Joining SFF

Evil Result

Weaksauce
Well the upgrade bug has started to bite. I have looked through review after review to select the equipment for my new system and now I call upon the big [H]ard brain to grill over the stuff

ASPIRE X-QPACK-BK/420 Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN 400W Power Supply
BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
Crucial 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256-P2-N525-AX Video Card
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black

I'm sure I could have gone with shuttle, but at some point down the road I plan to water cool this so space would be at a premium and i have read plenty of posts here and the Q-Pack looks like a fine selection with good cooling.

I have been having some trouble selecting a reliable power supply without too much junk and good airflow for a good price, i used the Hexus review of 34 power supplys to make an educated selction. HEXUS PSU (Power Supply Unit) Roundup. There was an article on the power usage from the computer but i don't know where to find it, but i'm not entirely shure this power supply would handle the load and the possibility of future water cooling, although i'm sure the MCP-655 wouldn't end up being much more.

The Tforce 6100 has enough for me i've looked at the 6150 but it offers more than i need of the same thing.

4400+ :D

For the Crucial ram i used the ram selection post on the form for some insight. If anything else i'd want something cheaper and just as effective as what i picked. i do plan on buying 2 sticks 512 MB, 1 GB seems fine to me.

I'm getting 2 hard drives for raid.

all the other stuff i feel happy with and i want to make sure i'm getting what i paid for and it isn't going to let me down. Need to know what you guys and gals think before i start going crazy.

Might consider a 4200+ (the cache doesnt help that much for the price, and you can OC upto 4600+ speeds easy) and getting 2x1GB sticks of Corsair Value ram.

PSU looks ok, dual fan would be priority considering the qpack uses the PSU as a primary source of air output.

i second the suggestion of getting 2x1gb of ram. if you're already spending so much on the processor and stuff, another ~$100 won't make that much of a diff, but performance wise it will. 2gb = good. also, since theres a gtx in there, im assuming ur gaming. 2gb is gonna be needed for games really soon, and is already semi-needed for bf2. they recommend 2 gigs of you want to play at 1600x1200, and i can't see you holding urself down to a lower resolution while having a gtx.

i strongly suggest a better PSU
the antec neopower 480W is one of the best
or one of the OCZs

CRaZYMoFo said:
i strongly suggest a better PSU
the antec neopower 480W is one of the best
or one of the OCZs
i think the fsp 400w should be ok if you're not oc'ing, but if you want to oc, im pretty sure ur gonna need a better psu as crazymofo said. neopowers and ocz's are pretty good, and you might want to look at the seasonic s12 series, too.

I looked at some review for the neo and the S12 both look like excellent power supplys but when i first saw the neo i was rather taken :) and the cable options for the neo seem better than the S12 although the S12 offers amazing power stability it just seems a bit much. Its a small case and the neo will keeps things a bit cleaner.

I looked at the Corsair and other ram in the relative price range and saw the OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory for 257 the corsair was 211 not much of a difference but it could give me the head room i'll need when i want to overclock. This is only if the OCZ is going to offer me the performance price difference, other wise i'll stick with the Corsair. Thoughts?

Just checked Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory

crucial ballistix or value ram :)
depends on how much u want to OC (or might want to OC in the future)
great ram

I looked at the Ballistix... a bit expensive for what i want almost pooped myself. im stuck between the Patriot the OCZ or the Corsair value.

From the reviews iv read the Patriot is the best overclocker for the value over the other 2. i wanna pick the right ram but something under 250 for 2 GB, help me :(

Back