Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Dang RAFA, they gave me an estimate of 4/15 delivery date w/ free 3-5 day shipping. I ordered the thing last night at 8:00, and it shipped today! So I'm thinking middle of next week which would be less than a week total.

Cliff, I'd say give it a try, worst they can do is tell you no. I just went on sales online chat and said, "Do you have any deals on the UltraSharp 2209WA? A friend of mine told me he got it today for $212." He was like, "Did he use a coupon?" I said "No I don't think so", then he said he'd talk to his manager. Came back a few minutes later and said "We'll match that price", which was pretty cool. If that doesn't work, they might have another deal on it sometime in the next few weeks, those usually come and go.

Yup mine is also tilted a little - maybe 2mm or 1.5. Very minor. I love the stand though.......I'm serious when I say this thing is legendary - so freaking versatile. This stand + IPS = godly. This stand + TN = wasted.

Agreed. Mine is a tiny bit off too, but not enough to bother me. Pivoting on a TN is useless, Trying to read text on a 90 degree rotated TN makes me want to set my eyes on fire with battery acid.

I guess it makes a good buddy to your FP241VW. Both standard gamut, low lag, and good viewing angles.

Thanks for the photos!

Dang RAFA, they gave me an estimate of 4/15 delivery date w/ free 3-5 day shipping. I ordered the thing last night at 8:00, and it shipped today! So I'm thinking middle of next week which would be less than a week total.

Ok, maybe I just need to keep on checking up on it..

myshkinbob said:
Once the panel is getting a genuine 1680x1050@75Hz signal it works nicely. I did some tearing tests to verify the screen does physically refresh at 75Hz, i.e. the panel's internal signal processing doesn't reduce it back to 60Hz like some monitors will.

If anyone wants to double-check that, i used Portal with net_graph 3 enabled in console to see my current FPS, first with v-sync disabled to find a nice area where tearing is easily visible, then switched to v-sync enabled, checked the net_graph was locked at 75 FPS and verified the tearing was gone. If the screen was downsampling the 75Hz to 60Hz, then 75Hz v-sync would still show tearing, akin to 75fps at 60Hz without v-sync.
That isn't how to test if it's really 75 Hz. There wouldn't be tearing with vsync regardless.

The best way to tell is to move a window around or even just the mouse cursor and see if it's smoother or if it judders. If it's smoother, it's doing 75 Hz. If it judders, it's skipping every 5th frame.

I haven't seen any IPS panel that can do 75 Hz at the native resolution without skipping frames, so if someone can verify this, I might be interested in getting one.

Also, does the "4:3" scaling option scale to 4:3 or is it really aspect scaling? It doesn't have 1:1 mapping, but most people want aspect scaling, not 1:1 mapping.

Hey guys sorry to bump this. But does anyone have a quick reference to the color settings for this monitor? I finally got one off ebay for $198 after 14% cashback which was instantly deposited to my pp account. Way better then getting CA taxed on Dell.com.

So, i bought a HP W2207 awhile back and found it horrible (you can check my post history for reference). I'm ready to give an lcd a 2nd try and would appreciate all the help i can get. My biggest problem with the W2207 was the over brightness and i've seen many people here with the 2209WA setting the brightness to 0 or complaining about eye strain, headache, etc.

1. For folks that are sensitive to brightness, are you ok with your purchase (2209WA)? can you stay for hours reading without a problem?
2. I haven't found the 2007WFP on Dell, is it discontinued?
3. Do the 2007FP(4:3) still ips or is it just pva now?

Honestly, all i want is being able to stay in front of it.

Thanks in advance

So, i bought a HP W2207 awhile back and found it horrible (you can check my post history for reference). I'm ready to give an lcd a 2nd try and would appreciate all the help i can get. My biggest problem with the W2207 was the over brightness and i've seen many people here with the 2209WA setting the brightness to 0 or complaining about eye strain, headache, etc.

1. For folks that are sensitive to brightness, are you ok with your purchase (2209WA)? can you stay for hours reading without a problem?
2. I haven't found the 2007WFP on Dell, is it discontinued?
3. Do the 2007FP(4:3) still ips or is it just pva now?

Honestly, all i want is being able to stay in front of it.

