Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

just got this from twitter....following the dell outlet.

5% off any refurb Dell monitor! Enter code at checkout: QLC8CXZDJ3D12V at http://bit.ly/apjvg - exp 9/23 or after 500 uses, whichever is 1st
about 2 hours ago from CoTweet

allen

I just got my 2209wa, and I don't think it's working :(

I unpacked it and it looks normal and everything. At first I had the DVI cable, and I plugged that in to my MBP 2.2GHz Santa Rosa I bought in summer 2007. When I turned on my comp, it detected the 2209wa and on my laptop I could see the different options in Displays in System Prefs and stuff, but the monitor remained completely blank and the power LED was blue.

I then took out the DVI cable and plugged in the VGA cable and used the adapter on my laptop to connect it, and the same thing. My comp is detecting the monitor and I can change the resolution, switch primary and secondary displayed, change the order of screens, but nothing is showing up on the external monitor, and the power LED remains blue.

Even if I unplug all the cables from the monitor, and i turn it on, the LED remains blue, it doesn't turn green and have the on screen display which is supposed to show up saying no cable detected.

Can anyone give me any clue? I hope I'm doing something wrong and my monitor isn't freaking broken :(

No matter what I do, nothing is showing up on the monitor at all, and the LED remains blue :(.

I am sorry, I tried to edit and add the above sentence to the previous post but accidentally double posted. Trying to figure out how to delete this post.

Update: I left it plugged in all night this morning, and when I got up this morning and turned it on it was working perfectly.

Last edited:
Just ordered a refurb 2209WA for $203.70 shipped (used the 5% off coupon posted above).

Edit: Order canceled. I didn't realize the refurb monitors only come w/ a 90-day warranty. Don't want to take any chances.

Last edited:
I'm ready to buy two of these, but I'm just waiting for a coupon to get it cheaper than $289.

I just ordered two of these at 20% off.

I just explained how there wasn't any stock during the previous promotion (not a lie, there wasn't any available for Canada), and I had no problems getting the discount.

Go through the Live Chat and see if you can't talk them down a little. It never hurts to ask :p

I just received two of these and they were both horribly cracked! As if someone were using them as targets to practice their baseball pitching skills! Needless to say I was pretty unhappy about it, but Dell is shipping me two more. Hopefully they will not have the same issues.

Can anyone give me a hand to get 75hz ? I tried using PowerStrip with the custom timings but CCC (im using a 4870 now) shows 1680x1050 @ 60hz... but PS shows this

Last edited:
Brownstone,

Just hit the menu button on the display when you activate these settings. It should show you the resolution and refresh rate.

I have used Power Strip with my 4890 in the past to get this screen to 76hz, so it does work, but I would "unclick" the "real time adjustment" button unless you have another display that you can use to check the settings, ie. in case the 2209WA goes blank and you can't see anything on it after adjusting.

Looking at how awesome this eIPS performs I am wonderring if Dell will release a bigger 23' brother?
How come nobody else is utilizing the eIPS panels but Dell?

Yes, it's safe to say that. They have IPS listed on their website and I don't think anyone's received one that didn't seem to be IPS.

Just got my 2209wa. The screen's color goes from white on the left to yellow-tinted on the right in a gradient fashion. Even in this little message box I can notice it. I wasn't even "looking for problems", just noticed it when I full-screened Firefox and the search box was yellow.

Hi all!
Read most of this thread before ordering a 2209WA. Seems the comments here were spot on!

It's a great display for the price (around £200 here in the UK), and even greater after adjusting the gamma curve in nvidia's control panel (R, G and B tracks very well so all could be adjusted together).

My only concern is that the backlight can take 20-30 minutes to get up to maximum brightness after having been off for the night. I noticed this since I use my old display (Samsung 226BW) in a dual headed setup, and that one quickly warms up the backlight.

Before going to bed both displays have matching brightness. In the morning the Dell takes 20 minutes or more before the brightness reaches the Samsung's.

I can live with this, but wonder is my display could be falty?

Any thoughts?

Hi all!
Read most of this thread before ordering a 2209WA. Seems the comments here were spot on!

It's a great display for the price (around £200 here in the UK), and even greater after adjusting the gamma curve in nvidia's control panel (R, G and B tracks very well so all could be adjusted together).

My only concern is that the backlight can take 20-30 minutes to get up to maximum brightness after having been off for the night. I noticed this since I use my old display (Samsung 226BW) in a dual headed setup, and that one quickly warms up the backlight.

Before going to bed both displays have matching brightness. In the morning the Dell takes 20 minutes or more before the brightness reaches the Samsung's.

I can live with this, but wonder is my display could be falty?

Any thoughts?

If I've got one of my monitors turned off (when, say, I'm watching a movie on just one display), when turned back on, both monitors are at approximately the same brightness level within about five minutes or less. Not a big deal to me at all.

If I've got one of my monitors turned off (when, say, I'm watching a movie on just one display), when turned back on, both monitors are at approximately the same brightness level within about five minutes or less. Not a big deal to me at all.

ok, what brightness level would that be?
I measured the 20-30 minutes for the display trying to reach the lowest setting (0). It may possibly take longer for that to happen (compared to for example 100) as less heat is generated at that setting.
5 minutes sounds fine, but 30 is a bit long!

Looking at how awesome this eIPS performs I am wonderring if Dell will release a bigger 23' brother?
How come nobody else is utilizing the eIPS panels but Dell?

They've already released a 24'' model, so no, they won't be doing 23'' any time soon.

ok, what brightness level would that be?
I measured the 20-30 minutes for the display trying to reach the lowest setting (0). It may possibly take longer for that to happen (compared to for example 100) as less heat is generated at that setting.
5 minutes sounds fine, but 30 is a bit long!

