Limp Gawd
a basic rundown..

shuttle XPC, Model ST61G4L
533/800MHz FSB Intel CPU
Chipsets: ATI RS300 + IXP150
3.2 ghz
2.095 gigs of ram
geforce fx 5900 ultra card

i've recently made a quick $300 and i'd like to try and use it to upgrade my computer in any way possible, but i have zero ideas on what hardware i should spend it on!

i'm delving into serious video editing, so can i have some recommendations? keep in mind i have a fairly small case

Shuttle proprietary PSU, I should think. It has to be plenty, and I understand they're quite quiet and well-made.

If you're going to be getting into video editing, you might want to spend some of that money on a big hard drive. DV is huge.

i actually just got a 300gig HD, alongside with my 60gig squeezed into my shuttle - so i'm fairly good as far as space goes...for now

i'm thinking perhaps a vid card would be a nice idea, but i have no idea what would be a smart choice these days. i'm a gamer, but i only play a new title every so often (last was doom3, now waiting for my next big purchase). photoshop/graphic work/animation/video is more of what keeps my system busy, and i don't know if there are cards more suited to this... and for $300.

i'd really like to squeeze every last bit of performance and speed out of this sucker that i can.

Those two cards are about what's left for choices; AGP is fading in popularity in the shadow of PCI-Express, and they're some of the latest releases that you can find in stock for a respectable price. (You could find older cards that cost more but will not perform as well. Those are at the top of their game.)

I'd say get the X800XT All in Wonder card above...can't go wrong there.

Back