Thanks in advance

Although I do not have this monitor anymore, I found it very good. To answer your questions:
1. I had no problem with brightness. Yes, in VGA connection the brightness setting did not have much effect but along with the contrast, you can find a comfortable setting (and I used it in very deemed room). The single thing that concerned me was that this display is so sharp that text seemed jagged. ClearType helped a lot (on windows XP). I believe brightness setting was a different thing if you use DVI connection. I may be wrong here, but that's how I remember it.
2. Yes 2007wfp is out of production
3. In last revision, that is 05, it settled on IPS.

Hope that helps. And another thing. This monitor is the best I have seen for watching photos. Amazing quality...

Last edited:
Price being lower and lower in Sweden which is nice but how is this display for games..?
Ghosting...input lag etc...?
I would say that I'm a medium gamer.. FPS (multiplay) .. RTS games most.

That isn't how to test if it's really 75 Hz. There wouldn't be tearing with vsync regardless.

The best way to tell is to move a window around or even just the mouse cursor and see if it's smoother or if it judders. If it's smoother, it's doing 75 Hz. If it judders, it's skipping every 5th frame.

I haven't seen any IPS panel that can do 75 Hz at the native resolution without skipping frames, so if someone can verify this, I might be interested in getting one.

Also, does the "4:3" scaling option scale to 4:3 or is it really aspect scaling? It doesn't have 1:1 mapping, but most people want aspect scaling, not 1:1 mapping.

I'll see if I can get it working. I tried with my nVidia card over DVI but the monitor reported 60hz, so I'll try with another PC and maybe VGA.

The fill and 4:3 don't do any aspect scaling. 4:3 will take any resolution you send it and stretch/squash to 4:3.

Price being lower and lower in Sweden which is nice but how is this display for games..?
Ghosting...input lag etc...?
I would say that I'm a medium gamer.. FPS (multiplay) .. RTS games most.

Very good. Input lag is low on average, according to Digitalversus at 9ms.

Motion blur seems low. This should suffice for most hardcore gamers, so for you it should be great. It is also standard gamut so you don't have to worry about over saturated colors.

Although I do not have this monitor anymore, I found it very good. To answer your questions:
1. I had no problem with brightness. Yes, in VGA connection the brightness setting did not have much effect but along with the contrast, you can find a comfortable setting (and I used it in very deemed room). The single thing that concerned me was that this display is so sharp that text seemed jagged. ClearType helped a lot (on windows XP). I believe brightness setting was a different thing if you use DVI connection. I may be wrong here, but that's how I remember it.
2. Yes 2007wfp is out of production
3. In last revision, that is 05, it settled on IPS.

Hope that helps. And another thing. This monitor is the best I have seen for watching photos. Amazing quality...

Probably due to pixel pitch being high (0.282mm). Well, at least it's the impression i got fromn most well received 22"s. It's one of the reasons i'm leaning toward the old 2007fp. A think i should create a new thread with a shorter version of my post since you cleared it a bit. Thanks.

I've seen many people here with the 2209WA setting the brightness to 0 or complaining about eye strain, headache, etc.

I am totally happy with 10e's profile using 0 brightness and contrast of 74 (R99,G98,B100 in custom RGB) even in total darkness. I am using this monitor much more than previous one and my eye strain problems are gone thanks to 2209WA.

jis, what OS are you using? Does the text sharpness bother you? black on white background, particularly. (glowing effect?)

I'm probably ordering 2 or 3 these displays for my setup. 2 for my desktop and 1 for my laptop. What is the Max height these go to? and the lowest they go?

Just ordered 2x Dell 2209WA. $212/monitor. I did this through Dell SMB Chat like others on the thread. Super easy. Told them "my friend just ordered the 2209WA. I'd like the same price $212/monitor + 3-5 day free shipping" Delivery date: 4/17

Took longer to register on [H]ardForums and post this reply vs. order them ;)

So happy I found this forum. Learned a lot in the last two days!

Probably due to pixel pitch being high (0.282mm). Well, at least it's the impression i got fromn most well received 22"s. It's one of the reasons i'm leaning toward the old 2007fp. A think i should create a new thread with a shorter version of my post since you cleared it a bit. Thanks.

I'm not sure it depends on pixel pitch solely. At work I have an eizo s1911 (TN, 0.297 pixel pitch) and I had not noticed any jagged text. After getting the dell I looked for it in eizo and it is there, but nowhere near the dell. My guess is that the coating plays a big part in it.

I have a photo if you are interested (sorry it's Greek and has some noise):)

and 1:1:

word document, Arial 12, bold.

I guess the jagged text is there just because the image is so sharp (coating?).

