Just got my FSP 600W

Oklahoma Wolf

PSU Warranty Voider
My Fortron FSP600-80GLC has arrived, and I figured I would share my first impressions with everyone. I posted this at a couple places already, and figured I'd keep going and spam all the forums I'm a member of ;)

This is the 80mm Adda fanned server version of the new Epsilon 600W.

First thing's first - this is not a good buy for those wanting a cheaper Epsilon. There are no PCI-E connectors on mine. Not too big a deal to me, I plan to mod this thing for SLI using 12v2 and/or 12v4 depending on the board I get, but those who are squeamish about warranties and not handy with a soldering iron should save themselves a headache and pay extra for the Epsilon version.

That aside, there are no shortage of molexes on it - 9 4 pin hard drive connectors (not quick release unfortunately), 2 SATA connectors, and 1 floppy drive connector. All of these are run off 12v3. ATX connector is a modular 20+4 connector (and is the only place to find 12v4 on mine). The 8 pin EPS connector (12v1 and 12v2) does not split apart.

The 600W has a lot in common with at least its 700W big brother - main PCB and protection PCB are both marked "FSP700-80GLC." It is likely though that this PSU uses different components from the 700W, so one shouldn't assume one can get 700W from this PSU.

Now, a bad quality webcam originated pic of the innards. You can see better pics of the next model up 120mm model 4 posts down here: http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=49:6485-12

FSP600W-2.jpg

As you can see, there are 3 heatsinks that extend upwards within 15mm of the cover. One is bolted to the case for extra cooling. Considering the claim is for 80% or better efficiency, I'm not too worried about their size. This thing is also going to get sleeved - the cables are a complete and utter mess, and there are too few SATA connectors for me. And too many drive molexes.

Back