Just purchased my first laptop! How did i do??

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Alright, i needed something under $900 and it was supposed to not simply give up when i am gaming lightly on the road. Battery life was a concern as well....turns out there's not that many options around and so yesterday i ordered the

Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-3195 for $829.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115828

Since i know not much about notebooks, i just want to know......did i do fairly well or was this a total grab in the toilet? Specs seem fairly decent for a laptop in that price class. Mind you, i don't mind the 14" screen size....

Thanks in advance

Wow, either no one knows this one or no one wants to laugh in my face and ridicule me for my choice.....

Fairly well. I have the older Timeline X (4810TZ - C2D with HD4330), and it's amoung one of the best laptops I ever had.

Moderately slim, and less of that "triangle/wedge shape" junk I have been seeing an many laptop designs.

I probably would have gone with MSI tbh but Acer is more respectable than other brands

The things that impressed me about this one was the slim profile, the videocard and the supposingly 8 hour battery life. Sounded fine to me compared to most other laptops i looked at.

I don't understand these threads.

Simple: It was ordered but not shipped. If there would've been 5 people right there in the first half hour telling me i did not do well at all, i could've cancelled the order.

Just a heads up, the unit arrived today. Apart from the usual bloatware crap, which went right down the uninstaller, this machine is truely a gem. The brushed aluminum looks decent, the laptop is VERY thin and light, the switchable graphics are awesome.

It's EXACTLY what i wanted from a lightweight, long battery life, ATI 5650 video laptop. Excellent all around i must say.

Could you let us know how long the battery lasts during general usage (wifi on)?

Also, i was thinking of buying this laptop with the possibility of swapping in a higher res screen from a dell studio 14z (1600x900). Any chance you could give me the dimensions of the screen and screen bezel (horiz, vert, diag of both the screen and the bezel, as well as bezel thickness)?

Battery lasted about 5-6 hours without any gaming but with some youtube and me playing around with the dedicated card switcher and some heavy harddrive activity....

Lenght of screen is 12.15in, including bezel is 13.25in, height is 7in, 9in with bezel. bezel top margin to screen is 0.75in, bottom is 1.3in, left and right is 0.55in.....

Screen diagonal is 13.75in without bezel, 16in with bezel. Bezel thickness is (and yes, i measured this one exactly!) 0.03125in (so 1/32 of an inch).

All of these measurements are only very approximate as i did it on the go and didn't really measure it to the "T"...

Thanks! Though it looks like the lid thickness is going to kill my plans,

Well, that's nice to purchase the laptop. But before purchase laptop you should aware about the following configurations:

(1) Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7
(2) At least one (1) USB port
(3) Wireless G network card
(4) CD-ROM drive (DVD-RW or CD-RW preferred)
(5) Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 or higher
(6) 3-year hardware warranty – remember, you may be using your laptop for 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week
(7) 1GB (or more) USB flash drive – for transferring/backing up your important data
(8) Laptop carrying case – offers more protection than a backpack

5-6 hours at what brightness level? I REALLY want to upgrade my pathetic netbook to this exact laptop but I'm having such a hard time justifying spending the money.

you did ok but this is what I got got $1080 back in March

dell stuido 15
Intel i5 520m
4GB ram
500GB 7200rpm drive
ATi 4570 (not a gamer on the laptop so I didn't care) with 512MB good enough to play older games that I enjoy
Intel Wireless N 6300 card
backlit keyboard (very nice)
9 cell battery
1080p display
Windows 7 Home
Slot Loading DVD drive
3 speaker sound (it may sound like a gimmick but compared to the normal tinny 2 speaker setup, it's a definate improvement)

external connectors
3x usb 1x firewire 1x HDMI 1x VGA 1x SD card slot
1x Cardbus slot 1x mic 2x headphone

Back