Just got BattleField2. advice?

Max-Powers

Gawd
I am mainly looking for the servers you guys play in. maybe a [H]ard server? somwhere where there arnt 20 team killing vehicle crashing newbs.

Also, any other advice you can give me on gameplay? whats some good websites? I played it for 30 min and love it so far. I really want to get into this game

In game name FearThePenguin

Blinkme323 said:
My best advice would be to return it.
Though that statement IS troll bait, I hate to say that I have to agree. Are you an uuber-l337 FPS m4573r? If not, this game will cause nothing but frustration.

If you do need a specific server, though, Comcast Ranked #39 is one of my favorites.

Max-Powers said:
I am mainly looking for the servers you guys play in. maybe a [H]ard server? somwhere where there arnt 20 team killing vehicle crashing newbs.

Also, any other advice you can give me on gameplay? whats some good websites? I played it for 30 min and love it so far. I really want to get into this game

1) Play stealthy and smart. I know a lot of new players have the wrong mentality when they start out. It's much better to crouch or lay prone and sneak around than to run down the middle of the street tossing grenades.

2) Don't become vehicle dependent. Vehicles are great and you can rack up a ton of kills if you know how to use them properly, but don't solely depend on them. However you should learn how to use all of them decently.

3) You really need to learn the maps and the little tricks of them. It's really hard to get used to the game if you're playing a different map every round with a different nationality.

4) Try to find decent squads and spawn on them. They'll help you out and you'll be able to pick up some of their tricks along the way.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

Try to spot as many enemies as you can. It's pretty awesome when you spot a tank, then air support rolls in for the kill. Or if there's a sniper running rampant at your spawn point, point him out so your team can rain hell on him. Of course, don't be careless, like spotting your own guys all the time, as it gets distracting. But if used correctly spotting targets makes everyone's job easier.

servers = don't know as i don't play it anymore.

advice = join a squad! joining a squad can be the most fun you have had in an online FPS MP game (IMO!) use your environment. <- always remember this in every FPS game.

Caps lock = squad button, use it frequently.

Do not sit on a hill with a sniper rifle unless it's a base your team is taking and is very active with enemies, sittin there waiting for someone to walk by will just drag your team down.

Play medic or support a lot if you want to get your ranks up quickly at first, so you can unlock some guns. I've unlocked special forces, assault, medic, and sniper. I would recommend medic and assault first. and never special forces, i don't think that gun gives much advantage over the normal one.

mmmm, makes me want to go play, pz i'm out.

Learn to shoot straight and get the other guy before he gets you. :D

Actually, using dominating vehicles is a good way to start out because you can waste more people that way. Try tank whoring for a bit, but make sure you keep your turret on a swivel and learn how to switch camera views while driving it.

Picking the classes with the best guns is always a good idea too. Learn to use the grenade launcher and the hand tossed grenades too.

Be sneaky.

If you're on a server where squad play isn't all that great, just make your own squad and that way you can request important stuff for yourself, like supply crates and UAV's, and arty strikes.

Taking that a step further, if you're on a server with a lot of average, non-team type players, chopper and airplane freaks, etc, just try to become commander and run around and use the commander assets as your own personal weapons. There's nothing more fun that being on a roof top with a tank trying to kill your ass, and calling an arty strike right down on top of him! You can also heal yourself with those supply crates.

Even if you're not the best shot in the world, there are ways to have a good bit of fun. The Dude doesn't have that problem of course. :p

And camping is actually a good tactic sometimes in this game. Especially if you're getting owned a bit, and you are patient.

Always prone to take shots. Not only does your enemy need to take a second to re-adjust his/her aim, but it gives you a nice accuracy boost, even with the heavier weapons.

You don't have to kill a damn thing. If you don't have good shooting skills, that doesn't mean you can't be a good player. Pick another job to do... Repair man, medic, transport, road-blocking, destroy enemy artillery... Lots of other things to do.

