Just got the Samsung 710T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung's warranty covers dead pixels...if there's too many of them. ;)

Samsung's LCD Pixel Policy - 17" LCD:
Bright Dots:
- Random placement: > 4
- 2 adjacent pixels: > 1
- 3 adjacent pixels: > 1
Dark Dots:
- Random placement: > 7
- 2 adjacent pixels: > 1

Max: > 7 Dead pixels

I talked to the people at Samsung Canada, and they said that they only have the 710T in black, which is why they're shipping me a black one instead of silver like I wanted.

As for Monitors Depot, I couldn't see any indication about whether the prices are in CDN/USD/chocolate-chips. Mmm, chocolate-chips... :eek:

And Samsung will NOT deal with a retailer for any warranty stuff, so you can't return their monitors to the retailers either. You have to deal with Samsung explicitly. I was told (by my retailer, and Samsung) that this policy is related to their Dead Pixel policy.

I hope this clears up some questions. All of this came from Samsung (except the Monitors Direct pricing stuff), so there you go.

donkey4life said:
bbc20000, I have a few questions for you.

You said you ordered your 710T from Monitors Depot. I looked on their site, and it appears to be the silver and black model that I prefer over the all black one that is in the US.

710t_l.jpg

Did you actually recieve the silver/black model? Do you know if they will ship to the United States? I assume that is in Canadian dollars, correct? Also, is it true you cannot reture the monitor once you have opened the box (as said in the FAQs on their site)? This worries me if I were to get a dead pixel. Did you get any dead pixels?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi,

They are all black, they only look silver black on the picture but stylewise they look different than the American model. The price is in Canadian $. Once the box is opened the LCD can only be returned if it is dead on arrival. Ask them about dead pixels because how is their policy on that one.

I had to go directly to Samsung for my DOA 173T. 1 dead pixel (didn't care), but 2 nice scratches on the screen.

Hence, new 710T from Samsung. :D

bbc20000 said:
Hi,

They are all black, they only look silver black on the picture but stylewise they look different than the American model. The price is in Canadian $. Once the box is opened the LCD can only be returned if it is dead on arrival. Ask them about dead pixels because how is their policy on that one.

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of wierd that they would display a different picture than what they actually ship though. I am starting to think the black/silver one does not actually exist. Maybe it is time to get out the paint brush ;)

One day people will look back and laugh at the fact people bought products (LCDs) that have a high rate of defects, ie. 1-3 dead pixels. LCDs are the most ridiculous fad to sweep across the computer world, all they do is save space and look swank. If you are a gamer and you want the best visuals, get a good CRT, full stop. The 2nd best CRT ever made can be had for $600, and at 21 inches. At that price you can get only a mediocre 19inch LCD, and the "best" of them still have some issues even today.

LCDs rape CRTs in text and color reprodcution. Plain and Simple.

CRTs are better at displaying fast moving picture (at a much lower quality than is possible on an LCD).

LCDs are just a step in making the next generation of displays - OLED or other - it's a necessary step. All technologies go through stages like this. Think of it: Tape to CD to DVD to (BLDVDs, etc). Get my point? LCDs are not ridiculous; if you have ever done any graphic design, or looked at a website even, on a CRT then done the same on an LCD, you will see what I mean.

Of course they are a necessary transitional stage, but why subject yourself to the torments of transitions? Dead pixels, I know, would drive me crazy. Moreover the fixed, often non-traditional resolutions of the LCD are a major drawback as well. I am speaking from the vantage point of gaming, not designing. Frankly, if the font text is clear enough for me to read articles and type in MSWord, that is all that matters.

I am not even sure I agree about the text reproduction - have you seen the .22mm aperture Sony F520? I have seen plenty of LCDs and none struck me as particularly impressive just showing text compared to quality CRTs.

There is absolutely no comparing colors and text between the two. LCDs win, even mid-range LCDs outperform the best CRTs in those two categories. Dead Pixels are not very prevalent if you choose a good manufacturer (ie samsung) and retailer. Native resolution is not a problem at all, as long as you consider it in your decision - if you want to use 1600x1200, get one that supports it. It's really not that difficult. There is no problem in gaming, and the picture is much clearer on an LCD, the fact that there's a native resolution means only that you'll want to set your resolution to that, and with a good LCD, even if you don't set it to the native resolution, you'll get a high quality gaming experience. LCDs have a lot of pros and very few cons. You do need to buy a LCD that is tailored to your needs, but there IS something out there for everyone.

