Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

the text has pink fringing with cleartype subpixel rendering. On grayscale anti-aliasing as in macs you'll not see any pink.

My text has the pink fringing if I am running on the stock brightness and sharpness of 40.

With sharpness at 0, the text looks great to me.

the text has pink fringing with cleartype subpixel rendering. On grayscale anti-aliasing as in macs you'll not see any pink.

My text has the pink fringing if I am running on the stock brightness and sharpness of 40.

With sharpness at 0, the text looks great to me.

Thanks for this tip. Right, I never saw any kind of pink fringing, but it all looked overly-jagged and ugly. With sharpness at '0' it looks fuzzy, but at 10 and even 20 it all looks significantly better now. Don't know why I didn't try that earlier. Now it all looks good and comparable to my Lenovo.

I'm finding the same with anti aliased fonts. With Windows 7, fonts seem quite blurry/fuzzy and faint compared to what i'm used to. Tried the cleartype tuner but can't get fonts to look right.
Also tried with an OSX panther machine and the fonts look worse than windows.

Dont know if this is to do with the 1680x1050 resolution on a large screen. Was looking at a different 22inch screen today with 1920x1080 resolution and the fonts looked better to me. Any opinions on the L220x?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I put the sharpness down to 10 or even 20 and the text looks much better. As for the lenovo, I think it's a great display - vibrant, good viewing angles (though not as good as the Dell IPS), excellent backlight homogeneity except for some corner bleed at the top and, above all, great resolution. It also has superior ergonomics, adjustability and cable management. I'd definitely recommend it.

hey PaulE. Also try the Cleartype Tuner and use 10e or crazycap's profile. they really jazz things up

After a few days of wearing it in, the monitor is looking pretty good.

I have gone through this entire thread trying to learn about the proper setting/profiles people are loading for this monitor and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with that. I saw the profile that 10e and Crazycap posted, but I am uncertain in how to properly load and implement it into my monitor/graphics card. Atm I still haven't upgrade to a new card and still using my 6800 Ultra. If anyone has time, would you be able to post up an quick summery of how to load the profiles.

Thanks again.

More to say, could someone post links to the two profiles mentioned above?

Thanks! :D

just saw my profile has been mentioned here, this is the previous post about the calibration setting I use. Hope it helps

crazycap said:
just to throw in to the mix, here's my setting and profile calibrated with xrite i1d2
Target Brightness was 120cd/m², color temp 6500K, 2.2 gamma

Settings:
Brightness - 16
Contrast -74
Custom (RGB) R98 G95 B94
Sharpness - 40 (or whatever works for you with lagom's sharpness test as reference)

icc file link here

EDITED:
my service menu setting
Offset R142 G131 B129
Gain R105 G108 B106

Bank Scaler
Addr 00 Value 88

How the heck are you guys getting your displays already? I ordered Feb. 25th and just today got notification that shipping has been delayed and expected delivery is March 13th. :confused:

Just got my 2209WA delivered a few days ago as an upgrade to my old Dell 2001FP IPS panel.

I didn't check out this thread until I noticed a few problems with my display. First thing I noticed was that on very light backgrounds (white or light gray/yellow) there was a perceivable difference in color temperature between the left and right sides of the monitor which I'm assuming is due to uneven backlighting. The left side of the screen has cooler blue tint while the right side appears warmer and more yellow.

Also one other thing that's kind of bothering me is that the display has weird kind of fuzzy brightness that I can't dial out through adjustments. My HDTV for movies and games is a heavily calibrated Sony XBR970 CRT so I'm really spoiled when it comes to accurate color reproduction and black levels, but I'm still trying to get adjusted to this new display.

