Jugo4c's new AMD rig

DaveX

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally posted by Jugo4c
Whats goin on guys, i just registered and i must say after going to several different tech sites for info on my new comp I feel like i should be paying for the info i have gotten off of Hard OCP...
You all talked me out of the socket 754 a64-3000(waiting a year or 2 for 939) , i have not upgraded in like 5 yrs so i am kinda out of the loop but so far:

Bought:
Made by ATI 9800 pro
Antec Sonata 380 Tru Power
Hitachi CM 721f Monitor
TB Santa Cruz Sound Card

Will Buy:
Corsair XMS 3200 512x2
Barton 2500
Abit NFS-7

How do u guys think that looks?
will i need to buy a new heatsink and fan for the cpu or can i get 11x200 stock cooling??
Thanks alot, any help is appreciated, i hate to say im a newbie even though i go back to an old 386, but its time for me to get back in this and doom3/hl2 were good enough reasons

Jugo4c I posted a new thread for you since a reply is just not going to get the same # of responses. Stock cooling will suffice to get 200x11 but anything over that will need better cooling. The NF7-S is a great board for ocing. You got some good ram going there. You don't need that sound card since the NF7-S comes with great integrated 6.1 sound.

You might give some serious thought to 939-pin when it comes out late March/early April. I also would not get the A64 3000+ since it would only suffice for a short-term upgrade. But if you do decide to get a 939-pin A64 when it comes out, it will be pretty expensive. But it will also last you longer :)

I would have spent the extra cash (maybe like 170 dollars extra) and have gone with a A64 3000+

But if you could get your 2500 to 2.2-2.4 ghz that would kick ass.

First DaveX thanks alot for starting this post i appreciate the help, i had a couple more questions if that ok...
1.) i though if I used the integrated sound it will slow down my performance in appications such as 3d gaming?(why i bought tb sc)
2.)if i do try and go over 11x200 eventually, will that 3200 corsair xms be good enough or do i need 3500,3700 ram? can i safely oc the corsair to those speeds?
3.) i was looking at the zalman cooler and its like 40 bux shipped is that worth it ?
trying to get out of this cheap since will probably move to 939 next year.....yea i was thinken about the a64 3000 for a couple weeks but i can save about 200 bux on the mboard and chip goin this route which i can put towards the (939) chipset next year sounds like a better idea to me
Thanks guys

regarding the RAM ... you are better off with PC3200 low latency, wi8th tighter timing ...

the onboard sound is very good ... if you're an audiophile ... they are not the best ... but pair it with a decennt set of apeakers and they rick ...

if you are overclocking ... an after market heatsink is better ...

youve got the right mobo the nf7-s cant be beat. if you do decied to go with low latency ram ie mushkin lvl2 id suggest you hurry up and get it as mushkin has announced its out of bh5 and o more will be made, im sure somethign will take its place but till then grab up all the lvl2 you can. the onboard sound is good in analog but really shines in digital. i ran mine out to a yamaha 5540 reciever and i gotta say i was impressed

yamaha receiver ? is there a digital out on the board or how could i do that... i have an old home theater system in the closet.........
i thought i read an article saying on board sound kills bench marks by like 10%? in that case wouldnt a tb sc be better?

most nf2 boards have the ability for digital out some needs a add on card some like the asus a7n8x dlx comes with it already. and the sould quialty is night and day compared from analog to digital

Good choice, I've decided to put off on buying my A64 shuttle till 939.

And the Sonata is a kick ass case :D

Originally posted by neoreturns
And the Sonata is a kick ass case :D

Nice paintjob, not humongous, and elegant. But there's not that much space for watercooling, no window, and the finish is easily scratchable.

Originally posted by DaveX
Nice paintjob, not humongous, and elegant. But there's not that much space for watercooling, no window, and the finish is easily scratchable.

Dont like premod windows

Paint job is nice, I appreciate a mirror finish

I wouldnt get it for watercooling either, its nice for aircooling as it uses 120 mm intakes/exhausts so its great if you are going for a quiet pc.

Jugo4c:

1) Integrated sound on the NF7-S is great, it won't slow your 3d gaming at all.

2) If you decide to go over 200x11, you might need PC3500 (which is rated at 217mHz, or DDR433). If you only go some, like 215x11, that Corsair XMS PC3200 probably can oc to that no problem with a little more voltage and timings relaxed a little. But anything 220x11 or beyond I would get PC3500.

3) I have the Zalman cooler in question. Very quiet even at full speed, and cools good to boot. It is very reasonable at around $40 since a similar combo like the slk-947U and a 80mm Panaflo would cost around $50.

OK Guys i just ordered to rest of my stuff on Zip Zoom fly and New Egg.

