Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Ann Pelfrey returned my e-mail today that I sent her last week about a purchase. She confirmed that she could send me two 2209WA's with free shipping for $212 each. However, in order to make a quote for the order, she needs to create an account for me. Problem is, she wants my business information but I don't own or run a business:

Yes I can match that price for you. I will need to have an account for you pulled up in order to make a quote for this. Please send me your business information if you have any so I can create an account or search for an already existing one. Thank you!

In any case, will me not having any business information not allow me to make my purchase, or do I need to make something up?

That's weird. Probably just means an address maybe? When Christa asked for my info, i just gave her my usual address, which happened to be an obvious apartment address.

Bought the 2209 from Christa in Nov.
I was wondering if anyone has found similar deep discounts for Dell desktops.
Am interested in configuring and buying an XPS 9000, but can't seem to find any similar back door deals.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ann Pelfrey returned my e-mail today that I sent her last week about a purchase. She confirmed that she could send me two 2209WA's with free shipping for $212 each. However, in order to make a quote for the order, she needs to create an account for me. Problem is, she wants my business information but I don't own or run a business:

In any case, will me not having any business information not allow me to make my purchase, or do I need to make something up?

Just call Christa, I put her phone number up on the last page.

Christa's direct phone number is (512) 946-0448

Now that DP adapter needs to get here... (tomorrow)
I think I'll work on some cable management until then.
IMG_0289-1.jpg

How is white glow on a 100% black background? Does it disappear when you look it from like 1m? And does it show badly in games with dark areas?

Last edited:
picked up one of these for my mom (i'm stealing the 20wmgx2 back from her)

How is white glow on a 100% black background? Does it disappear when you look it from like 1m? And does it show badly in games with dark areas?

No; you will not see white glow if you are more than 1 foot = .3 meters away

Dave

I am close to 2 feet away from mine and I still see it in the lower corners. About 2 and a half feet until it disappears.

No; you will not see white glow if you are more than 1 foot = .3 meters away

Dave

I am close to 2 feet away from mine and I still see it in the lower corners. About 2 and a half feet until it disappears.
Thanks. Even if its 2,5ft it will be a gigantic leap forward from this backlight bleed infested Samsung 2233RZ.

How does the 75Hz work, is it true 75Hz? And does the monitor produce a squeaky sound at 75Hz as I read somewhere?

Re: Canadians and $212?

I was able to pick 2 up at $220 each w/ free shipping during one of Dell's sales. I have been keeping an eye out to pick up a third but the lowest so far has been $270. I'm sure if one was really inclined, calling in would be best.

Yep. Christa is giving me the price of $219+ tax now as well. Ordering 2 more to replace the generic screen and the NEC 20wmgx2 for my Eyefinity.

picked up one of these for my mom (i'm stealing the 20wmgx2 back from her)

That's a tough call. I've got the 20wmgx2 as well (mine only had 15 hours on it when I bought it 2 months ago).

I prefer the picture quality on the 20wmgx2, but I do not like the gloss finish. Also, the protruding button bar kills the possibility of using them in portrait for Eyefinity.

Since the 2209wa swivels to portrait, has better blacks, and I cannot purchase 2 more 20wmgx2's, I'm going to replace the 20wmgx2 in my eyefinity setup with the 2209wa.

Now I need to sell it.

I guess I got lucky on my first one; it has no uneven backlight bleeding. That looks pretty bad abarsami.

I finally setup 75Hz on my panels, actually just hit a random page in the thread and found toastyX 's post

Using windows 7 x64 and powerstrip, followed this (googled guide)

http://www.ramelectronics.net/powerstrip.ep

to set up a custom resolution.

Interestingly enough I can't set 75Hz on one of my panels. I have 4x2209was, 3 vertical and one landscape for games, with 4770 crossfire.

Its not a big deal as I just game on the single panel, but for whatever reason powerstrip won't let me change the timings on one panel, which it reads as

4. ATI Radeon HD 4770-2-2 and has the advanced timing options blanked off

even trying to set the saved 75Hz profile to that panel doesnt work. Maybe its a crossfire / number of panels thing

Anyway, many thanks for the old headsup, I'll use it for gaming

I'm not that knowledgeable in the monitor and display world, but I got a 2209WA a couple days ago and should I set the refresh rate to 75 hz?

