Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

B: 0
C: 75

R: 97
G: 98
B: 100

It's individual... But 10e's profile helps a lot. I'm desperately trying to find someone with a calibrator, but nobody has one. I've even asked on a couple of forums, nothing. Not even a friend who works in DTP knows of anyone with a calibrator (!).

With my current CRT I find I have to set the brightness (well, contrast really I guess) quite low in order to stop getting headaches. Is it possible to set this monitor to <=100 cd/m2? Would doing this noticeably impact colour fidelity?

Really tempted to take the plunge on one of these but I don't want to have to pay to send it back just because it gives me eye strain.

No... It will go down to about 120-130 at zero brightness.

However, I find it acceptable. I also used a CRT and kept it *very* dim, so I fully expected the Dell to cause problems... It didn't.

I'm quite happy with mine. The only thing that bothers me a little is the bottom part of the screen being slightly darker (easiest to notice with a solid grey background), but as a replacement for my old CRT, it's good enough.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to suck it and see. :)

My only other concern is the discrepancies in reported input lag (seems to differ between virtually none to 30ms average) but that's hopefully just the vagaries of cloned displays.

I think that someone in this huge thread already proved that the monitor has 0 ms input lag. The discrepancies are caused by review sites not using a VGA splitter and connecting the monitor to the secondary output (which can lag by itself) and then cloning the primary to it (which introduces definite lag). Don't worry about that.

I think that someone in this huge thread already proved that the monitor has 0 ms input lag. The discrepancies are caused by review sites not using a VGA splitter and connecting the monitor to the secondary output (which can lag by itself) and then cloning the primary to it (which introduces definite lag). Don't worry about that.

I bought a VGA splitter, and am going to test it soon, maybe today or tomorrow against an old Trinitron CRT in VGA. ToastyX tested it with a DVI splitter in the past and the one who found zero input lag.

EDIT: He also used a VGA splitter here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034028590&postcount=1263

Sorry for the confusion.

It should work. I don't know why it wouldn't. Maybe the timings it chose for you aren't compatible.

Try these manual timings:

Horizontal front porch: 48
Active horizontal pixels: 1680
Horizontal total: 1840
Horizontal sync width: 32
Horizontal sync polarity: -

Vertical front porch: 3
Active vertical lines: 1050
Vertical total: 1087
Vertical sync width: 6
Vertical sync polarity: +

Then set the desired refresh rate to 75 Hz.

It will actually accept up to 76.647 Hz using those timings. Going any higher causes it to intermittently reject the resolution, so don't go above that. The monitor will report 77 Hz since it rounds up.

While you are getting a higher hz you lower something else? does the things you lower effect anything? (front porch and all that) does it make your screen less good in any way? anyone know? cause when i did that in powerstrip my screen got all black, i had to switch it off and on again to make it work again.can i destroy it somehow? :confused: please help!

Those are pretty standard timings actually. I lowered the blanking periods, which has no impact on image quality or performance. The blanking periods were originally designed for CRT monitors. LCD monitors don't need long blanking periods. It just wastes DVI bandwidth. Those values are pretty much the standard reduced blanking values except for the vertical back porch being 28 instead of 30. That was the only way I could get the monitor to accept 76 Hz.

I also found it will accept up to 76.725 Hz if I lower the horizontal front porch to 46. That's as high as I can get it to go.

Last edited:
is there a separate thread anywhere that explains what this is that you all are talking about, tweaking the Dell Service Menu?

It's not a service menu. It's adding a custom resolution for your video card.

The actual service menu doesn't have anything interesting.

It's not a service menu. It's adding a custom resolution for your video card.

The actual service menu doesn't have anything interesting.

My bad. Well, whatever it is you're speaking of, is there another thread or something somewhere that explains it?

Thanks! :)

My bad. Well, whatever it is you're speaking of, is there another thread or something somewhere that explains it?

Thanks! :)

Maybe. You can check the web site of your video card manufacturer, but these custom timings will not be there.

It's video card specific. It's something you can do in nVidia Control Panel in Windows Xp/Vista/7. For ATI video cards you need a program called Powerstrip that can be downloaded from EntechTaiwan.com to set custom resolutions/refresh rates. It's free.

With my current CRT I find I have to set the brightness (well, contrast really I guess) quite low in order to stop getting headaches. Is it possible to set this monitor to <=100 cd/m2? Would doing this noticeably impact colour fidelity?

Really tempted to take the plunge on one of these but I don't want to have to pay to send it back just because it gives me eye strain.

If you change the contrast down to 50 you can go around 80 cdm/2 for whites. Mine did even when new. Additionally 50 contrast actually has proper 2.2 gamma without need of a profile, so the color is better without adjustment at that setting too.

Is anyone else getting text blur when scrolling down or side-to-side on a screen full of text?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD3MUMeCxSo

Is this the first LCD you've ever tried? I'm not being facetious, just asking, because some text, or general blurring during movement/scrolling is a typical characteristic of LCDs.

Yea, and I also contacted some of the US sales rep posted here, and they still offer 212$+tax.

While in Canada, ZIP. They won't budge from 370$. And ofc the US sales won't ship to Canada. Outrageous. Do they know the dollar ratio is 0.95?

Does ANYONE knows any Canada sales rep who can lower the price just like the ones in US?

I'm actually thinking of shipping one to one of my friends in US and I go and pick it up. Only problem with that would be warranty? What happens if the monitor gets defective, dead pixel, etc...? Can I send it to Canada dell, or do I have to go back in US?

