Just got my laptop...

Geekling

Limp Gawd
and I want to get a wireless network going so I can use it around the house. Any suggestions? How can I tell me if my laptop can even go wireless? If not can I get the hardware that will alllow me to? I have a 3com connection and a CDrom. Sorry if I seem like a fool but I really don't know much about wireless or laptops.

Could I use USB maybe?

The laptop is a Dell CPx running Suse Linux (if that matters).

Thanks in advance for any help.

3com connection = cable modem or dsl?

you'll need to get a wireless home router, spend anywhere from $60 + for a nice new one.

then i'd reccommend getting a pcmcia wireless card for the laptop, it will be much more portable than a usb nic. you'll probably spend $40 or so for a new one.

I knew about the wireless router. I'm just not sure how to get my laptop to go wireless...

Generally, only late Pentium III and Pentium 4 laptops had wireless built in.
Your best bet is to get a PCMCIA wireless card. Check in the forums on Suse's website to find out what brands and models are natively supported. You can use any other card but take it from personal experiance, Suse is a pain in the ass to get a non-native wireless card to work on boot time. I ended up having to enable the card on each login.

Back