Just got the PS3 40gb... Now what??

crhscoog

Gawd
Well I just spent $150 on the ps3 after using a coupon and giftcard from Dell. I have to say, the PS3 is nice!! :D I just have no games yet :( But I am getting COD4 for it soon and perhaps Socom when it comes out :D What should I know about the PS3 before I start updating the firmwares and such? On the side note, can't wait till "Home" comes out :p

Nothing. Its a great thing. Only thing is psn is not like xbl but soon will be and better at it.

Its a great console and I own both. I like it so much I quit my xbl subscription and psn is free!

:D im downloading a few demo's right now. it seems as if its dling at 12kbps which isn't right. is there any way to make it go faster?? my internet connection is in another room so i cant conntect the ethernet cable. would that be the only way possible??

Nothing. Its a great thing. Only thing is psn is not like xbl but soon will be and better at it.

Ya, ok, cause you know Sony has been so much better at it from the start and has such a huge lead :rolleyes:

PSN is at the stages XBL was at years ago, it has a long way to go to become better then XBL...

Not saying it is bad, but it is stupid to think in a few months/even years that it will be better then XBL which has had extremely active devs working on it for years. Not to mention a new feature update is slated soon for XBL! w00t!

at least ps3 will be getting "home" and has blue ray :p not to forget free online play :D i do like the 360 though although i never owned one and only played it a few times...

btw i found a long ethernet cable and manage to connect it to ps3. seems to be tad faster :D

ok i just ate dinner and i just dled 11mb. what the heck. is the ps3 store just slow? i do have 768kbs (internet is expensive in my area...) but it shouldn't go that slow... at least not on computer.

i have 2.2. says its latest firmware. ill try the FOLD. what does that actually do? something about some university?

lol no it helps share your bandwith a hospital to find cure for illness stuff.

at least ps3 will be getting "home" and has blue ray :p not to forget free online play :D i do like the 360 though although i never owned one and only played it a few times...

btw i found a long ethernet cable and manage to connect it to ps3. seems to be tad faster :D

Sorry OP, my comments were not directed toward you nor trying to start anything.

Anyhow, on your folding question, take a look over the the Distributed Computing forum here:
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Folding is where you are really sharing your idle processor time (on your PC or now your PS3) to crunch numbers for the Folding @ Home project. Folding@Home does research on genes and such I believe. You also can (and should) join a team such as our Hard folding team and you earn points for yourself and the team. Teams compete to see who can get the most points.

Lots more info in that forum though.

My PS3 downloads pretty decent, slower then my overall network but no where near your speeds.

Folding is using the processing power of your computer, or in this case, your PS3 to help various departments solve algorithms, break down dna chains, yadda yadda yadda and so on and so forth. its a great cause and recommended just because of all the good it can accomplish.

My PS3 downloads pretty decent, slower then my overall network but no where near your speeds.

Folding is using the processing power of your computer, or in this case, your PS3 to help various departments solve algorithms, break down dna chains, yadda yadda yadda and so on and so forth. its a great cause and recommended just because of all the good it can accomplish.

Just be aware that a PS3 folding 24/7 consumes quite a bit of power.

Yeah I know you weren't trying to start something :D

I'll look into the FOLDING thing. Sounds pretty neat. Probably will do it on computer as well since I don't do anything demanding for a Q6600 anyways. :D

I'm folding now...it's a nice little background information and looks cool to tell guests when they ask what is that...I think the world map is a fitting image as well...

[H]orde team is 33 right?

is it hooked up to an hdtv? if so go rent some good blu-ray flicks (sunshine or 30 days of night) and watch the goodness.

yeah its connected to a newly bought samsung 52" 1080p. :D i wished dell had more game options for ps3 and restock their cod4 fast. i have so many gift cards to use. :D

Back