Just finished COD4 @ 1680x1050 on full settings on "hot" 8800GT...

BoostFrenzy

Weaksauce
Left the fan @ auto (nearly silent), BFG card is clocked 700/1000/1750, using CM690 chassis, C2D @ 3.2ghz, stock fans for cooling... played the game pretty much beginning to end and my card didn't melt, nothing crashed, no artifacts occured

I don't know why everyone's so hard on the operating temps, the bios calls for 90-100c as operating range, relax guys

Left the fan @ auto (nearly silent), BFG card is clocked 700/1000/1750, using CM690 chassis, C2D @ 3.2ghz, stock fans for cooling... played the game pretty much beginning to end and my card didn't melt, nothing crashed, no artifacts occured

I don't know why everyone's so hard on the operating temps, the bios calls for 90-100c as operating range, relax guys

also saves money on having to buy a space heater.

Heat is always bad for performance and lifespan even if the hardware can technically survive. Lifespan is probably not much an issue with hardcore gamers given that they will probably replace it before it dies anyway.

Heat is always bad for performance and lifespan even if the hardware can technically survive. Lifespan is probably not much an issue with hardcore gamers given that they will probably replace it before it dies anyway.

true, but the point i'm trying to make is if nvidia feels those temps are acceptable coupled with the fact that i didn't experience any artifacting/crashes even at the elevated clock speeds, i don't know why everyone's so hell bent on ~60c max, mine gets to 93-94c in atitool

90 degrees is just so goddamn much! I remember everyone shitting their pants when g80s hit 80 degrees, now it seems like 95-100 is still acceptable. maybe in 2010 the "norm" will be 150 degrees. Who knows?

While it may work at that temp, cooler is always preferred. Heat is death to silicon and transistors.

true, but the point i'm trying to make is if nvidia feels those temps are acceptable coupled with the fact that i didn't experience any artifacting/crashes even at the elevated clock speeds, i don't know why everyone's so hell bent on ~60c max, mine gets to 93-94c in atitool

Some people's definition of acceptable is often different than others. Some people like to keep temperatures in check inside their PC (hence the invention of watercooling) and others like to have quiet pcs.

While it technically could be acceptable performance-wise to have a pc that sounds like a jet plane and doubles as a heater, it's not always accepted by every consumer.

Personally, my PC was already loud, so a loud graphics card doesn't bother me. I'm not sure what my PC temps are but I haven't had any issues in that regard either.

you also have to remeber that just because YOUR card can handle 90 at load, other people cards can't handle temps above 80 and begin to artifact.

Temperature and noise aren't exactly linked. Higher temperature does _not_ equal higher wattage.

If they came out with a cpu that could survive 300 C (And of course, a motherboard that wouldn't be killed by the heat bleed-off) I'd buy it in an instant. A 150W Q16000 that can survive 300 C would probably reach, oh I don't know, 8-12 GHz? Although, it'd likely be using 200-300W by then. But that'd be okay, because with the processor at 250C, the ambient-processor differential would let us keep it there.

Since heat dissipation is based upon the difference between ambient and whatever you're trying to cool, you _want_ your hardware to be able to survive temperatures as high as possible. If nothing else, higher temperatures allow you to dissipate the same wattage with quieter/smaller heatsinks and less airflow.

The real problem is, silicon-based components can't tolerate high temperatures. After around 100 C, they start to wear out very rapidly. While it seems advances have been made in heat tolerance, the basic material is pretty damn close to its limits.

Now, to the question:
The problem is, people have had problems with both noise and heat. Sure, for you your card was stable, but others have encountered problems. Your "nearly silent" is not necessary the "nearly silent" of another. And, as previously mentioned, lifespan is affected.

Current gen. cards seem to be a lot hotter than the 7900 series (the last system I built). My old 7900GT under an 80watt peltier kept my card at 23 degrees C overclocked.

my new BFG temps are around 49C idle (fan @ auto ) and 70C (fan @ auto)

44C @ 100% Fan and 59C @ 100% Fan .

higher temperatures don't mean it is going to heat your room any faster, it is the same heat dump into the air regardless of whether the core is 300C or 20C. if anything, better contact makes your room hotter because it takes more heat off the core into the air

just see no reason to run the fan full tilt (and very loud) when the bios is calling for an operating range of 90-100c in the first place

higher temperatures don't mean it is going to heat your room any faster, it is the same heat dump into the air regardless of whether the core is 300C or 20C. if anything, better contact makes your room hotter because it takes more heat off the core into the air

You do realize i was joking, right?

Great game, huh? I personally loved the game and thought the graphics were awesome as well. It's no Crysis in terms of lighting and polygons but it looked great to me.

Back