Just bought a Corsair HX620W (Noob Questions)

Chase023

n00b
I just received my Corsair HX620W.

I always wondered which side up on these damn PSUs.
I usually thought the Fan side up.

The Corsair HX620W has the fan on the bottom if the letters are right side up.
Which way are you supposed to mount this thing?? Fan up or Fan side on the bottom?

I always wondered and I hope someone could enlighten me on this.

Thanks

Fan-side down usually.

Depends on the case actually. If there isn't enough room for the fan side down to get air, then you can mount it fan-side up.

Thanks, It's for an Antec 900 case.

I know there is small gap under so I guess its okay fan side down.!

Also, if the case is on feet so that there is a gap between the bottom of the case and whatever it's sitting on, you could probably cut a hole out of the bottom below the fan so it intakes fresh cool air from below the case.

It should be fan side up in the Antec 900 case.

I just got the Corsair 620 which I am replacing another PSU in my Antec 900 which also has the fan up. It wouldnt make sense to mount the PSU with the fan down at least not in the Antec 900 case.

I guess to avoid any case-specific info, it should be fan to the inside of the case, not the outside. It is used to help exhaust the case. If you've got lots of air flow through the case, you could put the fan to the outside of the case.

The power supply was designed to be mounted above the motherboard in an ATX case with the fan facing downward. Corsair put the lettering on the case so that it would be right-side-up in that situation.

Since you're installing it into a backwards designed case, where the power supply is on the bottom, you will want the fan facing upwards, so that it can draw in air properly and won't overheat. Unfortunately the lettering will be upside down in this case. If you face that fan towards the bottom of the case in that 900, I guarantee you it's going to die a quick death.

The power supply was designed to be mounted above the motherboard in an ATX case with the fan facing downward. Corsair put the lettering on the case so that it would be right-side-up in that situation.

Since you're installing it into a backwards designed case, where the power supply is on the bottom, you will want the fan facing upwards, so that it can draw in air properly and won't overheat. Unfortunately the lettering will be upside down in this case. If you face that fan towards the bottom of the case in that 900, I guarantee you it's going to die a quick death.

Pretty much everyone with an Antec 900 has an upside-down mounted PSU in their case. Hopefully :D I pity the fool that mounts the fan right against the bottom of the case :p

I pity the fool that mounts the fan right against the bottom of the case :p

I pity the fool that can't figure out how to cut a hole in the case. With a proper hole and the case elevated off the floor, it should be fine. Add a filter for dust too.

I pity the fool that can't figure out how to cut a hole in the case. With a proper hole and the case elevated off the floor, it should be fine. Add a filter for dust too.

I pity the fool that buys a case, then has to cut a big hole in the bottom of it and put big feet on the case :p

I pity the fool that buys a case, then has to cut a big hole in the bottom of it and put big feet on the case :p

It's called case modding lol.. anyways..

So does it matter as long as it has ventilation, which side the fan is supposed to be on??

I also have the ULTRA X3 1600w in my TJ10 for a future project and I know there are grates on the bottom for air so for that as well, do I mount the Fan facing up or down?

What are the benefits and negatives of mounting the fans up or down (if it has a hole for ventilation?)

Dang I am confused.. LOL

as long as it can get good air flow it doesnt matter upside down right side up
sideways
the PSU doesnt care

Back