Just got a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample, question for other owners

Barnaby

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got this card, and it kicks major ass of course, but I'm wondering what everyone is getting for temps with the fans on full. I've seen mine spike up to 78-79C under load, and it seems kinda toasty.. Plus if I try to do detect optimal settings, it only says I can hit 401/1100.. I'm sure that's a SAFE estimate, and it could go higher, but I'm wondering how everyone else is doing, before I try tightening down the HSF, as I've seen some ppl say theirs wasn't on very securely.. granted I could be one of those who got one that will ONLY hit GS speeds, and nothing more, so while the card does work as advertised it won't budge over that.. I'm going to stress test it on loops of doom3 tonight at enhanced speeds to verify it's atleast stable at these speeds.

Those temperatures are normal. The 6800 GTs run really hot. Mine idled at 56C and hit around 80C during load with the stock cooling setup. With a waterblock on the GPU it stays at a steady 55C now.

I've heard that the BIOS voltages on the GSs are way too high though, as in, 1.5 volt instead of 1.3. My BFG 6800 GT was able to hit 445/1250, solid as a rock, at 1.3 volts. As soon as I flashed the BIOS to 1.4 volts, hoping for a better overclock, I was shocked to find that not only was it unstable at 445/1250, but that I had to clock it down to 420/1150 in order to complete a benchmark! Temperature wasn't an issue either, as my GPU never exceeded 60C (watercooled). I increased to voltage to 1.5 volts next, and then my card was unstable at 420/1150 and had to be brought down to about 400/1150, temperatures still hovered around 60C under load. My advice would be to drop your voltage down to 1.3 for the 2D/3D setting in the BIOS, and then test your overclock, I'm betting you'll get significantly higher clocks at a lower voltage.

intersting point.. I remember reading about how to check this, but can't find the thread. Which program do you use to view the bios, and which option is for the voltage? I'm curious on what's it's set to with the latest gainward bios.

I normally run my Gainward at 420/1100 with 2D fan speed at 60% and 3D fan speed at 85%. Idle temp is normally in the low 50's and load is in the low 70's. The highest clock rate that autodetect has ever...detected was like 413/1100. The highest I've ever clocked it was 440/1150 to run 3Dmark05, but I didn't check the temps.

I run mine at 417/1.13 which is pretty much what it autodetected to. I think I run the fans at 100%, since I never installed anything to monitor or control the fan speed based on usage, unless it does that automatically. Temps are about what you see, maybe a few degrees lower.

The bit about the voltage is interesting. So the GS bios gives the card more juice than it says....is it possible they designed it that way to help ensure it could reach Ultra speeds?

Anyway, I never checked to see if the HSF was tightened securely, but in my handling of the card so far I never felt like it wasn't seated properly, but things can happen during shipping.

Back