Those are pretty standard timings actually. I lowered the blanking periods, which has no impact on image quality or performance. The blanking periods were originally designed for CRT monitors. LCD monitors don't need long blanking periods. It just wastes DVI bandwidth. Those values are pretty much the standard reduced blanking values except for the vertical back porch being 28 instead of 30. That was the only way I could get the monitor to accept 76 Hz.

I also found it will accept up to 76.725 Hz if I lower the horizontal front porch to 46. That's as high as I can get it to go.

ty for replying toastyx!! sry if im bad at this, but "timings". is that the so called reponse time that you lower to be able to get a better refresh rate? My screen starts flicker a lot when i set the settings to low. I manage to get the refresh rate to 72. and when i lower front porch and sync width i have to raise the back porch a lot. i have NO idea what im doing. i dont want to destroy anything, the screen or the video card. the refresh rate goes up, but at the cost of what...?

that is a steal of a deal.
I waited MONTHS for it to go to $299 and now this? I feel cheated. :(

Well this is crazy 1 day sale at Dell, not like you can predict this one. This will likely be the only time it is this low this year.

But yeah it is a very good deal. If it had DisplayPort, I would buy one for a second monitor.

I am planning on getting an ATI card with three outputs and the third needs to be DP.

Right now I have my NEC, My Samsung HDTV hooked up and occasionally I connect up my old 17" TN panel, but I have to physically move the DVI from my HDTV to my second LCD every time I want to use it. So I really want 3 outputs (and new second monitor with DisplayPort).

I must say after not using my TN for a while. I have become spoiled with my IPS NEC. My TN just seems so shifty now....

I sent an email to destinee allen to get the 212+tax price quote and she responded with that quote, but when I got the call from the dell representative it was from someone else and he only offered me $236+tax and said the $212 price was old and not available. Was I supposed to fight this or has the offer really been that old?

Hey guys, I haven't been keeping up with this thread to know what people really think of this monitor, so would someone be able to give me a quick list of pros/cons of this monitor? I've really been wanting a 24 inch version of this for a while, but it doesn't seem like any is going to come out soon (or does someone know something I don't know?), so I'm thinking about getting this one. I would mainly use this for watching a show/movie here and there, gaming, word processing and whatever other work. I guess I'd be using this for pretty much anything. :p I've heard already that the colours are great, but how is the response time and input lag? Thanks in advance!

I sent an email to destinee allen to get the 212+tax price quote and she responded with that quote, but when I got the call from the dell representative it was from someone else and he only offered me $236+tax and said the $212 price was old and not available. Was I supposed to fight this or has the offer really been that old?

Just do your deal over e-mail or call her extension directly at (800) 571-3355, x9460559. Keith also called me a bit later and offered me the same $212 quote as well.

Hey guys, I haven't been keeping up with this thread to know what people really think of this monitor, so would someone be able to give me a quick list of pros/cons of this monitor? I've really been wanting a 24 inch version of this for a while, but it doesn't seem like any is going to come out soon (or does someone know something I don't know?), so I'm thinking about getting this one. I would mainly use this for watching a show/movie here and there, gaming, word processing and whatever other work. I guess I'd be using this for pretty much anything. :p I've heard already that the colours are great, but how is the response time and input lag? Thanks in advance!

im using it like you would prob. playing fps games and watching movies. the colors are just super and i dont notice any input lag. ive manage to get it in 75 hz. buy it! i have only used a crt before, never a tn.
i wonder if i should have bought a glossy instead...but thats anther issue :D

How is it in a dim/not lighted room? Is the screen too bright for reading then?

Doubt it. Mine is able to go to 80 cdm/2 with contrast at 50 and brightness at 0/zero and that is pretty dark. Even with contrast at default of 75, brightness at zero is less than 120 cdm/2. Both are pretty low values, and I don't perceive any flicker whatsoever at these low brightness modes, which I've seen with other screens.

Just do your deal over e-mail or call her extension directly at (800) 571-3355, x9460559. Keith also called me a bit later and offered me the same $212 quote as well.

Just got off the phone w/ Destinee, $212 + tax = $228.43

Awesome deal!!!! Thanks for her contact information.

She said she had to get approval from the "higher ups", but instantly knew what I wanted as soon as I called in and asked for a LCD. :D

I just picked up (2) 2209WA shipped to California. My total was $497 including tax + recycle garbage (Free shipping).

These arent' my first Dell IPS monitors (I own a LP2475W), what problems plague this specific model that I should be looking for when they arrive. I'll be using both a a Dual SpaceArm Mount for the two :)

I just picked up (2) 2209WA shipped to California. My total was $497 including tax + recycle garbage (Free shipping).

These arent' my first Dell IPS monitors (I own a LP2475W), what problems plague this specific model that I should be looking for when they arrive. I'll be using both a a Dual SpaceArm Mount for the two :)

I recommend not looking for problems if you already bought it :p

Not that I know of any major problems for this monitor anyway, but if you can't see anything wrong with it, you'll enjoy it that much more right? :)

"Ignorance is bliss." :D

Yea don't go looking for problems unless your fully prepared to go through reshipping tons of times to get a perfect panel. TN panels use to be just great for me until I read about their issues now I only use IPS at a hefty cost increase. :( I figure if in regular use I can't spot any glaring issues then the panel is fine.

Is anyone able to enjoy 0 brightness setting and 75-76hz refresh without having the monitor make any noise?

Just got one and finished setting it up yesterday.

Wow is all I have to say. Especially for the price. I paid $375 for my 2005wfp a while back, so this seems like a steal to me.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about this thing? Seems the dream monitor if you don't mind the size.

Back