You may say that if you can read the text, it's good enough, but look at a CRT and LCD side by side, and you will undoubtedly notice that the LCD is clearer (so long as you're using DVI). And if it is so much clearer then why subject yourself to the eyestrain of blurry text.

BombermanX said:
There is absolutely no comparing colors and text between the two. LCDs win, even mid-range LCDs outperform the best CRTs in those two categories. Dead Pixels are not very prevalent if you choose a good manufacturer (ie samsung) and retailer. Native resolution is not a problem at all, as long as you consider it in your decision - if you want to use 1600x1200, get one that supports it. It's really not that difficult. There is no problem in gaming, and the picture is much clearer on an LCD, the fact that there's a native resolution means only that you'll want to set your resolution to that, and with a good LCD, even if you don't set it to the native resolution, you'll get a high quality gaming experience. LCDs have a lot of pros and very few cons. You do need to buy a LCD that is tailored to your needs, but there IS something out there for everyone.

You may say that if you can read the text, it's good enough, but look at a CRT and LCD side by side, and you will undoubtedly notice that the LCD is clearer (so long as you're using DVI). And if it is so much clearer then why subject yourself to the eyestrain of blurry text.

I agree with the text portion, But for gaming Lcds arent there yet. I ahve used the best of both worlds and i can say Crts are better for gaming

Better for fast-moving picture yes, but IQ is much better on LCD for games if they are slow. And, even in fast paced, LCDs are not horrible.

Btw, the gaming portion was not referring to ghosting - it was about native resolution and interpolation.

I know its late to get in on this thread and I've read all the post, but I am trying to make a specific decision between the 710T and 173P. I was all ready to blow the considerable money on the 173p because of its style and what I think is supposed to be its great picture, but when I saw the specs of the 710 with its 12ms response rate compared to the 25ms of the 173p I had to pause. After reading this thread, though, I'm not sure, since at least one person seems to have prefered the 193p. Just wondering if anyone had a specific opinion.

Of course, this comes down to the two different technologies of TN vs samsung's PVA. I think the 172x utilizes pva. Its probably this difference that accounts for color reproduction differences perceived in the two (from what little I've been able to learn). I guess the question comes down to whether the increased response time is worth it. I probably will utilize this more for watching moving video than video games, but the concept should be the same.

The 710t will give you better performance for video. Whether it will give you better performance over the 172x is, obviously, debatable. I have not seen the colors/picture on a 173p, but the 710t is stunning. My suggestion: go to your nearest CompUSSR, Office Depot, etc. and check them out side by side.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a place (including the ones you mention here) that has these two maodels together. The 710t doesn't actually seem to be anywhere in my area (Boston) and even the places that say they have the 173p do not have them in stock so I have not been able to get a look at either of these.

I just got he 710t and really like it. I have a question. When the lcd is on. And I touch the screen -- it is warmer on the top then on the sides or bottom on mine. Is this normal?

abarsami said:
I just got he 710t and really like it. I have a question. When the lcd is on. And I touch the screen -- it is warmer on the top then on the sides or bottom on mine. Is this normal?

Heat rises.

The vent is on top at the back... so I take it... it is normal. Is the 172x like this also?

My short review:

I've tried many lcd's and the colors on this one is really good. I see no ghosting. I'm sure if I really really tried ... but it's fine in unreal 2k4 demo, far cry, nba live. In my opinion samsung lcd's are top notch. I've used the 152t, 213t and now this one. Plus I got it for a really good price from Dell and no dead pixels.

I just ordered mine from Dell a few days ago myself and I'm wondering how you purchased yours. I know I financed mine. I read through pages of disclaimers and such and I'm a little worried how a possible warranty/RMA operation might have to proceed. Their shipping really seems to suck as well, since I was told that it won't even ship out until the 16th of July (estimated).