To sum up my opinion of this monitor, I believe it's one of the best monitors (if not the best) in this price range. Especially if you are dealing with photography (as I do). The biggest concern might be to get a good unit, since there seems to be poor quality control from dell (I experienced that), but fortunately dell is keen enough to replace it on just a phone call...

Last edited:
Thanks, it probably helps them to lower the cost. About your first answer, out of curiosity, did you send it back to dell for a new one or just return it? :p

jis, what OS are you using? Does the text sharpness bother you? black on white background, particularly. (glowing effect?)
Windows Vista and Seven. I haven't had any problems with sharpness of text. I am satisfied even with achieved quality of picture over just D-SUB connection.

Last edited:
Is there a way to keep the USB ports working with the monitor off and computer on?

Just ordered 2x Dell 2209WA. $212/monitor. I did this through Dell SMB Chat like others on the thread. Super easy. Told them "my friend just ordered the 2209WA. I'd like the same price $212/monitor + 3-5 day free shipping" Delivery date: 4/17

Took longer to register on [H]ardForums and post this reply vs. order them ;)

So happy I found this forum. Learned a lot in the last two days!

Yeah this is the pretty much the best forum on the whole interwebs.

Hey guys, I ordered one using dell chat, I gave my cc info to the representative to place the order since I didn't put the billing information on my account beforehand, do the representatives usually ask for this info?

They did ask me for my billing and shipping info, but I don't see why you would have a problem with them asking?

Well it's common to see things like "representatives will never ask for your personal info" on the internet so I think his concern is perfectly legitimate but in this case I believe it was completely normal.

Eh I guess I'm just a bit paranoid about giving the dell rep my cc # instead of typing it into the website itself, heh. But I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Suddenly decided I didn't want this monitor now. Okay umm.. anyone have experience canceling orders purchased through small business? I want to cancel my order now but I keep getting the runaround.. wtf. Has anyone succuessfully canceled their order or know a number where there will actually be someone to help me? I would really appreciate it.. thanks.

Oh I just decided to hold off on the upgrades for now, it had nothing to do with me not liking the monitor or anything. I hope you enjoy yours when it comes.

Oh I just decided to hold off on the upgrades for now, it had nothing to do with me not liking the monitor or anything. I hope you enjoy yours when it comes.

Between cancelling monitor orders and not using deodorant, you will be saving yourself a small fortune!

I was gonna order one earlier but I backed out of their online chat. They asked me what my company name/number is. What are you guys telling them when they ask that question?

I was gonna order one earlier but I backed out of their online chat. They asked me what my company name/number is. What are you guys telling them when they ask that question?

i made one up. company NKS inc. and phone used my cell

Is there a way to keep the USB ports working with the monitor off and computer on?

have the same issue, when i leave the pc on over night i usually turn off the monitor. sometimes after turning monitor on usb doesn't get picked up correctly.

I gave her the name of the company I work for and I guess she just took down the number that I was calling from [showed up on the receipt]..

I was like "Dude I didn't know this was the small business store, I don't have a company..." And the salesman said "I just need a name and number..." LOL. So I just gave him my personal name and phone number. He ended up messing up the order because the phone number he associated with the order wasn't mine at all (must have mixed orders up), but I was like, oh well, as long as I get my monitor. Except now someone probably has my number. At least I have theirs...

Dell ended up pushing back my Estimated Delivery Date from the 15th to the 22nd.. :mad:

3423358493_74a1aeaa38_o.jpg

Last edited:

I also didn't realize it was Small Business site, so when he asked for my company I just said "Oh, I'm a private individual and didn't know this was the small business site." He said" ok, no problem I can place this order for you."

Dell ended up pushing back my Estimated Delivery Date from the 15th to the 22nd.. :mad:

That stinks... mine was ordered on the night of the 2nd as well, I got the free 3-5 day shipping, and it is out for delivery to my house right now.

Wifey just tried this. Normal price at $279. Would not budge. Doesn't have time to call back a few times or find out where the SMB chat is or anything so she's just paying 279.

That stinks... mine was ordered on the night of the 2nd as well, I got the free 3-5 day shipping, and it is out for delivery to my house right now.

My shipping was also free, but I ordered two, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it [<-- shouldn't]..

Wifey just tried this. Normal price at $279. Would not budge. Doesn't have time to call back a few times or find out where the SMB chat is or anything so she's just paying 279.
Just call and save your self some money..

Destinee Allen is the sales rep I purchased from.
Email: [[email protected]]
Phone: (512) 946-0559

Back