Naw don't think so, after the intial geek thrill, I didn't notice anything different myself playing MW2, and powerstrip is a pain. I uninstalled powerstrip and am back to 60Hz. maybe use someday if a game needs it. I also had problems getting more than one screen @75Hz with crossfire enabled.

What is important is setting up the display correctly, out of the box it comes too bright.

I use settings which were posted by the user 10e months ago. (well 99% same)
I have 4 panels and they all look alike with these settings.

First off my main use is normal computing, but never chnage these settings, even when gaming or watching a movie.

Brightness = 4 out of 100
Contrast = 74 out of 100
Input: DVI-D
Color Settings: RGB / Graphics / Standard*

Dynamic contrast: ON

everything else default

*some users tweak the individual colours, I'm happy as they are, as not that picky

How does the LG W2220P compare to this monitor? It's supposed to be a newer version of the same panel, would it be a better buy than the 2209WA?

How does the LG W2220P compare to this monitor? It's supposed to be a newer version of the same panel, would it be a better buy than the 2209WA?
It's way uglier than the 2209, which would stop me before I ever made it to the panel-comparing stage.

I have had my 2209WA for around a week, tweaked the settings posted here and I am loving it. I went from an Acer X223Wbd with horrible back lighting, not to mention the horrible stand.

yeah they are great ;)

I spend a lot of time in front of the screens with work and stock trading and never get eye strain. I use a lot of white and light background in apps and I couldnt do that with my old TNs, because of the viewing angles for one thing

I have had my 2209WA for around a week, tweaked the settings posted here and I am loving it. I went from an Acer X223Wbd with horrible back lighting, not to mention the horrible stand.

You don't have backlight problems on your 2209WA like the one who posted on previous page?

You don't have backlight problems on your 2209WA like the one who posted on previous page?

I have very, very minor in the bottom right but it is negligible. With my Acer, when I watched movies I could see the backlight in a rectangle.

when I got mine, at the 'out of the box' settings, I noticed the panel trait with a difference in whites from left to right, very slight, but noticeable if for instance, you have a white document spanning 2 LCDs in landscape mode. Mine are triple portrait and one landscape so can't see it any more :D

maybe try the less bright settings to see if it attenuates, if its (backlight) bugging you? hope it works out for you

Just a quick note to Canadians...Dell has it on sale for $229 till Feb 26 and std free ground shipping. But it says limit 1 and 1-2weeks before shipping.

5 days ago I ordered the 2209WA for my mother to use at home, and it arrived today.

I finished examining it an hour ago. The lower-right corner has slightly more backlight bleed than elsewhere, but it's not that bad. More importantly however, the top and bottom edges of the screen have a yellow tint, which looks dirty on white backgrounds. This yellow "smudge" is especially obvious along the bottom edge, extending about 1.5 cm up from the bezel.

Realistically, should I expect this monitor to be able to produce a uniform white background? (My sister's Samsung 215TW is temporarily right beside this one, and it has a clean, uniform image, but I know that's an unfair comparison)

5 days ago I ordered the 2209WA for my mother to use at home, and it arrived today.

I finished examining it an hour ago. The lower-right corner has slightly more backlight bleed than elsewhere, but it's not that bad. More importantly however, the top and bottom edges of the screen have a yellow tint, which looks dirty on white backgrounds. This yellow "smudge" is especially obvious along the bottom edge, extending about 1.5 cm up from the bezel.

Realistically, should I expect this monitor to be able to produce a uniform white background? (My sister's Samsung 215TW is temporarily right beside this one, and it has a clean, uniform image, but I know that's an unfair comparison)

Yes, yes you should expect a uniform background. If it bothers your mother exchange it until you get a good one.

Thanks. Yeah, the yellow edges bother her, so we'll try our luck once again. Not to mention that Dell Canada just dropped the price $140 lower than what I paid five days ago, so all the more incentive to act.

Anybody here upgrade from a PVA? Are you giving up much in the contrast? That's probably what I like most about my PVA but have never seen an IPS before.

Back