Do not waste your time flying anything unless you know how. You just waste everyones time if you do. Same with commander and squad leader. Don't attempt it unless you know how. (Practice in SP mode)

Always join a Squad and play nice. (best tip of all)

now i got a problem. I cant start it up. i go to log in and it just sits there saying "connecting to account server" I ctrl-alt-del and it says bf2 is not responding.

Join a squad. Plain and simple. Going Rambo without a squad is just stupid. Help yourself and help your teammates.

Learn whatever class you're playing, take advantage of all the equipment on them, they're there for a reason. I can't imagine how many times a claymore saved my ass while I was perched on a roof.

If you can, try and stay mobile. If you found a great spot, that's good, but it won't last you forever. Try not to go to the same spot too many times, or else they'll catch onto you.

Be helpful. If you're going to take a vehicle, please wait for others to tag along. I hate it when people just one-man the buggies and take it somewhere and just die. Carpooling is good.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Taking enemy vehicles is always fun :D Not only do you get an extra vehicle and more firepower, but you also handicap the opposing faction as well. (Jets are a good target to steal.)

If you suck at flying, DO NOT FLY. Most of the experienced pilots are using joysticks and are incredibly good at it. It's pretty tough to beat another player that's using a joystick if you don't have one. So if you want to fly, or do fly, get a joystick (preferably one with a twisting handle for rudder control.)

Learn the maps. Get used to them. Know the tricks and secrets to them.

Don't die. May your aim be true and your finger swift.

Is your Game patched to the latest version?

1.12 is the latest....also..remember..the Name server must be taking one hell of a beating..alot of people are off school and just recently got this game for Xmas..so it may take awhile to log on...

If it still takes a while...goto your My Documents folder......\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

And delete the cache file..this sometimes works.

also couple good servers

BFG Gaming servers
BF2 City maps 24 player ...70.86.86.250
BF2:SF 32 player .....70.86.86.252

checkem out at www.bfggaming.com

If you do want to learn to fly, do it an empty or nearly empty server. Or else people get angry. While I find piloting a jet with mouse and keyboard is indeed difficult, it is entirely possible to be an ace chopper pilot with mouse/keyboard. Just takes practice.

LOL when people mention learning to fly. The very first time I played Battlefield 2, I played one of the maps where a spawn point is on a ship. The first thing I did was head for a helicopter, and a couple of other people got in. Needless to say, there were 3 drowning deaths about 5 seconds later.

randy5554 said:
LOL when people mention learning to fly. The very first time I played Battlefield 2, I played one of the maps where a spawn point is on a ship. The first thing I did was head for a helicopter, and a couple of other people got in. Needless to say, there were 3 drowning deaths about 5 seconds later.

haha, too many times have i seen things like this happen. you spawn beginning of level on the carrier, everyone jumps into the blackhawks/helis/planes and all you see is a blackhawk just roll right off the carrier. :p lol and then OMFG NOOB appears on the gaming chat thing. great memories.

i just got battlefield 2 last week, so far, i a sergant with 4 ribbons, lots of badges and several medals

i say... use every class, get us to all of them, because each class has several ribbons and badges you can earn. you also get awards for using planes, and even the anti tank and anti air missilles you see on the ground.

also, learn how to become a squad leader and learn to become a commander, it helps you rank up and thats how you can get yoour gold, silver, and bronze medal easier

i like comcast #77

the take it back comments are annoying, he asked for advice for the game, not if he should return it.

and you dont have to be a 1337 to play, my little brother plays it just fine.

JonnyK said:
Caps lock = squad button, use it frequently.

Do not sit on a hill with a sniper rifle unless it's a base your team is taking and is very active with enemies, sittin there waiting for someone to walk by will just drag your team down.

Play medic or support a lot if you want to get your ranks up quickly at first, so you can unlock some guns. I've unlocked special forces, assault, medic, and sniper. I would recommend medic and assault first. and never special forces, i don't think that gun gives much advantage over the normal one.

mmmm, makes me want to go play, pz i'm out.
Its good advice, except do NOT unlock the G3 first (the assault gun), its a pointless gun, sure its SLIGHTLY more powerful than the regular assault gun, but this one is wildly in-accurate and has NO grenade launcher, however i do suggest unlocking the G36C which is the spec ops gun, its probably one of the most balanced guns in the game...