I had that exact same problem with the shift in color temperature with 3 different Dell 2007WFP IPS panels more than 2 years ago. On all 3 of them, there would be a shift in color temperature around 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen when viewing on a light colored background like light grey or white, with left side being more magenta tinted and right side being more yellowish. The thing is, all 3 monitors varied on where the color temperature started so I really think Dell has a quality control issue on their IPS type monitors, even now. In contrast, I had 4 different NEC 20WMGX2's which didn't have any of those uniformity issues at all so I really think it's more of a Dell issue than LG.

This thread...curse this thread :).

I'm in for two. I got the 25% off coupon applied, so $224.25... however for two monitors, $70 in tax is applied. Go California! Total of $518.62. Such is life.

I'll be sure to try the different profiles here. I'm hoping I don't see the color shift defect that some are reporting.

This thread...curse this thread :).

I'm in for two. I got the 25% off coupon applied, so $224.25... however for two monitors, $70 in tax is applied. Go California! Total of $518.62. Such is life.

I'll be sure to try the different profiles here. I'm hoping I don't see the color shift defect that some are reporting.

Who did you order from, or how?

Spoke with a kind woman named Leslie.

The coupon linked in the hot deals section for 25% off (T4346M$Q6GRJB$) isn't being accepted online, but they can still apply it, as it's not supposed to expire until tonight.

Hope that helps.

PS - looks like Canadians get it even more cheaply! Lucky folks.

Hello all first time poster here but long time computer enthusiast... been member of ocf for awhile now. Anyways i purchased a 2209wa for 212 w/ free shipping (called up dell small business) Its an awesome monitor... by far the best 22incher i have ever used.

That being said has anyone been able to get the max stated rez of 1680x1050 @ 75hz to work... its plaster all over the documentation as this is the max resolution... but when i force it the monitor runs at 840x1050@75hz for some reason and looks like crap.... tried on both analog and digital connections and it does the same thing.

I know this may be a stupid question to ask, but is the E-IPS panel as good as the S-IPS panel on the 2007WFP? I do have a device to calibrate the display so I'm not concerned about the out of the box settings.

Also, can someone confirm that the bezel is pure black? Or it uses a silver/black bezel that the previous ultrasharp displays used?

Fun fact I found about my 2209wa. I have Audioengine A5 speakers, and the other day I noticed they were producing a huge amount of background buzz. I never really noticed the buzz before, so I started experimenting. As it turns out the buzz was from the monitor being plugged into the same power strip as the speakers, I dunno maybe this is a problem with all monitors not just the 2209WA, but my power-strip is a Monster Power surge protector with clean power filtering technology (guess that didnt do shit, but whatever I got a good deal on it.) so I would have thought that it would clean up any dirty power.

Anyways I easily solved this issue by plugging the monitor into a different outlet. Buzz went away and now there is no more background noise in my techno : ).

There's a deal on at dell.ca right now, only $220 CDN for this monitor. It's a really good deal considering $200USD is at $250 CDN right now.

Free shipping as well. This is a great opportunity to buy this monitor... I would jump on it if I didn't already get the 2309W for other computer when it came on sale last time.

:Shakes fists: Damn you Dell Canada :) got me in for 2.

PS - It's listed under "Home and Home Office" also. I didn't know and ordered through "Small Business". Hope they can consolidate my accounts later.

Edit - Only in "Home and Home Office" due to Mar 2-5 sale banner. Sorry for not being clear.

I know this may be a stupid question to ask, but is the E-IPS panel as good as the S-IPS panel on the 2007WFP? I do have a device to calibrate the display so I'm not concerned about the out of the box settings.

Also, can someone confirm that the bezel is pure black? Or it uses a silver/black bezel that the previous ultrasharp displays used?

It is visually very similar, so you are probably already "use to it" in a sense... The only difference is that the off-angle purple shimmer on blacks is now an off-angle white/grey shimmer on blacks.

The bezel is matte black. There is a silver strip on it but it is not visible from the front. The stand is black and silver.

I'm gonna have 4 vertical, does anyone have any photos of a pair or more aligned vertical?

