Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Thanks! It helped flickering problem solved, but I noticed some vertical frequency issue also and it turned out that if I have other power supply cable (laptop or router) close to the monitor power supply cable, the picture get unstable, very weird. When I unplugged everything but the monitor power cord the picture is perfect. It seems the stock power cord is a crap. Now I have to plug in all the stuff far away or I need to find a better power cable to see if it was the problem really. I wounder why I never heard this problem on this forum. Is it only me?

Any thoughts?

I got mine yesterday and the uniformity is a beauty - coming from TN -. It surely has minor flaws but I do look for problems. Of course if it is obvious it needs to be investigated and might be RMAd. I have read lots of uniformity issues here but I guess at some degree it is there so if it doesn't stand out and you have to look for it you better forget about it. My "biggest" problem is apart from flickering is the text reproduction which could be better my 4 years old Toshiba laptop does it better, but it is due to the anti glare coating I am afraid. The Toshiba doesn't have it, it has the reflecting coating but it doesn't bother me at all. I wish the dell had the reflecting coating so it would be really ultra sharp...It effects only the texting everything else is very nice.

Last edited:
Every 2209wa I've had has a "color shifting" issue. The left side of my monitor is a pure white and gradually becomes a creamy yellow on the right side the screen. I notice this colol shift also affects the clarity. The left, whiter side is noticeably sharper.

Received my 2209WA around page 44 and it's still going strong with no problems what so ever, though now it's hard to look at other peoples monitors (makes me want to calibrate/fix them all).
Thanks again to all those here for the help and info, this monitor was a great purchase.
ps...(no one probably cares but...) this will be my last Dell purchase ever...I just found out that Dell is a mormon owned company so this will be my first and last Dell purchase.

Every 2209wa I've had has a "color shifting" issue. The left side of my monitor is a pure white and gradually becomes a creamy yellow on the right side the screen. I notice this colol shift also affects the clarity. The left, whiter side is noticeably sharper.

nothing like this on either of mine.

I just found out that Dell is a mormon owned company so this will be my first and last Dell purchase.

Why don't you go out and look up who owns every company you buy everything from. You'll be displeased.

Seriously, Mormons aren't the worst people out there. Maybe a little insane, but not overly malevolent at least.

does anyone know how to make certain colors on text less bright? The dark blue on texts for me is somewhat bright. How do i make it less bright so it is readable.

Um, Dell isn't a "Mormon owned" company seeing as how they've been a publicly traded company for eons. If you mean one of their former employees used to be Mormon, yeah, except employment laws don't allow discrimination against religion. If you mean some of their shareholders are Mormon, then lol. BTW, Michael Dell is Jewish. I guess if that's how you want to make purchase decisions, no one can stop you.

Um, Dell isn't a "Mormon owned" company seeing as how they've been a publicly traded company for eons. If you mean one of their former employees used to be Mormon, yeah, except employment laws don't allow discrimination against religion. If you mean some of their shareholders are Mormon, then lol. BTW, Michael Dell is Jewish. I guess if that's how you want to make purchase decisions, no one can stop you.

Yeah, who cares. No one knows who owns what any more and the breakdown could be 150 different religions/backgrounds/countries.

nothing like this on either of mine.

I have a 400 degree white point color shift with the left side being slightly colder than the right. So basically when I calibrate it's 200 degrees from the middle colder/bluer on the left, and warmer/redder on the right. No biggie and not easy to see or photograph.

Just got two 2209WA monitors delivered to me this morning. I've only unpacked one of them, A01 manufactured in August 2009 from China.

Color uniformity looks good, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. And I probably will not have time to look at both of them until this weekend since I need a new desk and all now.

Sigh, just missed out on this again, I really should be more diligent about checking the hotdeals forum. Oh well, should be on sale again soon I hope.

I just noticed with a VGA cable there's a buzzing sound, however with DVI there is none. If you have the buzzing sound with a DVI cable, then do say so, I'd be interested to find out just how many people complained about this when they were using VGA cable instead of DVI.

Man i;m having a hard time finding the service tag on my monitor, i don;t even think it exists? where can i find the service tag number for this monitor anyone know? i cant even initiate a live chat without it!

how clear is the text for you?

The computer's been running DBAN for a day now, as soon as that is done I'll let you know. I'm reduced down to a laptop and no desk because my previous desk shattered.

