Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

I had a problem where some yellow tape slipped into the display of the monitor of my 2007FP. I took the whole thing apart and removed the yellow tape myself, right from the panel. The problem was fixed but a piece of lint flew onto the panel while I was fixing it and you could see it in the monitor. I opened it up to fix it again but I must have damaged something because after I turned it back on, the whole screen was screwed up and warped. So if you open it, be very careful.

That's a nice monitor, after using crt's all day at work, coming home to my crappy 19" dynex tv was always a pain, but this thing, at least to my eyes is just as good as a crt.
Also got pretty lucky, 0 dead pixels, and only slight backlight bleeding on the edges, but every lcd has that.
Funny story, I thought it had a dead pixel, I wiped the area with a cloth turned out to be a spec of dust, then 5 minutes later I saw it again, but thought it was a dead pixel again. I did this 3 times total.

Got mine today, no weird tints or dead pixels. Blows my T61's display out of the water. A lot better than the other two Dells we have.
sicc_1.jpg

I like your wallpaper. Mind telling me where to find it or sharing it?

My 2209WA I'm going to use at work came in today. Very nice, no dead pixels or discoloration.

Only issue is backlight bleed in the lower left corner. Only noticeable on a black screen.

It's not nearly as nice as my Apple LED, but looks great for the size.

Just came in and it looks absolutely stunning.
It was definitely worth the two week wait.

No backlight bleeding nor any dead pixels.

Finally something that could come close to the 2005FPW I currently use

So Dell makes an awesome monitor and then stops selling it? WTF I can't find this thing anywhere!

They take it off the site when it's out of stock.

I ordered a couple days ago by phone and it has a September (!!) estimated delivery date.

Has anyone ever gotten a U.S.-based Dell Small Business sales or customer service rep.? If so, what phone # do you use?

Received my monitors yesterday. They are calibrated by a spyder 3. These truly are amazing monitors.

I switched from a single Westinghouse 37 inch to dual Dell 2209WA monitors. I was worried about the size difference, and at first I was a little disappointed by the lack of overwhelming size. However, once I began to use the monitors I found how much I love the additional desktop area I get with two monitors. Not to mention the image quality on the Dell's is light years ahead of the Westinghouse. The dot pitch is much tighter, the viewing angle is awesome and the color reproduction is really outstanding.

I'm so enthused about my workstation right now that I don't want to leave and go to work where I have crappy dual 19inch widescreen TN Dells.

Regardless, my wife thinks I am crazy because now in my office I have one pc with a westy 37 and a 19inch benq and my main machine with 2 22" Dell's and a cintiq 12" touchscreen drawing pad. So I grabbed my Taylor acoustic guitar and told her that all the monitors in this room pale in comparison to how much the guitar costs ;)

They take it off the site when it's out of stock.

I ordered a couple days ago by phone and it has a September (!!) estimated delivery date.

Has anyone ever gotten a U.S.-based Dell Small Business sales or customer service rep.? If so, what phone # do you use?

I was able to email the small biz representative that was posted by a member a few posts back, and she was able to place an order for me at the 200 dollar + tax sale price! Couldn't believe it! I had an outstanding order at a higher price, and she canceled it for me, and placed the new order for me.

I'm in the same boat as you, September ship data. Hopefully comes sooner.

Wow. That has to be the first time I have ever seen something discontinued for being too popular. :confused: :eek:

LG couldn't supply enough panels to meet demand so they are discontinuing it.

That is what the dell rep claims in dell forum.

Yeah, I'm super surprised at it. Most people who ordered at the end of June and the beginning of July are reporting ship dates that moved all the way back to September. I'm glad I found two brand new ones on eBay, the seller had 10 available and they all sold within a matter of hours.

Wow. That has to be the first time I have ever seen something discontinued for being too popular. :confused: :eek:

LG couldn't supply enough panels to meet demand so they are discontinuing it.

That is what the dell rep claims in dell forum.

I had that bad feeling when dell removed the information about it a few weeks back. All I can say is wow.........I'm lucky to have pulled the trigger at the end of may for one at $210 (after taxes). It's a shock that they discontinued it, it is one of the best monitors I've ever had (hands down).

Yeah, I'm super surprised at it. Most people who ordered at the end of June and the beginning of July are reporting ship dates that moved all the way back to September. I'm glad I found two brand new ones on eBay, the seller had 10 available and they all sold within a matter of hours.

I have a feeling the price on ebay is going to go up because of this.....

Anyone who buys this monitor on eBay must be feeling lucky...

These monitors have a high return rate, and your chance of getting a lemon is very high. From back-light problems to horrible color uniformity.

No worries....3 year warranty with Advanced Exchange, so we'll see...

Have they discontinued this monitor?

I picked up a couple some months ago when they were on sale for $200+shipping and I love them.

Have they discontinued this monitor?

I picked up a couple some months ago when they were on sale for $200+shipping and I love them.

