Just curious why memory is so cheap now.

When I was pricing-out my ideal new system a couple of months ago, 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 were $200-$250 for decent brands. Now that I'm doing to same thing again, they're $80-$100. I'm not complaining ;) , just wondering why.

It's the excess stocks of DRAM who made the prices plummet because they expected a lot of sales with the Vista release, which didn't really happen.

It's the excess stocks of DRAM who made the prices plummet because they expected a lot of sales with the Vista release, which didn't really happen.

Vista's release actually spurred sales quite a bit for us and I imagine most other memory manufacturers.

Price of Ram always fall, especially when new timing or version arrives.
I agree 4months ago I bought the Corsair 2GB XMS2 for 160 with rebate and now they are $80 with rebate. That's half the price in 4months.

Yup, RAM companies had a pretty terrible year.

Some are saying that they're still banking on Vista to bring up sales.

Price of Ram always fall, especially when new timing or version arrives.
I agree 4months ago I bought the Corsair 2GB XMS2 for 160 with rebate and now they are $80 with rebate. That's half the price in 4months.

Well my old ddr ram still retails for $100 at newegg. Its odd that ddr2 prices have fallen off cliffs yet ddr remains almost unchanged. Either way i'm happy since i pretty much got to exchange my ddr ram for ddr2 thats over 2x as fast.

They are already starting to rise, at the end of June a lot of high quality overclocker ram was 70$ without any need for a manufacturer rebate (just normal sale specials). Now the same kits are often 100$-120$ and +

Because no memory fabs have burned down recently. :D That's somewhat tongue in cheek, but also somewhat true. The Vista factor is also in play, and also the overinflated price of DDR2 a few months ago made a lot of people wait to buy memory and/or put off motherboard upgrades. Basically there is more supply right now than demand.

ya i'm crying right now,... because I just purchased the 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 for $359 just back in Feb. Now it goes for $159 omg!! :eek:

Back