Just missed out? Was there a deal last night?

No, you just need to call in and try to get a deal.

Man i;m having a hard time finding the service tag on my monitor, i don;t even think it exists? where can i find the service tag number for this monitor anyone know? i cant even initiate a live chat without it!

There is no service tag, so you will be forced to call in. You'll need your order number, as well as the model and serial numbers found on a pull-out card behind the USB ports on the side of the monitor.

I really hate how difficult it can be when trying to get service on a monitor with Dell...if they did not make monitors as good as the 2209WA, I don't know if I would be willing to put up with the hassle of calling in.

What do you all say when you call in? I've been saying that this monitor was $208 two weeks ago and asking if I could get it at that price, but it never works.. (I hate to be annoying like that, but I'm just a dang college kid so $80 is a lot.)

Just bought the monitor. Worked great for a awhile. However, the screen flickers and images lag when playing movies or games. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah..don't know why Dell refuse to improve it's tech support/customer service for stand alone monitor purchases..
I have been buying Dell LCD ever since first generation 1900FP and always hate it when I have to call in for service..
I have a 2408wfp bought from Sam's Club and I want to register the warranty, been calling Dell for 2 days now and still going no where..

Just bought the monitor. Worked great for a awhile. However, the screen flickers and images lag when playing movies or games. Anyone else have this problem?

I've had mine since January and had none of this. Sounds like your's is probably an RMA to Dell.

Are you on DVI already? Seems some have flickering problems on VGA only.

Yeah..don't know why Dell refuse to improve it's tech support/customer service for stand alone monitor purchases..
I have been buying Dell LCD ever since first generation 1900FP and always hate it when I have to call in for service..
I have a 2408wfp bought from Sam's Club and I want to register the warranty, been calling Dell for 2 days now and still going no where..

Where I live you should ask the store for an "original order number" before you contact Dell no, that was wrong

(Call Dell on UK number and have the work number from the original packaging handy, request to speak to the Dell Warranty Monitor Line)

I have been using this monitor for over a month now, and I am fairly happy with its colour reproduction. There isn't any humming sound even if the brightness is set to zero. There is marginal colour shift towards the right side, for about 1 to 1.5 inches from the extreme right, but ignorable. The only thing I am unhappy with is
- the Grainy or Sparkling effect on movies (more prominent on HD movies), you have to watch from a distance to nullify the effect.

Has anyone else noticed this issue and is there a way to minimize it? Any help would be appreciated.

Again to reiterate what many people have told in this forum, its not the perfect monitor, but one of the best value for money in my opinion.

I have two of these and I have noticed recently a problem with both that I haven't seen anybody else comment on. Because of the portrait mode option, I can't seem to get the displays to sit perfectly level. Basically, they are clocked a degree or two (guessing) in the clockwise direction. The left side of the display sits a good 1/4" (actually measured) higher than the right side. This is true for both panels... even if I force it to a level position by putting a counter clockwise rotation on it, as soon as I let go it returns to its default "too far clockwise" position.

I have managed to fix this by pushing my two displays together until they are touching along the edges with a little force... this force, combined with the friction on the bottom with the table, causes them to stay upright. If I only had one though, this would not be possible.

Hey, so I finally ordered one, but I'm a little concerned about the uniformity issues I've been hearing about. Do you all think this screen going to be better than my laptop's (TN) uniformity? 'Cause I don't notice anything on my laptop screen, but then again I could be missing something major...

Hey, so I finally ordered one, but I'm a little concerned about the uniformity issues I've been hearing about. Do you all think this screen going to be better than my laptop's (TN) uniformity? 'Cause I don't notice anything on my laptop screen, but then again I could be missing something major...

Fill your screen with a rich purple color, on a TN the top and bottom will usually be quite different shades even if you are viewing it straight-on.

Just got my Dell 2209WA..

it blows away two of my Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2405FPW

shit...im sad

I have two of these and I have noticed recently a problem with both that I haven't seen anybody else comment on. Because of the portrait mode option, I can't seem to get the displays to sit perfectly level. Basically, they are clocked a degree or two (guessing) in the clockwise direction. The left side of the display sits a good 1/4" (actually measured) higher than the right side. This is true for both panels... even if I force it to a level position by putting a counter clockwise rotation on it, as soon as I let go it returns to its default "too far clockwise" position.

