Just got Soltek 3901 Socket 939

denaps

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to report about my new Qbic EQ3901. I ordered a Shuttle SN95G5 and had nothing but problems with it for 4 days. Same old temp/fan/BIOS problems that everyone else had. Shuttle was no help so I returned it in favor of this QBIC.

What a difference! This thing is great. Worked flawlessly from first boot with BFG 6800GT, Audigy 2, 120 ATA, 160 SATA, NEC -DVD Burner 2 x 512 DDR-400 and Athlon 3500+. With CnQ (which also didn't work on the Shuttle) it is SUPER quiet and I am really enjoying it.

Only problem I had is that i can't fit 2 optical drives with my Audigy 2 because it bumps it. The audigy is too tall - also a word of advice. The corsair RAM with the large heat sink and lights will not fit either (TWINXLPRO), I just switched the RAM with another machine I had and it works great.

Anyway, just wanted to note that I was hesitant to come from shuttle because I loved my last one but this experience changed my mind. I love this 939 box.

One question: I am idling at around 44C and with rthdribl running at 640x480 the CPU Die temp reached 74C. WoW puts the processor at around 70C. Are these normal temps? Also, does anyone know of a CPU temp monitor that will overlay (like FRAPS) while I am playing games? I can't get an accurate CPU temp reading after playing full screen.

lol...nice write up but funny to then read you have temp questions. one thing the SN95 was slagged for.

g'luk!

more of a question than a concern though. the shuttle was idling at 59C - that's a problem

I also got a 3901A a few weeks ago and love it. As far as temps, using the stock HSF that comes with it idel temps 45C and avg game temps were about 59C. This is with an Ahtlon64 3200+ with a 200MHz over clock. I've just replaced the HSF with a Zalman 7000 and idel temps dropped to 39C and load to 55C. The load temps are what I see after exiting back to Windows so I guess it could be higher. The only problem is that you might have a problem using the PCI slot as the Zalman partially sits over it (I haven't tried a PCI card, but it looks tight).

I am thinking about buying it too. but i am thinking if 3801 is a better choice because of better onboard sound chip. it is supposed to be very high quality ?

The Eq3801A's C-Media chip sucks. The SPDIF skips all the time. Its probably the only fault of the whole machine.

Back