I suggest moving about in maps in such a way that you arent always a clear target, meaning try to keep near cover as much as possible, if u see someone, try to make sure that they dont see/hear u first, and its not always a good idea to go for a kill. For example, while taking a flag, sometimes its better just to avoid everyone and get a flag rather than to draw attention to yourself, once you kill someone and if ur close to a flag, then someone will know ur trying to get it and will spawn there to kill u etc..

I always just go to the empty flags and capture them behind the enemy's back... learn to use the UAV alot, i would use it to find out just how much of the enemy's forces are i nthat area, then it will give u a good idea on how many people are everywhere esle... hope that helps (this is advice from an accomplished 1st leiutenant and a successful league player)

if your like me and love the idea of sitting in a bush laughing as everyone dies at the hands of your mighty sniper rifle while they run around trying to find you..then heres a few tips on sniping for ya

dont set right at the top of a hill, sit on the side of a hill in a bush or some tall grass. when sitting on the very top of the hill looking over the tip your sillouhette (SP?) is easily spotted by enemys, when on the side of the hill you are also easily spotted, thats why i suggested a bush or tall grass.....

(off topic: i wish they would allow you to adjust the color of your camo for the sniper class......i hate camping on a green hill in green grass with brown camo....idiots...)

aim for the chest when you start, its 2 kills with the m24(US rifle) 3-4 with the MEC or chinese rifle, 2 shots (ALTHOUGH IT SHOULD BE ONE YOU DICE JACKASSES!) m95(sniper unlock)

once you get better aim for the head. instant kill with any rifle, if you hit that is.

im not shure if this is true, but i like to pause a second to take my shot if a guy allows me to, it seems to hit more often than not if i do....

lead a little on your shots if the guy is running. when i say lead i dont mean follow him with your crosshair about a CM in front of him, i mean try to predict his path and position your X-hair somewhere in it. then WAIT for him to run into the path of it. much easier than following him. adjust if he changes paths.

if possible, wait for a guy to stop before taking a shot, much better chance of a kill

use claymores. i want to put only when necissary here, because more often than not ive had moronic teammates that have actually went out of there way just to run into my claymores (ex: i was on karkand camping behind enemy lines...i see a frienly on radar flanking way around the enemy bases....guess what...he ran straight to my spot and into a claymore i had on the stairs.....do people NOT know what a skull and crossbones generally stands for?)

ill try to add more later, for now i gotta go

My team runs a BF2 server. 50 man ranked. It is a full time job admining it. This game is full of asshats, but we try our best to keep the piece.

70.86.47.124:29900

Good luck getting in, as it's full most of the time.

Great game there is so much to do i stoped playing CS couse of BF2.
People who don't like it are the same people who got shitty computers or crappy connection.

ve39 said:
People who don't like it are the same people who got shitty computers or crappy connection.
There are many reasons not to like a game, please don't think it's the one reason. No game is perfect, BF2 especially. Some people just don't prefer a game of its...style. Trolling = no no.

Back on topic: as others have said, try to be sneaky. If you don't have a joystick, don't fly unless you practice a LOT on your own in SP mode. If you don't know how to do something, practice not in an online match.

Oh, pressing "G" by default allows you to switch kits if you find a bag laying about, as well as pick up your grappling hook/zip line (if you have the SF expansion.)

I don't see why everyone finds it so difficult to pilot a chopper or jet with mouse and keyboard. Just take a bit to get your settings right and learn to use your mouse for advanced maneuvering. I use w, a, s, and d as usual for simple movement. For jets I use spacebar to move up and control to move down. I also use ALT for parachute so I can hit it quick in an emergency.