I have managed to fix this by pushing my two displays together until they are touching along the edges with a little force... this force, combined with the friction on the bottom with the table, causes them to stay upright. If I only had one though, this would not be possible.

Yep this is not unique. In my review I said that, and after about 6 months of use entirely in the portrait mode, it has not gotten any worse on either of my monitors.

Yep this is not unique. In my review I said that, and after about 6 months of use entirely in the portrait mode, it has not gotten any worse on either of my monitors.

Yeh, I wouldn't expect it to get better or worse with time or based on which way you use it. It's just the way the mechanism was built, it "zeros out" at the wrong place. Did you butt yours together the same way I did to force it to be fixed? Although, if you use yours permanently in portrait mode you might not need to. When in portrait mode are they level, or is there a small crookedness there too?

To add to the long list of "just got mine todays", I just got mine today. Very nice! Definitely an upgrade from my laptop screen lol.. My only minor gripes are that I thought the screen had something on it and tried to wipe it off, but it turned out to be the anti-glare coating, and I have one dead red subpixel. Do you all think it's worth swapping over that? Or is that just plain silly?

Edit: I looked up the policy and there is no return for 1 dead sub-pixel. But now I feel bad for asking, because I don't even notice it.. and I like Dell so I wouldn't want my OCD to be a pain for people ;)

Last edited:
nvm got 75hz, but didn't notice a difference, so i set it back.
The only way I think you'd see a significant difference between 75hz & 60hz is if you were playing a game with vertical sync on and your frame rate always stayed above your refresh rate (in this case, you'd need to stay above 75 fps). There might be ways other than gaming to see an improvement but I'm not aware of them.

To add to the long list of "just got mine todays", I just got mine today. Very nice! Definitely an upgrade from my laptop screen lol.. My only minor gripes are that I thought the screen had something on it and tried to wipe it off, but it turned out to be the anti-glare coating, and I have one dead red subpixel. Do you all think it's worth swapping over that? Or is that just plain silly?

Edit: I looked up the policy and there is no return for 1 dead sub-pixel. But now I feel bad for asking, because I don't even notice it.. and I like Dell so I wouldn't want my OCD to be a pain for people ;)

I have about 40 stuck pixels (red blue and green) but in normal viewing I just don't see them. It actually took me over 2 months to even realize this! They are all along the bottom, and the screen must be black, and my face must be very close to actually notice.

On my 720p 40" TV I have ONE stuck pixel which is more noticeable than all these put together, because the pixel itself is so much bigger.

Im getting mine on the 29th
Definitely psyched... i sold my E248WFP a few days ago, right now im on a SyncMaster 753DF ... can't wait to go IPS again :)

Just ordered a $200 Dell gift card on Fleabay for $160, so all that remains is to wait for another 2209WA deal. :)

Yeh, I wouldn't expect it to get better or worse with time or based on which way you use it. It's just the way the mechanism was built, it "zeros out" at the wrong place. Did you butt yours together the same way I did to force it to be fixed? Although, if you use yours permanently in portrait mode you might not need to. When in portrait mode are they level, or is there a small crookedness there too?

Yeah, it's like you said with it zeroing to the wrong spot.

Mine are not directly butted up to my center LCD, but are pretty close(within a few MM, I just don't like scratches on the bezels of them or the TV). There is a little crookedness. Here's a link to a post of mine with photos, LINK

Got this awesome monitor today! Prior to receiving it I had made a folder on my computer filled with recommended settings/profiles and such to get the most out of it. However, I actually think that the default settings (together with the provided drivers on CD) deliver the best results. Those profiles I tried resulted in, imho, quite a dull picture. With the current settings I get great results on the lagom.nl calibration test aswell so I'm happy :p

This is lovely. So I've been using one of my 2209WA monitors for a few days, that one has not been a problem. But the 2nd one, which I just pulled out of the box yesterday is flickering on-and-off occasionally. I've only caught it doing that maybe twice in 24 hours, but it is unacceptable.

I've had the 2209WA before and one of them died, so now I am really suspicious of this one. But maybe I'm seeing things...

Last edited:
I've got two black stuck pixels in the lower right hand corner.

Nothing else is wrong at all that I notice.

Worth getting a replacement over?

Back