just got my 2001fp... almost perfect

I got my 2001 fp today... i got that sale for 750 with free shipping. it came 2 days early. I love this screen. I see the screen door effect you guys all complained about and it isnt that bad. it does however make the monitor look less clear. Games run good. A little blur but not distracting... perfect for a frequent but not hard core gamer. However the biggest most annoying issue I have with this monitor is the backlight that is not uniform. You really notice it on a black screen. Some areas appear to be brighter than others. What do you guys think? Any 2001fp users have backlight problems? any possible solution what so ever? Thanks

Mike

Got mine today too, also 2 days early. No pixel issues at all. I agree on the back light, but I haven't seen one yet that doesn't do that just a little. Damn hard monitor to beat for $750.00.

As far as gaming goes, it's very good. Minimum ghosting or persistance. I might also mention that in games the screen is equal to my Envision 9110, a much overlooked monitor. I needed (ok, wanted ;) ) the 1600x1200 res tho, and I'm very happy.

It needs a bit of calibration, but of course that is normal.

BillR

yea im with you... as long as the backlight issue doesn't get any worse I can live with it the picture is bright and vibrant and you can only see the bright backlight spots on a black screen... its not noticable on other colors or graphics. Plus this monitor does not have one dead pixel and thats hard to come by on a screen this big I hear. I gave it the UT 2004 test. Minor blurring but didn't really bother me. It performed great. What kind of warrenty do we have? do you remember? Rock on

Mike

I recall it saying 3 years parts and labor... :D

Good deal all around

BillR

Pyrolistical said:

I just spec'd it out, and my god it's a good lcd...but....I'm a CRT guy :p

Can't argue a bit with you on that, if I made my living in photoshop CRT would be the only way to go. Same with High Def TV, CRT based sets, even projectors are still the high end for pure vid quality. I am however 56 and my eyes are not what they were when I was 18 :D and overall a good LCD makes my life a bit easier..even gaming. ;)

This is my forth LCD and up till last year nothing could replace my Viewsonic 810P, but this comes dang close..and cost half as much..go figure :D

BillR

Guys... can't we all just get along? Use both
newdesk3.jpg

'd like to stress that it's possible my Dell 2001FP is defective, so your milage may vary.

There is no doubt, whatsoever, that the particular 2001FP I have (and, I suspect, all of them) has serious FPS lag.

I compared the 2001FP, using both the D-SUB and DVI-D connectors, against a Cornerstone p1650, a Hitachi CML175W, and a Decaview G630 (rebadged CTX 21"). Tests were performed using a ATI 9800XT and a ATI 9700 Pro, one in a Biostar Mini ITX (the amd 64 bit model) and the other in a Shuttle SN42G respectively. Both using the latest nForce and ATI drivers. For every monitor except the Dell, the image was displayed without any noticable delay, however, with the Dell, frames were drawn upwards to a quarter (estimated) of a second after they should have been. That's life and death in a FPS.

I'm extremely disappointed. The image is exceptionally sharp, the color and contrast absolutely beautiful, but, to my horror, only worthwhile on the desktop.

If anyone else has a Dell 2001FP, please let me know, am I on crack? Did I just get a bum monitor? The fact that, other than the delay, this monitor works perfectly in every mode through every interface (haven't tried composite) leads me to suspect this is perfectly normal, but I don't know, I didn't buy two of them.

semiazas can u post a video of the 2001fp lag?

or maybe compare it to the 2001fp posted video that shows lag

My 2001FP has a brighter spot on the top right about 1in left from the corner. It's only visible when completely black otherwise it's not. It's about the size of 1/2 nickel or so. At least mine didn't any dead pixels so I decided to just keep it since it's not a big deal to me. I guess I am not as anal as used to be about hardware anymore, 2 years ago I would have exchanged it until I got a perfect one.:) But, overall I am pleased with everything I have bought from Dell so far and just let it go.

I got my 2001FP a couple days ago, I'm quite lucky since there's no dead pixels and the backlighting is uniform.

If there is a screen-door effect happening on my monitor, I don't really notice it.

Tonight I plan on firing up some games to test the ghosting.

Xrave said:
I got my 2001FP a couple days ago, I'm quite lucky since there's no dead pixels and the backlighting is uniform.

If there is a screen-door effect happening on my monitor, I don't really notice it.

Tonight I plan on firing up some games to test the ghosting.

