just can't seem to run stable with my q6600

kevinjp

n00b
Maybe I have a bad chip or mobo, but I haven't got past 2.8GHz stable.

I am currently running at 3Ghz (1333 x 9) but my computer restarts when I run Intel's Burn test, or threads crash/and sometimes I restart in Prime95.

I have bumped up all voltages.

Vcore - 1.36V
1.2 VT - 1.5V
NB - 1.6V
SB - 1.7V
and CPU VT @ max 1.55

I lowered my default memory timings from 4-4-4-15 to 5-5-5-15 and its running at 2.1Volts

Q6600
Asus P5N32-E SLI
BFG 8800 GT OC
OCZ Platnium PC-6400 2x1GB

Even though there could be tweaks and whatnot to get you past where you are, it is still entirely possible that you've got a dud overclockers. Obviously there's nothing gauranteed with overclocking, even some CPU's with the best reputations have an ugly duckling come through once and while.

I remember back in the days of 2.4C s478 P4's hitting 3.6GHz and up there were some people that only got to about 2.9GHz before hitting a brick wall.

Sucks if that is what you're dealing with, up to you at that point if you wanna keep it or sell the CPU and try again. :p

I just kept battling with it. I got it pretty stable at almost 1.4V. Running fine now. Must have been a black hole in the board, and its the 680i board, the SLI - Plus.

Thanks for the responses.

i believe it is the board, the 650i chipset doesn't run the quad very well
You have a good point mate, the nvidia based chipsets boards arent that great for quad chips, i had the evga 680i a1 (supposed quad core revised board), absolutely rubbish on my quad. Got a p45 asus p5q deluxe, havent looked back since.

Many 680i weren't aren't that great for quads...I've hit FSB "black holes" with my mobo as well so that does happen.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Back