I would agree with this. The brighter it is set at, the faster it seems to reach a consistent brightness. I'm using mine at around 23 brightness and it seems to get to brightness stability faster than when I had it at 5 brightness. I found this the same with my Dell 2709W too.

Is it possible to use game mode without the colors being affected? Standard mode looks perfect in games but I can definitely feel the increased input lag over game mode, like going from a wired to wireless mouse.

Is it possible to use game mode without the colors being affected? Standard mode looks perfect in games but I can definitely feel the increased input lag over game mode, like going from a wired to wireless mouse.

I don't believe there is any difference in input lag. I think the modes are only various more or less weird colour profiles. The 2209WA don't have any demanding colour space conversion going on like the U2410, so I don't think there is any lag-introducing processing to switch off. (The native sRGB of the 2209 was the deciding factor why I didn't spend the extra and go for the U2410.)

BTW, I find gaming (flight sim dogfighting) better on the 2209WA than the Samsung 226BW.

I don't believe there is any difference in input lag. I think the modes are only various more or less weird colour profiles. The 2209WA don't have any demanding colour space conversion going on like the U2410, so I don't think there is any lag-introducing processing to switch off. (The native sRGB of the 2209 was the deciding factor why I didn't spend the extra and go for the U2410.)

BTW, I find gaming (flight sim dogfighting) better on the 2209WA than the Samsung 226BW.
What about this? http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm (scroll down a bit for input lag benchmarks).

Finally managed to get it properly calibrated. Hope it works out for you

http://cid-9c09d09ec80b78d1.skydriv...Hosting/2209WA Color Profile and Settings.zip

Thanks for sharing. My monitor is going to arrive tomorrow and I am a complete newbie. I have never calibrated before and have used only TN laptop screens up to now. My laptop has only VGA output so I am taking my chances and hoping that tomorrow the monitor & video card will work OK with VGA.

1. As soon as I get the monitor, I'll set it to what you have.
2. You have sharpness 50 whereas I've read 40 is better. I suppose you are adjusting for the VGA?
3. Will your settings work as optimally for my different set up i.e. different laptop / GPU as they did for you?
4. If not, can you suggest a simple & free software to get me in the right track?
5. I'm assuming that VGA to VGA is the best way to connect my laptop and PC. No digital / analog conversions. Is that better or should I try VGA to DVI-D? Which would produce best results? One thing I hope to get out of this monitor is easy to read, clear text. I know I can't blame the monitor if I am using inferior connections but its just a try.

Thanks again for the profile!

Is there a way to set it to 75hz with an ATI card? Most sources use nvidia cards.

Also I did set it to 75hz on my nvidia machine, but then my games no longer detected 1680x1050 as a usable resolution. That's fine for steam games as you can set custom resolutions by the console, but most other games don't.

Got mine!

No green/pink tint, no dead pixels. There's a smidgeon of a white glow in the bottom left corner and the bottom corners look a bit darker than the rest of the screen, as does the rightmost edge, but overall it seems nice. I don't have anything to calibrate it with except perhaps MCW; the gamma is off (as expected), but it's not bad at all.

Off I go to read this thread and find some numbers that worked for different people.

Is there a way to set it to 75hz with an ATI card? Most sources use nvidia cards.

Also I did set it to 75hz on my nvidia machine, but then my games no longer detected 1680x1050 as a usable resolution. That's fine for steam games as you can set custom resolutions by the console, but most other games don't.

You need powerstrip. You can download and use it for free from www.entechtaiwan.com. This is the only program that worked for me on my 2209WA and 48xx/58xx cards.

Off I go to read this thread and find some numbers that worked for different people.
That's a waste of time. Each panel is different, and there's no substitute for a true calibration.

Do you at least have a movie with THX calibration menus?

10e, are your RGB settings "up" or "down"? I've set them all to "down".

Many thanks for your profile - it fits my monitor almost perfectly! The LUT Manager page is down, but I managed to find a version from 2007 somewhere. The Lagom gamma test is closer to 2.3 with your profile, though, but since the default was around 1.8 and colours were off, this is a massive improvement.

BTW, do you think that the corners might brighten-up a little after some time? It's not a huge difference and I'll quickly get used to it.

That's a waste of time. Each panel is different, and there's no substitute for a true calibration.
Do you at least have a movie with THX calibration menus?
I paid 320€ ($460) for this monitor, so buying a calibrator and adding 2/3 of that sum to the total is out of the question.

I don't watch movies. I have a CRT TV for that :p

I bought a used Spyder 2 for 40 bucks and use the Spyder 3 software with it.

But hey, it's your prerogative to buy an IPS and leave it looking like a crappy TN.

Last edited:
Which part of "2/3 of that sum" don't you understand?

A basic calibrator costs $300 here.

If you bought a used one from the US and had it shipped, you could still get away WELL under $100. Lose the attitude, cochise.

10e, are your RGB settings "up" or "down"? I've set them all to "down".

Many thanks for your profile - it fits my monitor almost perfectly! The LUT Manager page is down, but I managed to find a version from 2007 somewhere. The Lagom gamma test is closer to 2.3 with your profile, though, but since the default was around 1.8 and colours were off, this is a massive improvement.

BTW, do you think that the corners might brighten-up a little after some time? It's not a huge difference and I'll quickly get used to it.

I believe they were all upper (top) of the number, but either way I don't think it made much of a difference for color temperature of white. Glad it helped. At that contrast level the screen is much closer to 2.0 so midtones should be better now. Not sure about the darkened corners. Mine only has a 400 degree color temp. difference with the left being colder, and that hasn't changed since I bought it. I would say you likely won't see any change in that attribute over time, but you can always experiment with brightness and see what happens. Maybe there is a different brightness setting that makes it less obvious.

Back