Lucky bastered! My backlight is anything but uniform. I have bright areas all over the top of the screen. You only really see it on a dark (almost entirely black) screen though. The color is vibrant and bright but dark colors are not as good. Black is not deep enough even with brightness and contrast at 0. It's sharp as hell and runs great with games. I don't wanna have to return it for another and risk getting another defective screen. :-(

2001fp users... do you feel the black isn't deep enough? How many of you have back light problems? Is there anyway to fix the backlight?

Mike

The bright edge lighting you see on your dell can be fixed. turn the monitor on but with no video so you can see it clearly...then gently squeeze the bezel on the edge of your monitior..you can "create" the problem this way. What needs to be done is have the pressure pushing the screen into the bezel releaved a bit.

I plan to call Dell tommorow to see if they will void my warr if I do this..I'll let you know. I know this works because we did my friends today..works like a champ.

Let me add, it made no difference at all when the computer is switched on. It was just an issue bugging both of us. None of that back light issue is apparant in any color test screen I can run..only when there is no vid signal.

Guess it's a matter of principal ;)

Other then that I love this thing, does everything I wanted it to do at a great price. Hard to argue with that combination. :D

BillR

BillR said:
The bright edge lighting you see on your dell can be fixed. turn the monitor on but with no video so you can see it clearly...then gently squeeze the bezel on the edge of your monitior..you can "create" the problem this way. What needs to be done is have the pressure pushing the screen into the bezel releaved a bit.

I plan to call Dell tommorow to see if they will void my warr if I do this..I'll let you know. I know this works because we did my friends today..works like a champ.

Let me add, it made no difference at all when the computer is switched on. It was just an issue bugging both of us. None of that back light issue is apparant in any color test screen I can run..only when there is no vid signal.

Guess it's a matter of principal ;)

Other then that I love this thing, does everything I wanted it to do at a great price. Hard to argue with that combination. :D

BillR

If it made no difference with the computer turned on then what was the point in "fixing" it LOL

any problems with dark colors and glare?

Lemme know what dell says

thanks bro

Like I said, "Principal" ;)

My blacks are very black..no problems that way at all. I'm using DVI in and I'm still tweaking no problems with blacks or bright whites.

Do some tweaking, you will get it right.

BillR

BillR said:
Like I said, "Principal" ;)

My blacks are very black..no problems that way at all. I'm using DVI in and I'm still tweaking no problems with blacks or bright whites.

Do some tweaking, you will get it right.

BillR

well my 1703fp at work... u couldnt tell the difference between a blank screen saver and when the monitor was off... the blacks were so good. the 2001 u can tell easy. Maybe im being overly picky but whatever. If I can get some cash up I might buy another one and keep the better of the two because this monitor has enough backlight problems to justify a return. How do you return a monitor?

Mike, I don’t know how your using your monitor, but it took me about an hour or so to calibrate mine. I’m using DVI inputs. Go to user settings in the menu adjust each color for perfect white then back them all down, equally, one notch at a time until you get black.

I can scan, open in Photoshop and print with equal color. Black will never be perfect on any LCD IMHO, High Def TV has proven that over and over, same with Plasma and DLP, but you can get it damn close.

Again I agree, this is not a perfect monitor, but then I’ve never seen a perfect monitor, even my 21” ViewSonic.

Of course like any technology everything will improve, but for now, for this price, I don’t see how anyone can go wrong with this model.

Also keep in mind, everyone in the “Tube” business wants out of the tube business as quickly as possible. Even Sony has mentioned several times that they want of the CRT business all together within two years.

Try some additional calibration, might work for you

Luck

BillR

BillR said:
Mike, I don’t know how your using your monitor, but it took me about an hour or so to calibrate mine. I’m using DVI inputs. Go to user settings in the menu adjust each color for perfect white then back them all down, equally, one notch at a time until you get black.

I can scan, open in Photoshop and print with equal color. Black will never be perfect on any LCD IMHO, High Def TV has proven that over and over, same with Plasma and DLP, but you can get it damn close.

Again I agree, this is not a perfect monitor, but then I’ve never seen a perfect monitor, even my 21” ViewSonic.

Of course like any technology everything will improve, but for now, for this price, I don’t see how anyone can go wrong with this model.

Also keep in mind, everyone in the “Tube” business wants out of the tube business as quickly as possible. Even Sony has mentioned several times that they want of the CRT business all together within two years.

Try some additional calibration, might work for you

Luck

BillR

black rendering doesnt bother me anymore :) but the backlight is driving me crazy. So bad I'm considering full refund. I'll post pics soon.

Mike

Back