Been following this forum and thread for ages, very happy to have the sale pop up - what a gift

I almost got set up with the 22" glossy LG Flatrons but they have been delisted from canadian big box stores for some reason, and was balking at the price to go for the 24" HP IPS. Having followed this thread and forum I know im not as picky as some, but wanted best value for me poor eyes.

Lately Ive been toying with 30" but the 2007 is $1300cdn on sale and for the software I run, multimonitor works better for me esp with this resolution.

thanks again all, enjoy all the reading / research

Got my 2209wa in today, no defects that I can tell so far. Nice and even back light, and colors look very good after a little tinkering with some settings. Was way too bright out of the box and haven't noticed any gamma issues either but I'll have more time to mess with it tomorrow night after work.

Visually its awesome compared to my quickly aging Sammy 205bw, that I've had some very uneven back light issues lately with. All dark, high contrast video would show strips of lighting about 2" wide that are a little brighter than the rest of the picture. Having the two side by side is night and day, though its a 4 year old TN next to a much better quality screen.

Price was perfect too, $226 shipped is about $30 cheaper than what my Samsung cost a few years ago so I am nice and happy. :D

Just ordered one of these for my g/f (sheesh, I gotta buy myself something sometime), and I'm hoping she likes the colours better than the acer 22" TN monitor I got for her about 2 years ago.

From all accounts this monitor has great colours and people have been falling all over themselves for another IPS panel since the Dell 2007 model...

Just ordered one of these for my g/f (sheesh, I gotta buy myself something sometime), and I'm hoping she likes the colours better than the acer 22" TN monitor I got for her about 2 years ago.

From all accounts this monitor has great colours and people have been falling all over themselves for another IPS panel since the Dell 2007 model...

lol no the greatest idea, my gf simply can't tell the difference between the color on IPS or TN

if you are "upgrading" her 22" with another 22", she will probably asked you why spend the extra money on the same thing :D

I first tried to call in, but the queue seemed to be long. Then I tried to call some of the agents listed in the Slickdeals thread directly, but those went to voicemail. Lastly, I went through the dell chat link and the whole process maybe took 10min and I ordered 2 for $212/each + tax and free shipping. They should be here next week!

lol no the greatest idea, my gf simply can't tell the difference between the color on IPS or TN

if you are "upgrading" her 22" with another 22", she will probably asked you why spend the extra money on the same thing :D

Well, she's fairly tech-oriented. I showed her that youtube video someone made of the viewing angles and colour rendition and she knows her TN panel doesn't have the best colours, so she was pretty excited about getting a new monitor with better colours for movies etc. She never tells me how to spend my money either, which, supposedly, is rare.

A good way to make your partner fall asleep is to start talking about TN vs MVA vs IPS, or how areal density can increase HDD transfer speeds... works every time...

Well, I received my 2209wa yesterday.

I'm quite pleased with this monitor considering its price, picture quality is quite close the HP LP2475w I returned a while ago.

What is different compared to the HP is that the black level of the HP was slightly better, and the HP's colors where more saturated due to it being a wide gamut monitor, but the panels in both monitors have the same characteristics.

My screen does have a few minor issues:

- There is just a pinch of backlight bleeding in the upper left side of the screen.

- The monitor does have some brightness uniformity issues, the left side is slightly brighter than the right, although this effect is not nearly as obvious and obtrusive as the color uniformity issues my HP had, you can still spot it when you have the screen filled with a single solid color, especially white.

- Although not really a defect, the somewhat annoying white glow effect is affecting this monitor as well, but this seems the case with most cheaper IPS based monitors, and probably one of the biggest issues these monitors have.

All things considered, this is still a monitor with an outstanding picture, and a really good price.

If 24-inch monitors were a lot cheaper I would have preferred getting one of them instead, but I would have to pay twice as much to get the same quality in a 24-inch screen.

Man I really want one of these, gonna probably give in and grab one in another week or two.

After a few days of use the brightness uniformity issue is starting annoy me a bit.
Is there a chance that with more backlight hours on this things the issue will be less pronounced?