I highly doubt it. I just placed an order 2 days ago. Hard to believe they discontinued them and are still allowing orders to be made?

How do you order one? The monitor is not even listed on their website and when I chatted with an employee they told me that I could check back in 3-5 weeks.

See here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19283170/19514900.aspx?PageIndex=2

Discontinuation rumor looks true. :-( Confirmation by Dell tech.

I ordered my first one at the end of May (slickdeal!) and received it in early June. I knew I should have just ordered two then but I wanted to be sure I liked it. Of course I did, so in June I ordered another one (another slickdeal!), and I received it yesterday.

I was a little disappointed that the brightness varied significantly between the panels. Looking at the info printed on the units I see one was made in China in April and the other was made in Mexico in June, and the rev levels were different (A00 and A01, IIRC). After calibrating/profiling both with Spyder2Pro there was still a drastic brightness difference so I hand adjusted the brightness and contrast as close as I could get them and then profiled again. If I look at a color calibration chart on both screens at once I can notice very subtle differences... but they're pretty close and I guess I'm better off than if I hadn't got the second one at all before the discontinuation, even if it is slightly different (it also goes about .25" higher on the height adjustment).

That thread on the Dell forum is entertaining. A lot of people pissed about this. The Dell tech says if your 2209WA has to be warrantied you will receive an "equivalent or better" replacement. There is no such thing when talking about the 2209WA. It was the best. If one of mine ever breaks I will be pretty bummed out. Why must all products have such a short life span these days? They should seriously discontinue every other crappy TN based 22" display they have and focus all their power on getting the 2209WA back in business, there is no reason to have any other alternatives.

Of course, the U2410 (24" e-IPS) is now rumored. My guess is it will be $450+, and a new 22" e-IPS will come out soon at $350+. :-( OR... if Dell is being truthful about panel supply problems, hopefully e-IPS is not gone for good.

Received my monitors yesterday. They are calibrated by a spyder 3. These truly are amazing monitors.

I switched from a single Westinghouse 37 inch to dual Dell 2209WA monitors.

How well do your 2209WA's match up after profiling? Are they both the same Rev? You can tell by pulling out the little plastic tab behind the side USB ports (I didn't even realize that was there for a long time). See my post above... one of mine was made in April in China and the other in June in Mexico... different Rev's and substantial different brightness. After messing with brightness/contrast by hand and profiling a few times, I've got them pretty damn close, but there are still some subtle differences I can notice. Sort of disappointing because I have always dreamed of having two perfectly matched displays.

I'm pretty sure it's not discontinued. That forum post doesn't actually say anything. People have freaked out the same way every time they pull it from the site due to low stock.

But I guess we finally learned that the 'e' in eIPS stands for 'entry'.

How well do your 2209WA's match up after profiling? Are they both the same Rev? You can tell by pulling out the little plastic tab behind the side USB ports (I didn't even realize that was there for a long time). See my post above... one of mine was made in April in China and the other in June in Mexico... different Rev's and substantial different brightness. After messing with brightness/contrast by hand and profiling a few times, I've got them pretty damn close, but there are still some subtle differences I can notice. Sort of disappointing because I have always dreamed of having two perfectly matched displays.

I am at work now and can't check the tab but I will later. However, I can tell you that they look nearly identical before and after calibration. Also, the curves are very similar but not exact.

Actually, in that thread, some customers both tried the website and calling Dell, to which they got the answer, I'm sorry sir, that model has been discontinued. This could mean a few things: Business only sales, keeping old stock for replacements to warranties, three they are trying to get stocks back up by saying it has been discontinued.

Chris M on the Dell Community Forums gets his information straight from Dell, no one else. He works for them, hence his 28,000+ posts on the their forums. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

I am at work now and can't check the tab but I will later. However, I can tell you that they look nearly identical before and after calibration. Also, the curves are very similar but not exact.

Thanks! What do you mean by curves? I'm a calibration noob.

I remember when these monitors first went on sale, some posters claimed that these were initially made with a limited supply in mind. I think its was either here or on slickdeals. I think the reason was that they were originally made for some large corporation but they backed out of their order.

I remember when these monitors first went on sale, some posters claimed that these were initially made with a limited supply in mind. I think its was either here or on slickdeals. I think the reason was that they were originally made for some large corporation but they backed out of their order.

Lucky us. :)

See here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19283170/19514900.aspx?PageIndex=2

Discontinuation rumor looks true. :-( Confirmation by Dell tech.

Um and where in there does this Chris confirm thats its discontinued? Unless I missed it in that thread, the only thing Chris mentioned is that supply was low so they pulled it for now, and I quote:

* Nothing so machiavellian. The panel manufacturer cannot keep up with our demand for the entry IPS panel. We cannot sell what they cannot give us.

I don't take that to mean that its discontinued.

And I did place my order following the instructions someone posted above - did it on July 15th.

