Just got Oblivion

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
I ordered Oblivion afew days ago and it's just arrived on my doormat.
I know that Oblivion has tons and tons of mods and I'd like to install a load before I start playing.

Main things I'm looking for:
1. Mods to improve the graphics
2. Mods to make it less "consolish" (I don't know how consoley it is really but it's on 360 and ps3 so..)
3. Mods to improve faces etc, people look pretty ugly in the screenshots I've seen.
4. Anything to improve the interface/solve annoying little things etc etc.

I don't want anything that changes gameplay too much/makes it easy etc.

I know there are threads about oblivion mods but they are all huge and I'm just looking for a quick list of the best ones.

What would you recommend?

Hmm, I'm supprised it won't let me enable AA+HDR, I thought that worked on 8800 cards..

Official forums for OBV mods.

that should help you find whatever mods you want.

as far as aa+hdr on your 8800? You have to use hdr in game, but force AA in the Nvidia Control Panel.. Rather easy.. Update your drivers, as well. Good Luck.

Only mod I really used was one that made you have like a 30 something hotkey setup + certian hotkeys to equip whole sets of armor. Really nice being able to switch from sneaky/theif setup... to brawler ready to rock.

http://tessource.net/files/

where i got all my mods

edit, when you get to level 10 theres a quest you can do that gives you a thing that goes over a lockpick and makes it unbreakable... DO IT.

Qarl's texture pack is a must. Weighs in at nearly 2GB though...
You probably also want the LOD texture and LOD Normal Maps, which improve the quality of distant terrain. If you run into performance problems with either of these - those 4096x4096 textures chew through a hell of a lot of video memory - there are some downscaled versions here (and some nice comparison shots of all these here).

Aside from that, I'll just reel off a few you can search for on tessource.net. Some have multiple versions up there, so try to make sure you get the latest. I've found that their search engine is a bit hit-and-miss, so you might need to punch in a keyword or two and dig through the results yourself.
Illumination Within Revived (lights up windows at night - grab the optimisation patch too)
Natural Faces - refines the face textures
Natural Environments - you might want the "Color Override" patch as well, since the original makes the lighting a bit too yellow
Search for "Lava" and pick the one you like best
Elven Map Redux - nice new colour image for the map
Visually Enchanted - enchantment effects for weapons
Almost Everything VWD (visible when distant) - grab the "Illuminated" addon as well
Depth of Field - may or may not be your cup of tea. Makes the ultra high res LOD packs a bit of a waste, since anything distant is pretty indistinct. There's also an addon to make the night sky a bit less blurry.

You should also get the latest patch, and probably the Unofficial Oblivion Patch too (there's a compatibility fix for this and Qarl's textures).
DarNified seems like a pretty decent interface mod, though I haven't tried any others, so you might want to look around a bit.

There's also a lot of mods out there which try to address gameplay issues, particularly with the levelling system, but I don't think I'd trust most of them to keep the gameplay balanced. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) seems to have had the most work put into it, and is certainly the most popular, but if you don't want anything which changes gameplay too much, then it's probably not for you...

Back