Joined the RROD club...watching a DVD?

whrswoldo

2[H]4U
I guess it was bound to happen eventually, although I didn't expect that my 360 (or my roommate's rather) would brick watching a dvd. The strange thing is we were watching the disk in the HD-DVD drive which is external, and the 360 console was sitting on top of an entertainment shelf with unobstructed ventilation on the top and sides. Fortunately my console still works fine, since we don't have another dvd player in the living room that's worth its weight, and his console is stil under RROD warranty.

i thought MS fixed issues with RROD on all new Xboxes.
1: Who said it was new?
2: Making electronic hardware completely failure proof is impossible. Currently it appears that the new models are in line with the PS3 / Wii when it comes to reliability... but it's still too early to call.

I still have the same 360 I bought back in November 2006. Of course, now that I've posted this...

:(

1: Who said it was new?
2: Making electronic hardware completely failure proof is impossible. Currently it appears that the new models are in line with the PS3 / Wii when it comes to reliability... but it's still too early to call.

You are delusional !

The PS3 failure rate is miniscule... thats according to Sony and the general public's forum pages hardly even have a mention of a failed PS3. Barely any Wii failures either.

Ive seen dozens of posts about newer Xbox's still dying from RROD, including Elites. Not a mention from MS on the failure rate for new consoles.. all we have to go on is the 30% retail failure rate for older consoles.

This problem has not been fixed and will not be fixed until both the GPU and CPU have had their die shrink to reduce the heat, plus no doubt a whole handful of tweaks. At the moment, I wouldnt buy a new 360 unless you were prepared to send it away for 3-5 weeks atleast once a year.

Yeah... delusional, except I actually track these things:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10606421&postcount=7908

I've seen more 40gb PS3s die of drive failures in the last month than I've ever seen of falcon model 360s failing of anything (plus it's a pretty good comparison because they were released at pretty much the same time in the US). The amusing part is that I started tracking those stats to make it clear to people just exactly how shitty the 360s reliability is and then people accuse me of bias when I say that it's clear that the falcon machines are far more reliable than the old 360s.

Oh and just so you know... elite = zephyr model up until recently. A shitty stopgap which changed next to nothing.

i thought MS fixed issues with RROD on all new Xboxes.
This console was about a year and a half old.

The funny thing is my xbox 360 has had a lot more play time on games, is 6 months older, and was bouncing around in the back seat during a high speed crash and roll; it works fine. This console was used mainly for watching dvds.:confused:

You are delusional !

The PS3 failure rate is miniscule... thats according to Sony and the general public's forum pages hardly even have a mention of a failed PS3. Barely any Wii failures either.

Ive seen dozens of posts about newer Xbox's still dying from RROD, including Elites. Not a mention from MS on the failure rate for new consoles.. all we have to go on is the 30% retail failure rate for older consoles.

This problem has not been fixed and will not be fixed until both the GPU and CPU have had their die shrink to reduce the heat, plus no doubt a whole handful of tweaks. At the moment, I wouldnt buy a new 360 unless you were prepared to send it away for 3-5 weeks atleast once a year.

RROD has nothing to do with die shrinks. RROD comes from the faulty clamps and seating of the GPU. The fact that enthusiasts and technicians can fix it with several well known fixes proves this very easily.

I had my second rrod a few days ago.

Me too, although I'm kinda happy mine died. It was a refurb and made a rattling sound, it was that way when I got it from MS and I knew it didn't have long to live. Lasted about 6 months. Hopefully I get a better one this time with no mysterious noises.

This console was about a year and a half old.

The funny thing is my xbox 360 has had a lot more play time on games, is 6 months older, and was bouncing around in the back seat during a high speed crash and roll; it works fine. This console was used mainly for watching dvds.:confused:

Mine is about a year and a half old and it just RROD'ed as well. I don't even play games on the system very often. The only thing I've been doing lately is streaming divx files of Battlestar Galatica off of my computer to watch on my TV.

I did find it funny that when I brought my boxed up xbox into the UPS store to have it shipped back, the lady working there asked me "so, is that an broken xbox?" before I even got to the counter. :eek:

Two roommates have Xbox 360s. One is on his fifth. The other is waiting on his third from Microsoft. Just crazy the lack of reliability these have.

I don't know how but I still have a working launch 360. With all the stories you hear I am just waiting for mine to blow up.

I had mine RRoD a few days ago while playing COD4 online. Console was a little over a year and 3 monthes old. I had bought a 2-year warranty from Best Buy though (since at the time MS's warranty was only 1 year) so I just took it back there, picked up a brand new Pro console (with HDMI) and walked out of the store with my new 360 and $53 in store credit (the difference in cost between my old Premium and my new Pro.)

I called it after 3. I sold everything.
I hope the exchange/repair/replacement or whatever you decide to do works out quickly.

i dont think it had anything to do w/ the fact that you were watching a dvd....the thing was gonna break eventually and it happened to do so while you were watching a movie.

i actually know a kid who still has a working 360 that he bought at launch. its ridiculous too cause he doesnt take care of it at all. he has it sitting on top of another console and then he stacks all this crap on top of it.

i dont think it had anything to do w/ the fact that you were watching a dvd....the thing was gonna break eventually and it happened to do so while you were watching a movie.

i actually know a kid who still has a working 360 that he bought at launch. its ridiculous too cause he doesnt take care of it at all. he has it sitting on top of another console and then he stacks all this crap on top of it.

I totally agree; I used to think that all these idiots getting the RROD had their console wrapped in blankets and stuffed in an incubator running 24/7, but not any more.:p

The turnaround time is pretty quick now. I sent mine back on Friday and my new one was sent out today. Unfortunately the serial number starts with a 0, I wonder if that means I'm getting a close to launch refurb? :(

Mine hasn't rroded yet. I'm kinda worried now. I've had it for a over a year and it is still working, but it makes a noise whenever I play halo3. It doesnt't when I play a different game. Kinda weird, the halo cd isn't scratched either

Mine RRoD'd for the second time, so I sucked it up and bought a Falcon Elite off eBay for $430 shipped. Way I see it, if I can sell the Premium for $175, I've only spent $255 or so getting the HDMI port, a 120gb HDD, another wireless controller, another wireless headset, an audio dongle, and an HDMI cable. Those are all things I was in the market for beforehand, too. It's not exactly an awesome deal, but at least I'm off the refurb treadmill forever.

It's tempting to say "ditch the 360 forever!", but I have a substantial game investment, and more to the point, it's still an essential system for gamers this generation.

So the new SKU's with HDMI are essentially more reliable than previous versions?

So the new SKU's with HDMI are essentially more reliable than previous versions?
Not specifically the HDMI ones... there are some of those which were the Zephyr (stopgap) model. Old elites are this type mostly.

The new revision have 175w PSUs and yes, so far they are more reliable.

Not specifically the HDMI ones... there are some of those which were the Zephyr (stopgap) model. Old elites are this type mostly.

The new revision have 175w PSUs and yes, so far they are more reliable.
On the positive side, if your Zephyr dies an ignoble death, you at least have a chance of getting a Falcon in return. That's not going to happen, at all, with the original systems, since they don't replace non-HDMI with HDMI.

Back