And if it ends up being discontinued - you can bet they are working on a replacement IPS monitor to take its place. Win - Win if you ask me. Either I get a 2209WA in September (3 to be exact) OR I get something better.

EDIT: Just checked out the macrumors forums where they are also discussing this, this is what the Dell Sales Exec who was able to place an order for me said:

Thank you so much for all of the referrals. I tried to help as many as I could but we received an email this afternoon stating that they want us to stop selling this monitor until we start getting more in stock so what I’ve done for some people is set up call backs for early to mid August to start calling about the availability of the monitors.

LINK: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8093317&postcount=272
Again, I doubt its discountinued.

Mine came today and so far it's among the worst monitors I've come across. Bright as could be with brightness set at 0 and contrast at 74; I've tried down to 50. Downloaded movies look washed out and everything else is just not that easily readable (MSI R4670 video card). I thought an IPS monitor would be a good replacement for my seven year old AG Neovo E-19A. That monitor is beautiful in monitor design and screen color but flickering more than a little when scrolling dark background websites. Several posts ago someone noted the difference between the ones assembled in China and Mexico in terms of brightness out of the box, and this is the latter. I called customer service and asked for a return number, but they sent me to tech support first, which is sending another today. However, after reading a few more reviews I suspect an outright return will the end result (e.g., see http://www.lcdreviewz.com/review_Dell_2209WA). That or one of the reviews says Dell designed this one so that the industry standard (or typical) brightness level is the minimum adjustment on this one. If so, not very bright. One thing that was strange was when the rep asked for the serial number on the back of the monitor and I said there isn't one; i.e., they never put a Dell model name/serial # label sticker on the thing; it's only on the box. Anyone ever heard of that with a monitor? In any case, maybe I got a bad one, or maybe the calibration is very far off, or both. I'm not real knowledgeable about calibration.

Last edited:
One thing that was strange was when the rep asked for the serial number on the back of the monitor and I said there isn't one; i.e., they never put a Dell model name/serial # label sticker on the thing; it's only on the box. Anyone ever heard of that with a monitor? In any case, maybe I got a bad one, or maybe the calibration is very far off, or both. I'm not real knowledgeable about calibration.

There is a slide out panel thing behind or beside the USB ports on the left side. The reps don't know enough about their products, they kept telling me there was one there also, and asking me for a service number. I came here and someone took a picture of the little slide out thing on the left.

Also sounds like yours is completely not calibrated right or just plain broken. I'd suggest using DisplayProfile.exe and or LUT Manager and load up 10e's profile.

Um and where in there does this Chris confirm thats its discontinued?

You're right, I jumped the gun on that one and the thread is not conclusive.

However, Chris does not deny the people in the same thread who seem sure it is discontinued. So it's not super promising either. But he's probably not keen on saying too much in either direction, whichever answer turns out to be true. He might not even know himself. In the end, the answer he's giving now will be truthful with either outcome. Let's hope for the best.

There is a slide out panel thing behind or beside the USB ports on the left side. The reps don't know enough about their products, they kept telling me there was one there also, and asking me for a service number. I came here and someone took a picture of the little slide out thing on the left.

Also sounds like yours is completely not calibrated right or just plain broken. I'd suggest using DisplayProfile.exe and or LUT Manager and load up 10e's profile.

Ditto on the slide-out panel.

And yeh, my Mexico panel is definitely brighter than my China panel, but not so bright I consider it horrible. I only dimmed it down to make it match the China panel as much as possible. I actually like bright panels, but maybe it was too much. The China panel seemed super bright when I first got it, but now I'm used to it, and when I put the Mexico panel next to it, the China panel looked dim in comparison!

I still wish I could get these a little closer to each other. Some very subtle differences in certain shades of blue, grey, and flesh tones.

Thanks. Couldn't find DisplayProfile.exe but LUT Mgr worked well and 10e's profile makes a big difference. Still too bright, tho. Some web screens and snow in video look washed out. Have to wait until after dark to see further.

Btw, the general principle, as explained in that LCD Review Zone article, is that monitor brightness is best for human eyes when matched to that of the room (within limits). The norm for a well-lit office is 120 cd/m2. In a relatively darker room - I don't like office lighting at work or home - the user has to go lower; even more so after dark (they say movies in the pitch dark run at 50-72 cd/m2). But Dell in their brilliance designed this monitor so that the 120 cd/m2 level is the minimum (Brightness=0). There's only so much one can do with contrast and color calibration to get around that.

Last edited:
Just hooked mine up. Can't detect any issues with humming, dead pixels or any of the other complaints. I booted up mirrors edge and it looked really good. Then I tried Mines of Moria (something dark) and it looked pretty bad. The screen looked like a wash with all the colors drowned out :( I turned my brightness down to 0 and left contrast at 75. Kinda bummed.

I went into my Nvidia control panel and took down the gamma and brightness a lot and it looks better. I'll have to mess with it later.

Back