-CPU= Amd Athlon Xp Barton 2500
-Mboard =NF7-S V2 ABIT ATX
-Ram=Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200
-Video=Ati Radeon 9800 pro
-Hdrive=Western Digital 120gig SE
-Case=Antec Sonata 380 True Power
-Cooling=ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU RT
-Dvd =Liteon 16x
-Audio=Onboard sound(returning tb sc)
-Monitor=Hitachi CM721fb

Well thats what its gonna look like, thanks for everyones tips, dave i bought that zalman cooler hope it works out 48 bux, and i went with that ram rather than LL i figure for a oc of 3200 the ram i got is cheaper and should hold up. I already ordered it all but how does it look and are there any recommendations or tips for installing or ocing all this stuff ? (does install sequence matter?, when should i oc the chip after 24hrs?, and do i hvae to mess with voltage or simply just change the fsb to 200, also whats the best ram timings for that set up at 11x200?)
THANKS EVERYONE if ya could answer those other questions it would be saven me a couple hrs of reading .......will post benchmarks prolly over the weeekend

Install Windows XP on stock speeds for everything. Do some Sandra burn-in tests for the first few days. Then start to oc. Raise the FSB a few mHz at a time (I recommend 2-5mHz at a time). You could also go to 200x11 right away but you might need to increase the Vcore to 1.675V or 1.7V (stock is at 1.65V). Then if you go on, test for stability using Prime95 (6-24 hours) at each step. If you hit a snag, up the Vcore or Vdimm or loosen timings. Then you will find the max eventually :)

you mgiht want to check if the zaleman fits the nf7-s, im not sure but heard somewhere it doesnt.

crap i never even thought to look into that..... lluckily i called new egg and had that removed form my order although they forgot to take the shipping fee off ill email them about that ...
whats the best heatsink fan to get that would fit on an nf7-s?

that fan is out of stock at new egg and i also read something about no molex connector or its hard to install?? is there any other fan recommendations

check out quietpc.com they have the scythe kamakaze for 35 bucks and its a real performer and very quiet. if they dont have the rev b in you will need to turn the fan around to pull air up thru the h/s instead of blowing down. im using one right now and it just kills the slk800/smartfan2 i was using. the thing is quiet at full speed with better temps than i was getting with the slk and it cools very well at its slowest speed and is silent.

Originally posted by [hard]420
youve got the right mobo the nf7-s cant be beat. if you do decied to go with low latency ram ie mushkin lvl2 id suggest you hurry up and get it as mushkin has announced its out of bh5 and o more will be made, im sure somethign will take its place but till then grab up all the lvl2 you can. the onboard sound is good in analog but really shines in digital. i ran mine out to a yamaha 5540 reciever and i gotta say i was impressed

I believe DFI Lanparty or infinity are way better than the NF7-s
because they hit higher a fsb easier than any other athlon board

i got a Thermaltake SILENT BOOST any one have any experience with it was about 34 bux shipped so not to bad

Originally posted by ALL4AMD
I believe DFI Lanparty or infinity are way better than the NF7-s
because they hit higher a fsb easier than any other athlon board

Way better? I don't think so. Sure, the DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B can hit 250 FSB better than the Abit NF7-S but it is also $158, very expensive. The DFI NFII Ultra Infinity is only $95 and is about as good as the NF7-S. They have similar features. The Ultra Infinity can reach a higher FSB oc easier but the NF7-S has better board layout. I'd say they're even.

as far as cooling, I got an SP97 with a 92mm 56db :))) fan.. Luckily I got a fan controller..

Way better? I don't think so. Sure, the DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B can hit 250 FSB better than the Abit NF7-S but it is also $158, very expensive. The DFI NFII Ultra Infinity is only $95 and is about as good as the NF7-S. They have similar features. The Ultra Infinity can reach a higher FSB oc easier but the NF7-S has better board layout. I'd say they're even.

Yeah but nobody's stating the numerous bios and multiplier issues with nf7-s. The only issue with the DFI boards is AGP performance with old video cards. Other than that, I'd say the DFI thoroughly stomp the nf7-s as far as unmodded fsb OCing goes. an7 pleads no contest.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_slk947

The SLK947-U is listed as not being compatible with REV 2.0s of the nf7-S on thermalright's website. Although it DOES work if care is taken whilst installing. It is a tight fit when mounting the base because it touches a capacitor but you can gently nudge it over to line up the mounting holes. The heat sink itself clears everything fine.

the SLK947 also has issues with the DFI NF2s.

The SP-97 DOES work fine on BOTH Abit & DFIs...and you should probably it get along with 92mm Panaflo :)
I can't say it enough...get the DFI :D

ahh edit: you went with the silent boost...from the reviews it's pretty good and is indeed silent ;)

Good luck :)

is the zalman7000a-cu incompatible with the nf7-s AND the nf7-s V2? The zalman site just says nf7-s

Originally posted by Jugo4c
First DaveX thanks alot for starting this post i appreciate the help, i had a couple more questions if that ok...

2.)if i do try and go over 11x200 eventually, will that 3200 corsair xms be good enough or do i need 3500,3700 ram? can i safely oc the corsair to those speeds?

i just hit 2.51 ghz with kingston pc2100. youll be fine :)

and welcome to the forums yo fo shizzle :p

Originally posted by mpcamer1220
i just hit 2.51 ghz with kingston pc2100. youll be fine :)

You are either running at a very high multiplier and low FSB. That will not give the performance boost that a lower multiplier and high FSB will give.

If you are using a memory divider, just do yourself a favor and give that PC2100 to a random homeless man and get yourself some PC3200 or PC3500.

You are either running at a very high multiplier and low FSB. That will not give the performance boost that a lower multiplier and high FSB will give.

If you are using a memory divider, just do yourself a favor and give that PC2100 to a random homeless man and get yourself some PC3200 or PC3500.

it was 11*233 or 234... is that a high multiplier?? and i dont have money for ram since my harddrive went blewie yesterday. :(

Originally posted by mpcamer1220
it was 11*233 or 234... is that a high multiplier?? and i dont have money for ram since my harddrive went blewie yesterday. :(

OMG...you're running a memory divider?? You should be shot. But seriously, you should NEVER run a memory divider on Athlon systems. Always run 1:1 no matter what.

Back