Honestly, I'm starting to consider sending this one back, But I really do not want to, especially having sent back a LP2475w before I really don't want all the hassle again, but I also want a monitor that doesn't have any major issues.

I'm wondering whether swapping it will be worth it, and how big the possibility is that a replacement has the same issue or even other problems that are worse.

But I'm a bit disappointed by the rather large number of people including myself experiencing such issues with LCD technology in general, other electronic products I purchased either worked completely without error or simply didn't work at all, even the many audio components I bought.

I don't understand why there are so many bugged LCD screens around, Is it that difficult to create LCD monitors without any defects and issues?

Heck, If LCD technology is so hard to get right all the time, they should move on to something better (Perhaps OLED or FED) soon in order to guarantee fault free screens.

Anyway, I never had quality control issues much with any other products I bought, but LCD always seems to dissapoint in that area.

i have the monitor for about 5 days now, i know that some people here had a lot more time to mess with the settings and maybe have some calibration devices.

what are the best ideal settings?

After a few days of use the brightness uniformity issue is starting annoy me a bit.
Is there a chance that with more backlight hours on this things the issue will be less pronounced?

Honestly, I'm starting to consider sending this one back, But I really do not want to, especially having sent back a LP2475w before I really don't want all the hassle again, but I also want a monitor that doesn't have any major issues.

I'm wondering whether swapping it will be worth it, and how big the possibility is that a replacement has the same issue or even other problems that are worse.

But I'm a bit disappointed by the rather large number of people including myself experiencing such issues with LCD technology in general, other electronic products I purchased either worked completely without error or simply didn't work at all, even the many audio components I bought.

I don't understand why there are so many bugged LCD screens around, Is it that difficult to create LCD monitors without any defects and issues?

Heck, If LCD technology is so hard to get right all the time, they should move on to something better (Perhaps OLED or FED) soon in order to guarantee fault free screens.

Anyway, I never had quality control issues much with any other products I bought, but LCD always seems to dissapoint in that area.

They do make LCD screens with no defects or issues. Or at least very, very few. They're called the high-end NECs, Eizos, or LaCies. They cost several thousand dollars apiece because they have incredibly strict quality control and manufacturing tolerances and hence low production yield to ensure that every display has high background uniformity, good color reproduction, etc. It just seems that you are unwilling to pay the price for one.

And if you think good defect-free LCD screens are expensive, don't even think about OLEDs. The technology isn't mature enough yet to make it feasable, perhaps not even at any cost. Sorry to say but LCDs are the best we got right now.

There is also that thread focused on the giant 90lb 24" CRT...

Ruahrc

Ruahrc, agreed

there are perfect screens but cost of them is quite high. some people are just to hard to please.

They do make LCD screens with no defects or issues. Or at least very, very few. They're called the high-end NECs, Eizos, or LaCies. They cost several thousand dollars apiece because they have incredibly strict quality control and manufacturing tolerances and hence low production yield to ensure that every display has high background uniformity, good color reproduction, etc. It just seems that you are unwilling to pay the price for one.

The exact same uniformity issues discussed here are prevalent on the NEC 3090 that cost ~$2000.

And if you think good defect-free LCD screens are expensive, don't even think about OLEDs. The technology isn't mature enough yet to make it feasable, perhaps not even at any cost. Sorry to say but LCDs are the best we got right now.

There is also that thread focused on the giant 90lb 24" CRT...

Ruahrc

I probably expected too much at this price point, unfortunately I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to audio/video, which is really annoying :D.

And I was wondering whether these issues could be considered 'defects', or that they are pretty normal in monitors in this price class.

My older 17" LCD monitor and 32" HDTV do have slight uniformity issues, but not as noticeable as the Dell.

In the end the issue isn't that bad, It sure is visible on solid colors, even on the text on this forum, but when playing games or videos its really hard to spot.

Back