Just Got My Fathers New Dell...

Now the uninstall begins. Someone get a timer out, I first powered up 10 minutes ago.

Specs on the laptop since I have time while I do Windows Updates.
Dell Inspiron E1505
Intel Core Duo 1.6
60GB HDD
DVD/CD RW (Dual layer)
512MB RAM (on one stick)
15" Widescreen with True Life
Free piece of shit printer

Total to the door? $827.00

Total number of icons in the task bar? 16!
Total number that will be gone after I finish? 12! Leaving 4 (connection, sound, power, pointing device)

Total number of programs uninstalled so far? 5 (AOL, AOL, AOL, Dell Music, Dell Games)

lol I know how you feel, I purchased a dell laptop for my sister and spent two hours this morning rebricking it. I was gonna go through and remove the majority of the crap, but nothing beats a clean install. Im finally done with my madness enjoy yours lol

I know and after 13 programs (so far) I am regretting not doing so.

Here is the running list as I figure out how to get McAfee off (going to run AVG or NOD 32)
AOL
AOL
AOL
DELL
DELL
Earth Link
DELL
Google Desktop
Google Toolbar
Gem Master (no idea)
ESPN Motion
DELL
NetZero

It is running slow as hell now (because I haven't restarted) If this keeps up, out comes the Windows disk!

EDIT: I also had to hook a old mouse up because I hate touchpads. Using this computer and this mouse next to me is quite tough. I keep grabbing my mouse to uninstall things and end up clicking random links here on the H.

ninethreeeleven said:
Total number of icons in the task bar? 16!
Total number that will be gone after I finish? 12! Leaving 4 (connection, sound, power, pointing device)

You're actually removing the "safely remove hardware" icon? :)

Nice system for your dad, throwing in one more 512MB stick wouldn't hurt him though. My next work laptop will be a Core Duo system, unless I persuade myself to wait for the Merom...

Well that icon isn't even showing (I hit the hide button to get a more accurate count). After 2 restarts I am down to 10 icons.

Is it safe to remove the "Modem Helper" (phone modem) seeing that this will NEVER use the modem? I am sure Windows has something built in that would work anyway if it ever needed to be used?
I will uninstall that once someone gives me the go ahead, or I will uninstall it anyway and post here wether or not it matters.

No adverse effects, but I am pretty much done with the uninstall.

here is the short list (I know I forgot to write down one or two)
AOL
AOL
AOL
Dell
Dell
EarthLink
Dell
Google Desktop
Google Toolbar
View Point Media Player
ESPN Motion
Gem Master
McAfee
Microsoft
Microsoft
Modem Helper
Dell Music Match
Dell Web Coach
Wild Tanget (I thought this was spyware?)
Net Waiting
Modem Help
NetZero
Search Assistant
URL Assistant

24 Total!

3 Different Windows components (FAX, Messanger, Outlook Express)

Total taskbar icons? 6 (but one is a Windows warning because I haven't reinstalled a Anti-Virus) Another is the touch point tool, and that might go aswell.
Items unchecked from the Startup tab in MSCONFIG? 7! Total to start up? 13. Still need to work on this.

Took me 3 hours for my Dad's Dell laptop he picked up late last year.

The crap they put on is unbelievable!

once that software is on the system, i believe it's like a virus (especially AOL). no matter how much you try to remove it all, you'll never get back full performance. you're better off wiping the system and starting with a fresh install. i believe everyone should have a sysprepped windows image around so that this process is streamlined (sysprep so that the image runs on any hardware). as techs, we run into enough computers where windows has to be installed, and as far as time invested goes, it's quicker to drop on a window/office image and grab the drivers than it is to try to de-dell the dell. i can have a machine imaged and drivered in half an hour without breaking a sweat

Time for you to do a fresh install of windows and install drivers yourself :), you should generally always do that if you buy a laptop/desktop for most major system builders.

Now on hold with Dell tech support, fancy fucking hold music they got there.

Anyway, after realizing that there is now probably tons of stuff left over in the registry I say to myself "Why don't I just burn the Windows Restore CD off the OS?"
Well I go into Dell Accessories and the option isn't there, so I call Dell.

I can't really complain about the service, they have alot of customers. Everyone who put me on hold (2 people) told me "Someone would pick up in 2-3 minutes" and they did. I am now on hold again waiting for a service case number and he said it would take 4-6 minutes. Well see, but it really isn't as bad as it was 2-3 years ago.

Altough I did get transfered to Printer Support by mistake once.

They say the new disk will be here Tuesday, free of charge. I will reinstall Windows then to get all that crap out of the registry and selectively reinstall anything I want. This is my fathers PC so he doesn't need 99.9% of this crap. I am still undecided on wheter or not to keep Corel Paint.

ninethreeeleven said:
Anyway, after realizing that there is now probably tons of stuff left over in the registry I say to myself "Why don't I just burn the Windows Restore CD off the OS?"

It will just put all the Dell crapware back.

That is not entirely true. Dell will give me a Windows Restore disk, and a Dell Drivers & Utilities disk. You put Windows on then selectively choose what you want off the Dell disk (if anything).

Back