just set up my WC cooling, how are these temps?

I just set up my new watercooling rig. It was my first time, and i don't have a whole lot of room in my case, so i didn't go all out, i just bought the corsair cool kit. I set it all up, this is upgrading from an xp-120. My x2 4800 went from idling at 42-43 celsius, down to 36-38 celcius. Not bad eh? How are these temps going to be for some OC'ing?

More info please. My 3800 X-2 idled at 26c at 1.47 volts and 2.5 gig. Ran 35c under full load with two Folding at home clients running at 100% 24/7 and that was on an XP-90.

Your air temps seemed high and to be honest your water temps seem a bit high.

Give us some numbers, voltages etc to help you out.

stock voltage, stock speed. asus a8n sli premium mobo. 26c is seriously REALLY low compared to mine. You could have ratcheded that thing WAY up with those temps

Makave7i Tha Don said:
stock voltage, stock speed. asus a8n sli premium mobo. 26c is seriously REALLY low compared to mine. You could have ratcheded that thing WAY up with those temps

Temps and voltage scaling are never what they wish they were.

I do have a well vented case, super Lan Boy with dual 120mm fans at med speeds.

My 3800 Venice doesn't run much above those temps either. (sonata case)

I think I would check your thermal paste application first, just to be sure. You didn't mention what you are using, AS-5 is my personal choice.

Also make sure you have the current bios and you might even want to reach in a grab the base of your water block for the "finger" test, it shouldn't be much more then warm to the touch. Your temps just seem a tad high and I'd be looking for why.

yah, i always use AS-5. I think they seem to be right along the same lines as other people have been getting with the higher end socket 939 cpu's. I had an fx-55 before this cpu, and it too ran about 40c idle with an xp-120 and a 120mm fan, and i do have 5 80mm fans and a big 120mm fan on the radiator for my water cooling kit

Having many fans in a case won’t do you much good unless you have good flow pattern.

Either you are getting some really bad readings on your temps or something is really wrong.

My 3800 Venice is actually barely warm to the touch at idle and a laser thermometer confirms my readings are within 2c.

We didn’t discuss ambient room temps, that is always an issue. Mine are 24c at the moment and my 3800 Venice is 45c at 100% load and that is again on an XP-90 with a Thermal Take CAT-90 fan.

In my case water cooling only gave me about a 2 to 3c advantage over the XP-90.

Stuff to ponder

i just thought of something... saying WC Cooling is a bit redundant, like saying ATM Machine

OP: What kind of case are you using and what is your cooling setup (other than the wc)?

hot water heater... heh... people used to say that all the time when I worked the parts counter @ Sears... I would say "you heat your hot water??" :)

back OT - my cpu (non X2) idles @ 30c with my new WC setup... 36c full load! Having yours idle @ 36c with two cores seems pretty good... what are your load temps?

Back