Just got a free Dell Optiplex GX1

Bunkalnarf

Weaksauce
It was manufactured in 1997, The ram has all been pulled out but im gonna by some more today and the hardrive is gone. Does anybody else with a old GX1 wanna tell me some details. Like the maximum hard drive capacity.

Thanks

Man I worked with way more than my fair share of that box. Can you give me some details.

What Processor is in it? Most were P2 400's or 450's

For ram, any PC100 will do. Originally we bought about 1000 of them with 64 megs ram ;)

As for harddrives, back when that machine came out most were less than 20 gigs in size. Drives larger than 65535 Mbytes will be shown as only this size owing to a bios limitation. You can use a drive up to 120 gigabytes in size and you will be able to use it up to its full capacity.

I think some went up to p3-600's.

Above that went into the gx110's.

Tower or desktop? I still use the empty shell of an old desktop version as a foot-stool at work :)

We have a bunch of old GX110s that are being phased out. 128mb or ram, win2k, p3 700, 10gb hds. Heh, footstools more or less, yeah.

We had a whole pile of those back at my first job. With the right (expensive) kind of slocket you can get them all the way up to a 1.4 Tulatin Celeron (Or was it 1.3? I forget) as long as yours can handle 100fsb. I had a '98 vintage P2-333 GX1 on my desk at that job. I'm not sure if it could take a 100fsb chip. The later ones we purchased were 100fsb models though.
Just have a look at the proc. Slot 1 P2s had the speed, bus speed, and cache size printed right on them.

edit: One other thing- I don't remember what chipset these things had, but be aware a lot of 100fsb machines are very picky about 256MB modules. On a BX chipset, for example, you not only need double sided dimms but they also have to have the right internal organization.

Well its a PII the sticker on the front never lies ;). I dont know the clock speed. I am going to try and pick up some ram and a hard drive in the next day or two.

Just a few days ago, my grandfather gave me his Optiplex GX1. Specs are as follows:

Pentium 2 333MHz
128MB RAM
Integrated Graphics (I put a GF MX4000 in it)
Integrated Sound
40GB Hard Drive

It recognizes my 40GB hard drive, so I'd imagine it'll take pretty much anything.

it should take any 100mhz FSB CPU, so PIII's up to 1000mhz (w/slocket) or your best bet would be a fast celeron, like a 1.3ghz with a slocket that supports the tutilan (sp?) chips... with a fast hd and decent amount of ram (GX1 should have 3 slots, 768max IIRC) it should be quit a decent machine for internet/office stuffs etc...

geez... we had these in the high school computer technology class. we used 16 and 32 mb ram with a 3 gb hdd and an old socket 7 processor. good stuff.

joeframbach said:
geez... we had these in the high school computer technology class. we used 16 and 32 mb ram with a 3 gb hdd and an old socket 7 processor. good stuff.

that was probably a GXi, which is the socket 7 version, GX1 is slot 1 with 100mhz fsb support, GX110 is a slot 1 or a socket 370 with 133mhz fsb support (still have one of these running my weather station with a socket 370 piii 733 and 512mb ram, pretty quck machine still and does everything i need it to

Ah yes the venerable GX1. We have tens of those sitting around, they quite never make it the trash heap.:p They're good for beginners to PC modding (had several classmates do terrible things to them, lol) and are P2 or P3

Looks like im getting some harddrives! A guy at my dads work has a 2 gig and a 20gig.
20 is going in the GX1 and the 2 is going in my other box which will be playing mp3s of a network share through the stero.

If the box still has a service tag on it, you can look up the original config at dell.com including upgrade options and such.

Back