TranquilRed said:
I don't see why everyone finds it so difficult to pilot a chopper or jet with mouse and keyboard. Just take a bit to get your settings right and learn to use your mouse for advanced maneuvering. I use w, a, s, and d as usual for simple movement. For jets I use spacebar to move up and control to move down. I also use ALT for parachute so I can hit it quick in an emergency.
for helo i fly completely with the keyboard....actually..i fly jets like that too..

hasn't failed me yet, im better with a keyboard than i am with the joystick

4b5eN+EE said:
if your like me and love the idea of sitting in a bush laughing as everyone dies at the hands of your mighty sniper rifle while they run around trying to find you..then heres a few tips on sniping for ya

dont set right at the top of a hill, sit on the side of a hill in a bush or some tall grass. when sitting on the very top of the hill looking over the tip your sillouhette (SP?) is easily spotted by enemys, when on the side of the hill you are also easily spotted, thats why i suggested a bush or tall grass.....

(off topic: i wish they would allow you to adjust the color of your camo for the sniper class......i hate camping on a green hill in green grass with brown camo....idiots...)

aim for the chest when you start, its 2 kills with the m24(US rifle) 3-4 with the MEC or chinese rifle, 2 shots (ALTHOUGH IT SHOULD BE ONE YOU DICE JACKASSES!) m95(sniper unlock)

once you get better aim for the head. instant kill with any rifle, if you hit that is.

im not shure if this is true, but i like to pause a second to take my shot if a guy allows me to, it seems to hit more often than not if i do....

lead a little on your shots if the guy is running. when i say lead i dont mean follow him with your crosshair about a CM in front of him, i mean try to predict his path and position your X-hair somewhere in it. then WAIT for him to run into the path of it. much easier than following him. adjust if he changes paths.

if possible, wait for a guy to stop before taking a shot, much better chance of a kill

use claymores. i want to put only when necissary here, because more often than not ive had moronic teammates that have actually went out of there way just to run into my claymores (ex: i was on karkand camping behind enemy lines...i see a frienly on radar flanking way around the enemy bases....guess what...he ran straight to my spot and into a claymore i had on the stairs.....do people NOT know what a skull and crossbones generally stands for?)

ill try to add more later, for now i gotta go
continuing.....

i found that when using the m95 at medium range, if yoou get a body shot just pull out your pistol, it is accurate enough when using the iron sights that usually 1, maybe 2 shots will kill. plus its a bonus to your pistol kills (if playing on a ranked server) meaning easier medal for you (basic pistol, and later higher levels)

when being shot at try to be sneaky, if its another sniper and you know his exact position (because youve seen him, not an icon on the radar, his actual body), put your corsshaird on that position and mov eout from your cover (or get behind some if your not already) you will have a split second to nail him repeat but from a different angle, such as the other side of the object being used for cover.

^that brings me to another thing. know the difference between cover and concealment...its not as big of a deal with small arms, but the m95 and heavy mounted MGs can penetrate walls. so a sheet metal fence is concealment, where a dumpster or a building is cover. (ps. to dice/EA. an m95 can penetrate MULTIPLE layers of thick concrete, even very thinck armor...why cant i shoot through a 2 inch thick corner of a bulding to hit a camping guy?)

TranquilRed said:
It's not that it's difficult, but no matter how good you get at it, a pilot that's equally adept at using a joystick will usually to always outfly and outgun you. I had become very good with mouse and keyboard myself but when I bought a joystick, it made flying much better, especially when you have to go into tight turns.

I still use mouse and keyboard for helicopters, though. I just can't get used to flying a helo with a joystick, but as far as jets go, anyone even halfway serious about flying should have one, in my opinion.

play on Karkand and use the engineer since he has a shotgun. your first unlock should be the Anti Tank Kits' shotgun since that holds 12 rounds.
Next unlock should be the engineers shotgun, it's a cool 7 round automatic shotgun.

Always check you radar to see if any of your players are near you since the names sometimes don't pop up quick enough, so if you don't see any blue dots near you, shoot anyone that you see.

Always try to get prone if you see someone and they start to shoot at you.