I'm glad I found it at the best price I've basically seen yet short of Newegg, but I like being to pay only $16/month for it even more, since I have no excess money to outright pay for something so pricey.

Dark Assassin

Don't worry about the expected ship date Dark Assassin. I think they set it so far out because most of their orders are for complete systems that need to be built. They shipped my monitor 2 days after I ordered it, and it even said it was on backorder originally. Too bad the shipping company does not seem to ship in weekends though :(

Well, that's a relief really, Donkey.

Although, just so you know, no carrier delivers to residential or even most businesses on the weekends nor holidays. Only selected and expensive shipping methods to important clientele are exceptions to this rule.

I certainly can't wait until I get this bad boy up and running!

Dark Assassin

How is the black of the 710T screen?I've seen by a friend who owns the 710N that black was not pitchblack (sort of grey) and on the edges you can see the backlights through it.

sorry fo my poor english,i am dutch you now,lol.

You can when it's not displaying black, as in when it has just turned the pixels off. When it is actually displaying black you cannot see the backlight.

BombermanX said:
LCDs rape CRTs in text and color reprodcution. Plain and Simple.

CRTs are better at displaying fast moving picture (at a much lower quality than is possible on an LCD).

LCDs are just a step in making the next generation of displays - OLED or other - it's a necessary step. All technologies go through stages like this. Think of it: Tape to CD to DVD to (BLDVDs, etc). Get my point? LCDs are not ridiculous; if you have ever done any graphic design, or looked at a website even, on a CRT then done the same on an LCD, you will see what I mean.

Im getting a LCD very soon, and im comming from a 19" sony trinitron @ 1280x960 32bit color 85Hz.

Now, you said the color rapes CRT's............... im wondering how this can be if they can only display in 24bit color...........

Also, can anyone tell a major diffrence between 16.2million and 16.7million colors?

Ide keep my trinitron, but im moving to college, and i NEED the space ~_~, so im forced to get a LCD. Just on a side note, has anyone compared the 710T to a sony SDM-FS74P/B ?

~Thanks

towert7 said:
Im getting a LCD very soon, and im comming from a 19" sony trinitron @ 1280x960 32bit color 85Hz.

Now, you said the color rapes CRT's............... im wondering how this can be if they can only display in 24bit color...........

Also, can anyone tell a major diffrence between 16.2million and 16.7million colors?

Ide keep my trinitron, but im moving to college, and i NEED the space ~_~, so im forced to get a LCD. Just on a side note, has anyone compared the 710T to a sony SDM-FS74P/B ?

~Thanks

It's because CRTs approximate color and are based on very innacurate curves (unless you have expensive correction software+hardware to tweak it to perfection, and even then, it's still based on low quality analog). DVI makes all the difference in the world when it comes to color.

The difference between the two (18 and 24) is very noticeable in gradients, colors tend to look choppy because of dithering and this becomes annoying especially when you're looking at grays or doing any sort of graphic design. Trust me, you want a 24-bit panel.

And no to the side note.

Well, just ordered mine from dell. 432.56$US shipped ^_^, so lets see how good it really is.

Now all i need is a new computer, so i can use the DVI-D interface. :D

The 172x is more expensive because it uses the PVA panel and was the first of its kind. It also is lighter, more compact, looks better and can be wall-mounted, but none of its advantages affect its performance.

Thanks. Also, do you know how this compares to the 173P ? Is there a big difference because of the higher response time of the 173P?

As far as I know, the 173p does not perform well for movies and games, but displays a spectacular picture. It may be a good option if you don't game.

I do game, but I love the look of the 173P and 172X. If there was a silver version of the 710T, I'd probably go with that.

So how noticeable is the difference between a 16.2 million color LCD and a 16.7 million color LCD?
The 710T is 16.7 while the 172X is 16.2 :(

The 16.2 million color rating is with software estimations. The hardware capability of a 18-bit monitor is 262,144 colors. There is a big difference. You will notice a lot less color clarity if you're working with graphics, but it will probably not be noticeable in games - unless you're looking for it.

Then the 172x won't be an option for me *sigh*

Damnit! I wanted that thing so bad! But with only 16.2 million colors...
Crap. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back