Just bought a 8G First Gen Iphone - Need help

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if there was a quick way to wipe this clean (i.e. format to factory defaults). I bought this from a rather ... "interesting" person who has a lot of music/internet stuff that I'd like to clean off.

It's already updated to 2.0, or so he said. (Not sure if that matters, I'm a total Iphone newbie!)

Any help you can give is appreciated! :D Also, if you know of any good Iphone sites, I'd be much obliged! I'm wanting to find out what my capabilities are w/o AT&Ts service plans.. Like whether I can do pre-paid cards and use wi-fi for internet usage, etc...

*Edit* - Also, can anyone confirm that $150 for this was a steal on my end? I'm pretty sure these things go for like $300+ on eBay..

As long as it works and you have your own SIM card ready to go, then yes, $150 was a "deal" in some respects. It's the original one sooo... $150 is ok considering how much the originals actually cost, but compared to the features and cost of the iPhone 3G these days, it's a toss up.

Using iTunes should make it relatively easy to restore the iPhone to a pristine factory condition and update it to the latest firmware in the process.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

That Apple Support KB article is relevant even with iTunes 8 which is new, and everything you need to accomplish is done with iTunes, start to finish.

Go to 2.1 ASAP! Everything from 2.0 to even 2.0.2 was some of the buggiest software I've ever used (it seemed like they wanted the general public to be beta testers). 2.1 seemed to iron most of these issues out so get there ASAP.

$150 is a steal, sometimes the old ones go for higher prices than the 3G due to high demand/anticipation of people selling them off.

Get 2.1 on that thing asap.

Wifi shouldn't be a problem, and if you want to use T-mobile data there is a fix for that as well. You can do everything but visual voicemail on T-mobile if I remember correctly.

Howardforums is probably your best bet for iphone tips and stuff.

Well you could have got a 8GB 3G for $50 more with a contract.

+1 on the 2.1 update....actually +10000

thanks everyone, i'll have to figure out how to update it to 2.1 later today.

The update is fairly easy. Just make sure you are using the newest version of Itunes, 8 I think it is. When you dock the phone, it will tell you there is a new firmware available do you want to install Yes or No. If you choose yes, when it's done your phone will be like a stock phone out of the box. It doesn't take very long either, going to 2.1 took mine about 10 minutes at the most.
Like others have said, just make sure you have a legit SIM card. If your SIM is active with ATT or whatever other carriers they use if your in another country, then when the phone has finished loading, it will keep the activation. All you have to do is re-enter your contacts and stuff.
Once your on the newest firmware, you can backup all your settings, so the next time there is a firmware update, you install the new firmware, then choose yes to restore backup and all of your settings and info is put back on. Pretty nice how it works.

If you unlock it don't download any firmware upgrades because it may brick your phone

after reading up on this stuff all day, i'm updating to 2.1 now and going to use "Window QuickPwn 2.1" to jailbreak/unlock it afterwards... i'm still not sure about the cheapest, most efficient way to use it though... any thoughts?

I use my Jailbroken/Unlocked 1st gen with t-mobile. I use a data plan that's only like $5.99 a month extra on my bill... Not as fast as 3G or WiFi but it's speedy enough.

I use my Jailbroken/Unlocked 1st gen with t-mobile. I use a data plan that's only like $5.99 a month extra on my bill... Not as fast as 3G or WiFi but it's speedy enough.

Same here, its so great and so much cheaper then going with AT&T, also have my gmail and work email on it as well and its smooth as butter.

also, a trick since you're new to this the mic is a button. So you can skip song by double pressing it or pause music when you press it once. Same goes for answering calls :)

Back