If you use the Sniper kit, be careful with the Claymores since your teammates are sometimes retarded and kill themselves with and then punish you.

My rule is I never punish until I get punished. Once I get punished for someones stupidity I'll punish everyone.

FoxhoundOp said:
I still use mouse and keyboard for helicopters, though. I just can't get used to flying a helo with a joystick, but as far as jets go, anyone even halfway serious about flying should have one, in my opinion.

I got a joystick for the planes and helicoptor as well, but I just fly so much better with the mouse and keyboard. Jets require the joystick.

Max-Powers said:

Play the SP side and learn the vehicles and weapon tendancies until school goes back in next week. Trying to play right now, especially if you are new to the game, is like banging your head against a brick wall. If you MUST play online right now, I would look at servers with fewer players logged in. That should give you time to move around and learn. Log into a 64 server of fools and you'll be logging right back out. Even the "good" servers have bad days, so add the good ones you find to your favorites and stick to them. See you out there. :)

showgun said:
Join a squad. Plain and simple. Going Rambo without a squad is just stupid. Help yourself and help your teammates.

Sometimes going Rambo is good, I got Expert Bagde last night that way. Oh God I was owning that round

Unless you're learning to lift off a helo or jet, I'd say jump right in online. It's the quickest learning experience.

Your Squadleader is a mobile spawn point. If he moves back and hides, you and ur S. members can keep attacking a base constantly.

About going Rambo...

Most of highest scoring games (w/o vehicle whoring) are playing Rambo style. It's OK to have a fair amount of deaths as long as your getting kills. I don't play so much for stats, if I have a lot of deaths, so be it. I want to cap flags and win. Nothing like capping the last enemy flag and ending the round early.

I take a LOT of flags this way, only way to do it when your squad isn't behaving as a squad. Once you are on the flag, more people will show up to help. I'm not saying I take a lot of flags by myself. ;)

Teamwork absolutely rules, however. Don't ever take away a strategy out of your deck. If Rambo is what the situation calls for, Rambo it is. :)

edit: For flying, do NOT use the mouse. If you don't have a joystick, get one. If you can't, learn using just the keyboard. The #1 problem with either of these two is speed control, you don't have the throttle control a joystick does, but with a mouse you limit turning every time you have to pic up the mouse and re-place it on the pad/table/whatever.

Oh and don't attach exposive packs to teammembers helicopters that they steal from you and blow them up when they take off. I found out people have a tendancy of not liking that. :D

Phantron said:
Oh and don't attach exposive packs to teammembers helicopters that they steal from you and blow them up when they take off. I found out people have a tendancy of not liking that. :D
But DO remember they stick to anything, even players. :eek:

DON'T run into claymores....I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU! (hehe...dane cook) if you do :p

if you see an arty strike on your map, dont go near it.......then your a jackass....

don't run over mines with vehicles...

mainly..dont run over or near skull and crossbone icons on your screen unless you can confirm it wont harm you

mines = won't harm you if your on foot will desktroy your vehicle
c4 = wont harm you period unless someone blows it up
claymores = WILL kill you but only if you run on the dangerous side on them...

they are shaped like ) <that ) < that side = deadly ( <that side = not
i dunno if they harm vehicles

Phoenix86 said:
But DO remember they stick to anything, even players. :eek:

Players, too? Are you serious? I didn't think this was possible.

Suicide bombers, mwahahaha.

Add 'em said:
Players, too? Are you serious? I didn't think this was possible.

Suicide bombers, mwahahaha.

Oh man...the possibilities!! Too bad you can't do voice chat with enemy troopers. Imagine C4ing yourself up and running into an enemy squad and they can hear you doing the "Middle East Warcry"- "Halalalalalalalalala! BOOM!"

bazylik said:
Sometimes going Rambo is good, I got Expert Bagde last night that way. Oh God I was owning that round

I agree, sometimes going Rambo is good, but doing it all the time WITHOUT a squad or listening to your commander isn't.

Back