Just ordered my new fx-8350, HD 7950 workstation / gaming rig.

onefish

n00b
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit

AMD FX-8350
MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 32GB

Fractal Design Define R4
Corsair Professional HX750W 750W Power Supply
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK Heatsink
Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140MM
Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W UPS

Samsung 2560X1440 27IN LED PLS LCD Monitor

Audioengine 5 Premium 75 Watt Bookshelf Speakers
BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" 1000 Watt Subwoofer

I'll being doing a lot of photoshop work with very large files, writing javascript code, gaming, listening to music, and watching media on this machine. I'm incredibly excited to listen to tunes on the speakers/subwoofer, and use the more than HD monitor. I've got another really nice 24" 1920x1200 monitior that will become my secondary when this arrives. I have been holding off on upgrading windows for what seems like my entire life, running an incredibly tweaked and customized xp build for as long as I can remember. The performance benefits of >3 gigs of ram, the SSD, and now the bulldozer cores, have convinced my to finally move on. I was absolutely certain when I started piecing together the build that I would be going with an AMD processor. Say what you want, but I'd just prefer to support them in some way. 32 gigs of ram might seem like an over kill but I'm hoping not to have to upgrade for a long time and want to be able to work on massive photoshop projects without ever having to worry. The Define R4 seems like pretty much exactly what I want in a case, save for the plastic front piece. It's a big step up from my old modded Antec p180.

What do you think? I had a good amount of money to spend on this, which came in at about $3,800 with tax and everything. The monitor and the speakers (with the sub) were about $700 each, respectively, before tax. Do you think all the hardware is complementary together? What kind of modding would you recommend, given the general red and black interior?

Just enjoy your build man. You don't want to know what some of us really think about your choice of parts.

Holly hell..$3800 for that? Please don't take this the wrong way but, is it too late to cancel the order and ask for a refund?

I like the Cyberpower UPS, Video card & speaker setup.

Other than that, I definitely would have spent the money differently.

Corsair Professional HX750W 750W Power Supply
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK Heatsink

the psu is way overkill & big waste of money.

The heatsink is just plain stupid overpriced.

Holly hell..$3800 for that? Please don't take this the wrong way but, is it too late to cancel the order and ask for a refund?

3800?! Maybe he read the invoice wrong?

I guess enjoy it, but like others have said, I would of taken a different route.

the psu is way overkill & big waste of money.
The heatsink is just plain stupid overpriced.

I got a larger psu in case of future multi-gpu aspirations, and i got the heat sink for $54.99 so i think that's pretty good.

I guess yeah, i should just enjoy it :) the computer alone (no speakers/monitor) was about $2,200 including tax...

Looks reasonable for what you intent to do. Very.
Generally, on this forum, people like to max out the CPU/Video hardware and lower peripheral costs.
Enjoy, looks like fun.

given the general cost of this computer, should I spend the $130 or so on getting a top of the line video card versus the single step back card that I ordered? will I even notice a difference?

given the general cost of this computer, should I spend the $130 or so on getting a top of the line video card versus the single step back card that I ordered? will I even notice a difference?
If you need the most gaming performance possible at whatever the cost, regardless of "bang for the buck value", then yes go for the HD 7970 or GTX 680.

Back