Just picked up RAGE on the Steam Sale, and...

I don't believe you've ever played Fallout: New Vegas.

"Invisible walls" aren't an engine limitation, by the way. Some of the very first quasi-3D game engines didn't have invisible walls, and some of the most modern games on the most modern engines do. It's a development decision.

Except for the steepest mountains you could end up almost anywhere. I remember getting into Skyrim dungeons by the back way by scaling cliffs.

Thankfully, I got RAGE for free, along with Skyrim (Bethesda Insider's Club). I have yet to install RAGE, but have had a blast with Skyrim! ;)

I don't believe you've ever played Fallout: New Vegas.

"Invisible walls" aren't an engine limitation, by the way. Some of the very first quasi-3D game engines didn't have invisible walls, and some of the most modern games on the most modern engines do. It's a development decision.

I have and I am not sure what you are talking about :confused:

I had ZERO issues with this game when it came out and I was playing with a 4870.

Why is config telling me I don't have enough cores for the texture detail setting, or do they mean GPU cores?
The internal transcode bench is giving me a 41. Is that low for my rig (sig)?

It said the same thing for me about the cores wtf? My transcode bench said I get like 98 the first time I ran it then said 100 every time after. The game probably prefers nVidia. I think I read something about CUDA helping the transcode.

Yeah I got the "too few cores" message too but the game doesn't seem to have any slowdown or anything, and the benchmark was really good. Not exactly sure what it was looking for.

I bought RAGE /retail/ for ~$3 months ago. Looked okay graphically, but it's not a very good game. The whole mega-texture thing seems, at least for this desert-ridden game, to be a solution looking for a problem. So your artists can go in and hand-paint all the rocks in the desert? Ok. Great. It's still a fucking desert.

It said the same thing for me about the cores wtf? My transcode bench said I get like 98 the first time I ran it then said 100 every time after. The game probably prefers nVidia. I think I read something about CUDA helping the transcode.

For sure it prefers nVidia. CUDA aside, it is OpenGL. AMD has never had great OpenGL drivers. They work, but they are slower than their DriectX drivers. Just how it has been for a long time. nVidia has equal speed DX and OGL drivers. So Rage runs better on nVidia cards.

Same shit with Brink. Other problems aside (and there were many) it ran rather poorly on my 5870 I had at the time, despite that running everything else great. Reason again is an iDTech engine using OpenGL.

It really annoys me and strikes me as laziness given that they now have a DX version of iDTech, the version that runs on the 360. They really should move their PC version over to DX, given that it works better on AMD cards.

It's a great game IMO. The storyline isn't anything groundbreaking, but the gameplay and combat mechanics are fantastic (especially if you have a 360 controller). I had a lot of fun with it.

23844350.jpg

As lame as it is...just disable one of your nvidia cards in device manager then transcoding option is accessible in-game video options...with 680's SLI I got transcoding benchmark in the 80's with transcoding off....with one 680 disabled and transcoding on benchmark goes to over 200...basically you lose nothing since Rage does not utilize SLI anyway.

Maybe Rage is just before its time...lol, being generous...but once your past this annoying huge issue it is a nice little desert romp.

Maybe Rage is just before its time...lol,

No, it is just a poorly designed engine. Unfortunately iD seems to focus too much on what they think is cool program wise and not enough on what works well in implementation terms.

That's something I have to give Digital Illusions with the Frostbite engine, the thing is impressive. Not only does it look good but damn it runs well.

Another thing I am noticing that I forgot to mention, is that audio will often cut off during dialogue, and during longer dialog sequences the animation sync will get off (like the audio will play before the character "says" it). Haven't really found any info about that yet...any ideas?

Pure laziness. Theres any number of things you can do to make an impassible area. Walls, wreckage, poison swamp, a fucking locked door.

"oh we didn't have time to finish that" Fuck you don't put out an unfinished game. Doing that makes the dev a lying, lazy, cheat.

Do you know what publishers are?

Does this work on ATI cards at all? I get 60 fps at all times but every 30 secs it pauses for 5 secs. Sometimes it does the pause every 5 secs. I'm trying my best to ignore the pop in; so hard not to Rage [H] when I see it though.

Do you know what publishers are?

Rage was in development for a LONG time. It was first announced and shown as a tech demo in July of 2007 (and was of course in development before that). You don't get to whine about "Oh we didn't have enough time" when you had over 4 years (most games are done in 1.5-2 years).

The whole mega-texture thing seems, at least for this desert-ridden game, to be a solution looking for a problem. So your artists can go in and hand-paint all the rocks in the desert? Ok. Great. It's still a fucking desert.

It is a solution looking for a problem period, and in fact a problem in and of itself. So the interest in procedural generation isn't just one for memory/hardware reasons, it is one of money and time. Even if I could design an engine where artists could any paint every pixel of ever rock in the world, that wouldn't be done. The reason is it would cost WAY too much and take WAY too long. Games already cost a shit ton to develop.

Hence item reuse, instantiation, and procedural generation are very much of interest. Rather than have an artist do everything by hand, they give parameters to the computer and get things generated quickly. That's the brilliance behind something like Speedtree (which is used in tons of games). You can't have an artist design you 10,000 unique trees. However they can give Speedtree instructions and it will generate a bunch of unique trees on the fly.

That is the thing most engines are focusing on is ways that things can be efficiently reused and generated. That allows for a much larger and more detailed world over all because you can do more with the same amount of man hours. None of that precludes important items/objects from having a bunch of hand-done work to them, it just makes things overall faster and thus better.

I was skimming this thread quickly and forgive me if I missed it but I saw it nowhere mentioned in here; turn down your AA. Don't go above 4x or 2x if you don't have a ton of ram. While this won't get rid of all texture pop-in it helps quite a lot since the textures need the ram to display quicker. There was a huge readme.txt with the v1.1 update explaining how the engine wants all your GPU ram to belong to it.

Rage is an alright game, just started playing it over again after a Windows reinstall ate my saved games. I'll try that tweaker link as those guys did a good job with Skyrim.

Oh yeah you cannot get rid of the pop in altogether but you can limit it to only be noticeable if you spin around really fast

I was skimming this thread quickly and forgive me if I missed it but I saw it nowhere mentioned in here; turn down your AA. Don't go above 4x or 2x if you don't have a ton of ram. While this won't get rid of all texture pop-in it helps quite a lot since the textures need the ram to display quicker. There was a huge readme.txt with the v1.1 update explaining how the engine wants all your GPU ram to belong to it.

I'll give that a try...I think I am only using 4x at the most, though.

Back