Just installed XP x64 and was wondering...

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
Doing the usual updates and stuff, was running regular XP Pro yesterday with SP2 included.

Reformatted last night and installed XP Pro x64, is there not a SP2 for it?

Btw, its amazingly fast!

AquaMark 3 fails to load also, crashes when I try to open it. :(

dR.Jester said:
Doing the usual updates and stuff, was running regular XP Pro yesterday with SP2 included.

Reformatted last night and installed XP Pro x64, is there not a SP2 for it?

No there is no Sp2. Sp1 should be included on your disk...remember the code for x64 comes from Server 2003 so it follows it's update schedule.

AquaMark 3 fails to load also, crashes when I try to open it. :(

I haven't tried aquamark but 3dmark2001se didn't work right for me until I changed something...and unfortunately now i can't remember what i changed.

yeah, no aquamark for me - a lot of other software doesnt work either bc they all think that I have Windows server 2003 installed, not XP.

Still, I love the extra kick I get when multitasking and video encoding that 64 bit gives

I reformatted and went back to regular XP SP2.

Freaking Norton 2006 would refuse to install! I also read how people were having problems with BF2 and CoD 2 crashing so its not worth the trouble.

x64 XP Pro is fast! I can tell a huge difference in performance in Windows XP vs X64. Its kind of a bummer to not be running it but I'd rather go without the troubles.

dR.Jester said:
I reformatted and went back to regular XP SP2.

Freaking Norton 2006 would refuse to install! I also read how people were having problems with BF2 and CoD 2 crashing so its not worth the trouble.

x64 XP Pro is fast! I can tell a huge difference in performance in Windows XP vs X64. Its kind of a bummer to not be running it but I'd rather go without the troubles.

Yeah you have to go with Symantec Corp 10 or something like nod32 or avast to work on x64. Sorry to see you go :(

Spectre said:
Yeah you have to go with Symantec Corp 10 or something like nod32 or avast to work on x64. Sorry to see you go :(

Ummm.. more info please? :D

I am , as we speak, on the phone with Symantec getting them to refund my payment for 2006 and my two year subscription.

Supposedly, according to their website, you can load the anti-virus portion of the Symantec Corporate Suite onto an 64bit machine...

Symantec Help Page for Corp Install

What other anti-virus software is there? I hate the idea of waiting a couple of months for Symantec or the other major players to get off thier butts.

What are you looking for exactly? Symantec Corporate works with x64 as does nod32 and Avast 4.6. I have avast 4.6 and Symantec on my x64 box.

Spectre said:
What are you looking for exactly? Symantec Corporate works with x64 as does nod32 and Avast 4.6. I have avast 4.6 and Symantec on my x64 box.

Just a virus scanner that works. I'll search for the ones you mentioned.

[nCn]Preacher said:
Just a virus scanner that works. I'll search for the ones you mentioned.

Ok well of those avast 4.6 is the only free one. Nod32 is relatively cheap and Symantec is probably really expensive...I got it from work because i use that system for VPN.

Spectre said:
Ok well of those avast 4.6 is the only free one. Nod32 is relatively cheap and Symantec is probably really expensive...I got it from work because i use that system for VPN.

I got the avast... installed easy, found 3 items on my old drive. Sweet.

I don't mind paying but the corporate version of symantec is expensive. I can't get work to pay for it because they bought me a new laptop for VPN and XP pro is installed there.

Is Nod32 any better than Avast? Avast seems to have all the bells and whistles you want in a scanner...

[nCn]Preacher said:
Is Nod32 any better than Avast? Avast seems to have all the bells and whistles you want in a scanner...

Some people like nod32 because of it's lighter footprint and some say it works better. Personally I have had no greivences with avast and the price is right :D

Spectre said:
Some people like nod32 because of it's lighter footprint and some say it works better. Personally I have had no greivences with avast and the price is right :D

Good statement there Spectre. I have not used Avast but from all the research I did (and sorting out fanatic b.s. from both sides) on both Avast and nod32 I came to the conclusion that both are equally reliable. I personally went with nod32 and it has done well. I think either would be a fine choice.

I installed x64 a while ago and needed an AV program. Many users have recommended Avast so that's what I went with. After about 6 months of use, I can honestly recommend Avast as a very decent AV program. By far the best part is that such a great program is absolutely free.

drizzt81 said:
Honestly, I do not see any speed difference with xp64 vs xp32.

