Just got a Q6600

Ang

Gawd
It is installed with stock cooling except I put AS5 on it. But, when I idle I am Idling at about 40 degrees C.. then when I play Counter-Strike: Source it goes up to 85!!!

Something is wrong here.. I am using realtemp 2.6 to check my temps... so I'm not sure.

I guess I can try reseating the HSF.. but that temperature is ridiculous. I am surprised my computer didn't shut down. But the surrounding air around the processor is not even hot.

Could be the cooling inside your case. What case do you have?

Though IIRC, that's could be the normal temps for the Q6600 with the stock HSF. Though reseat the HSF and reapply AS5 just to be sure.

Ya the stock HSF sucks for quads, it get's too hot and then just keeps heating up.

Well, my friend has the stock HSF, with the stock Thermal Pad on the bottom.

He gets almost the same as mine. His is around 80 as well.

But I guess it's time for a new cooler lol.

The case though has 2 fans, 120mm Thermaltake fans.. they run 100% all the time. They are the red and black ones. I think like 80CFM or something like that. I'm thinking about getting Arctic Freezer Pro 7... Not sure yet though :)

The case itself is just a regular Mid-tower. And also there is a PSU fan, antec 650w earthwatts. 120 mmfan.

I'd strongly recommend something better than the AC Freezer 7 Pro for a quad. The Xigmatech HDT-S1283 or Zerotherm Nirvana NV120 would be far better choices.

I idled 50C across all 4 cores with the stock cooler.
I was too scared to even check the load temps...
:(

My chip runs hot in general though, but yeah I saw similar results as you and your friend.

The AC Freezer Pro 7 will be fine if you're running at stock, but I recommend you spend a little more and get the S1283, it's a far better cooler.

With the s1283, do I have to buy the back bracket thing? Or does it come with it?

My Q6600 idles in the 30s and peaks at 60C with all cores at 100% - this with the stock HSF and thermal compound. Something tells me you have some other problem if your temps are much higher than that. Are you sure your case air flow is good enough?

did you apply the proper amount of AS5 and remove the Paste tape on the bottom of the stock HSF?

I cleaned the bottom of the stock HSF with Alcohol.. and I applied a very thin amount across the entire heat transfer part of the proc. I know some people say that you just have to apply lines across the Cores, but in theory, spreading it across the whole processor would function the same because all it's doing is filling the space of air.

but my other friend who has the same proc, he is using the thermal tape that was on the bottom of the HSF. Other than that, The side of my case is off, and there are 2 120mm fans exhausting right next to the processor otherwise.

Anyone know cheap places to get the xigmatek?

Looks like it's $44 shipped on new egg.

I will be emailing Daniel at xigmatek.. what do I write in the email?

Those temps sound high even for stock cooling. How's your case ventilation. My temps max out in the mid's under load while o/c'd at 3.4. I like my Zalman 9700 cooler.

The Ninja is a good choice if you want a passive setup. Though even with a fan, the Ninja gets beat out by the Xigmatek.

Ok, well I just bit and bought the Tuniq Tower :D..

With these Heatpipe Direct Touch things, do I have to worry about which way I face the Heatsink?

With my Q6600 and the Tuniq Tower how would I orient the HSF? After reading, some say if you mount it a certain way only 1 heatpipe will actually touch.. or am I reading too far into it? I was just going to mount it so the fan blows air into the back of the case.

Yeah, set it to blow in the direction of your case airflow... usually front to back, unless you have a blow hole in the top. That way it will pull air past your ram and cool it, but not pull hot air from your video card past your cpu cooler.

Just FYI, I have a q6600 @ 3.6GHz and it peaks at 62C under load, which is all the time, cause I'm folding. I'm using the TRUE's smaller cousin, the Ultima90. Same heatpipes and fins, just a smaller overall size and weight.

Yeah, set it to blow in the direction of your case airflow... usually front to back, unless you have a blow hole in the top. That way it will pull air past your ram and cool it, but not pull hot air from your video card past your cpu cooler.

Just FYI, I have a q6600 @ 3.6GHz and it peaks at 62C under load, which is all the time, cause I'm folding. I'm using the TRUE's smaller cousin, the Ultima90. Same heatpipes and fins, just a smaller overall size and weight.

Ahhhh now I'm understanding how you're 10c cooler than me, folding does not equal full load, just curious what's your temps with 4 instances of prime95 or dual orthos running?

Ahhhh now I'm understanding how you're 10c cooler than me, folding does not equal full load, just curious what's your temps with 4 instances of prime95 or dual orthos running?

Make sure it is Prime 95 small FFTs too :p And if you get Prime95 version 25.6 (or maybe its 26.5) then you can run four instances in one window.

I wouldn't even bother with the stock HSF on a quad. I have a Tuniq Tower too and it does a great job. Mine runs in the high 20's at idle and mid to upper 40's on load (it's a Q6700). I don't know if it matters that much how you orient it on the CPU, but I have mine placed such that it is exhausting straight into a 120mm case exhaust. The little shark fins point down if you are looking at it with the case upright.

Wellllllllllllll...

i just installed my beast of a tower (actually it's smaller than it appears in pictures) and my idle is around 30 celsius.. and when I play CS:S it only goes to 40 :).. much bettter than my Idle 50 and CS:S 80-90!!!

Back