a number of issues. It sounds less like a driver issue and more like a hardware issue though. Have you tried messing with your resolutions? See if you lower the resolution the stuttering stops or is less frequent. Have you checked the video cards fan to make sure it isn't caked with dust? If the GPU fan isn't spinning or is slower than normal that can cause it to overheat.

Yeah I tried messing with all the resolutions. Same deal. Not too much dust there, but I let the compressed air demolish it anyways.

Keep em coming.

What kinds of videos are stuttering?
What video player are you using?
What codec's have you installed/reinstalled?

If I have an issue with a video playing, then I usually use VLC. But my preferred video player is Media Player Classic.

I use VLC. Video playback stutters in VLC, You Tube, Hulu, Winamp, and every other video playback I've tried.

The same stutter also occurs when I boot up any video game regardless whether it is a FPS or RTS etc.

I can also barely see, but mainly feel the stutter when minimizing or opening windows and scrolling through the browser.

I use VLC. Video playback stutters in VLC, You Tube, Hulu, Winamp, and every other video playback I've tried.

The same stutter also occurs when I boot up any video game regardless whether it is a FPS or RTS etc.

I can also barely see, but mainly feel the stutter when minimizing or opening windows and scrolling through the browser.

Yea this is what leads me to believe its likely hardware. This is kind of a distance chance but have you bought a older used SSD recently? Older SSD's have almost zero cache and that can cause stuttering in just about everything (I've experienced this problem before myself).

At this point since its effecting everything it wouldn't hurt to back everything up , format the drive , reinstall windows and see if that cures it. Then you'll know if its hardware or software related.

SSD being a solid state drive? I still have the old disc HD's. I might as well bite the bullet and reformat tomorrow.

What you also could try, is to disable some of the harddrive trashing services like superfetch and indexing. Scheduled defrag is also something to turn off.

jerky video playback = computer is busy doing something else...do you have irq conflict or some software eating up cpu?

open task manager and put it on the process tab and when the machine gets choppy see what grabbed the CPU

If it is IRQ conflict, resetting CMOS or re-arranging your addin cards will usually fix that one if you do not have a Forced ESCD update option (that basically resets the PNP data in the BIOS)

See, I thought it felt like something was going on in the background too. I can't find a damn thing going on though...

Here is my process list. It constantly has this stutter even when typing this I can feel it.

vryh4o.jpg

As for an IRQ conflict....Windows 7 has my video card, sound card, and ATA controller all on the same slot. I went in and tried changing it, but the settings don't appear to be able to be modified.

It may be real time antivirus processes/services not operating as silently as they should. I've had some severe issues similar to yours when I used AVG. The scanner would hang the system for a minute or so if I opened folders containing lots of exe files, it didn't show in the task manager and the hard drives weren't thrashing particularly hard either. When I got rid of it those issues went away. Try temporarily uninstalling the antivirus program or at least shutting down all the processes associated with it to see if the behavior changes.

Reformatted....still doing it :(

So, how do I narrow down which piece of hardware is causing this problem?

Reformatted....still doing it :(

So, how do I narrow down which piece of hardware is causing this problem?

Well then its hardware based for sure. It could be a video card issue but bad video cards don't really do what your seeing. It could be bad ram , dieing CPU , dieing mobo. It could also be a power supply issue.

You'll have to switch out and try different parts to see if the problem changes at all.

Next thought is speedstep/eist/c1e power states, and windows power management. Try in windows first, go to the power management console in control panel, and change plan settings. There should be something about advanced power settings, change settings that are currently unavailable. Somewhere should be a processer throttling setting, I don't remember what it's called. Set all the values to 100% and this should stop the system from changing cpu clocks and power states on the fly. See if that does anything. If not, go into bios and disable the stuff I mentioned in the first sentence. In my experience on an amd system, I never noticed speedstep/cnq causing issues with video playback, but it did cause crackling in audio. Other than unusual hard drive caching or inadequate memory (you have more than enough ram) I can't think of anything that could cause this on a fresh windows install.

Yeah, I never enable speed step.

I went through all my memory, it isn't that either.

Either something went goofy in the processor or the motherboard...

Fuuuuu

WHOA! Time out.

I swapped HDMI Inputs on my television and it went away....

WTF?!?!?!?!

Then what you were seeing might have been seeing is "input latency" from the sound of it. You might have had it on an input on your TV that didn't have a game mode or PC mode option that auto enabled when it senses a connection. Or it could have been a faulty port.

Regardless at least its fixed :D

Back