You won't in gaming. I notice a huge difference in running 64-bit capable apps though.

maytheus said:
You won't in gaming. I notice a huge difference in running 64-bit capable apps though.
QFT

But... it depends on if the game is 64 bit capable. Far Cry 64, for example, has numerous optimizations that the 32 bit version lacks. This includes higher res textures, higher res character models, farther draw distance, etc. The list is quite extensive. And, even with all this 64 bit goodness, the game still runs on a level of performance that the 32 bit version does.

There were a couple of reviews out there, but I haven't got the links. Hopefully the new 64 bit Steam updates for HL2 and HL2:LC will be similar.

I run avast and clamAV as well as microsoft antispyware beta, spybot S&D, Ad-aware, spywareblaster all behind a smoothwall box with advanced web proxy and urlfilter mod with my WinXP 64-bit box .

AVG is supposed to be compatable with 64bit windows now too , but havent tried it.

I dont have any problems with BF2 ..dont have COD2 to try

F.E.A.R.
Quake IV
NFS:MW
Battlefield 2
Hulk (oldie but goodie)
Steam

..all work just peachy

Daemon Tools 4 is now 64bit compatable

My only complaint really is lack of driver support for my scanner and printer, and zone alarm isnt x64 compatable yet

I am running 2gigs of ram currently with another 2gig on the way to play with ..xp 64 w/ 4gigs of ram intreges(sp?) me.

[H]

so should I consider buying this? I reinstalled XP pro but it doesn't like my OEM product key for some reason (mobo bios update?). The plan was to just keep reinstalling every 30 days until XP 64 was ready (running an A64 3200+). How's the performance on non-64 optimized games?

black_b[ ]x said:
so should I consider buying this? I reinstalled XP pro but it doesn't like my OEM product key for some reason (mobo bios update?). The plan was to just keep reinstalling every 30 days until XP 64 was ready (running an A64 3200+). How's the performance on non-64 optimized games?
I havent ran any benchmarks or fraps or anything like that ...but I cant tell the difference personally

[H]

ThreeDee said:
I run avast and clamAV as well as microsoft antispyware beta, spybot S&D, Ad-aware, spywareblaster all behind a smoothwall box with advanced web proxy and urlfilter mod with my WinXP 64-bit box .

AVG is supposed to be compatable with 64bit windows now too , but havent tried it.

I dont have any problems with BF2 ..dont have COD2 to try

F.E.A.R.
Quake IV
NFS:MW
Battlefield 2
Hulk (oldie but goodie)
Steam

[H]

OK Im a noob at x64 but I was wondering how you are getting games like FEAR and BF2 to run on your 64 system? Aren't those games 32 bit only?

PS. I know Valve just released HL2 64 how is that running?

solideliquid said:
OK Im a noob at x64 but I was wondering how you are getting games like FEAR and BF2 to run on your 64 system? Aren't those games 32 bit only?

The 32 bits games run fine on the 64 bit system, they just aren't optimized for it. I installed the HL2 64 bit and didn't see a lot of difference, but I only tried it out for 5 or so minutes. I'll play more with it tonight and see.

my suggesion is if you're running 32-bit XP and you're happy with it, stick with it for now. if you're just a tech whore like i am and you've got some extra time to monkey around with x64, then by all means, try it out. i haven't had any driver issues (my printer, scanner, etc all have x64 drivers now), but the lack of firewall/virus scanner support bugs me. supposedly zonelabs is supposed to have at least a beta version of zonealarm out by the end of the year, and i'm using avast for virus scanning. from what i've read, NOD32 is a little better than avast, but it's not free, and i'm a cheap bastard. i also think that only the paid versions of AVG are x64 compatible.

solideliquid said:

Very old programs may contain old DOS based installers that are not supported by x64 edition I've heard. I haven't tried to install software that old on my computer so I can't tell you first hand.

x64 edition can run 32 bit software without issue. The real trouble starts with anti-piracy drivers that are 32 bit only (Old starforce games like silent hunter 3 won't run I hear). Newer starforce games such as UFO:aftershock include their 64 bit driver and will run. I still consider starforce and similar drivers a virus though so I strongly encourage people NOT to purchase or install this malware on your system and if you do avoid them then you will not have issues with games in x64. It's win/win.

Back