Just switched to to tri sli gtx 280 from quad sli

If you had asked what card/s to get to run your current resolution, no one would have suggested Tri-SLI GTX280s.

Tri-SLI scales better than quad. Meaning you get less boost from the forth card than adding a third to a two card SLI setup.
The games will be smoother than your old GX2s, but those 280s won't break a sweat on a 22in monitor.

If you had asked what card/s to get to run your current resolution, no one would have suggested Tri-SLI GTX280s.

Tri-SLI scales better than quad. Meaning you get less boost from the forth card than adding a third to a two card SLI setup.
The games will be smoother than your old GX2s, but those 280s won't break a sweat on a 22in monitor.

QFT.

I know there are a lot of knuckleheads around here that are doing nothing be trolling GTX 280 owners, especially those who like you and me have gone the 3x SLI route but really, that 1680x1050 monitor is just going to hold you back. 1920x1200 in my opinion is the sweet spot still in that you can get benefit and run almost all current and probably near future games at maximum settings and still have extremely high frame rates. 2560x1600 would not allow you to that on a the most demanding games like Crysis and possibly AoC but overall is still probably the resolution you need to make the most of GTX 280 3x SLI.

Get a good 24” 1920x1200 and keep the brightness down if you are sensitive to light. Thing is I know you going to say that the 280’s are no faster than your GX2’s. You’ll be able to squeeze out some more image quality for sure but I do have to wonder what games were giving you problems with quad GX2’s at 1680x1050.

No matter what good luck with the cards and enjoy!

Just wait till the new round of games comes out. I cant wait to play Rage from Id or Doom 4 and not have to worry about wether or not my cards will handle it. I have 3 280's and I wont be scrambling to upgrade them to play these games (like some will) and neither will the OP. So yeah, it does make sense.

your right dude...thats whats it all about. i as well cant wait.

your right dude...thats whats it all about. i as well cant wait.
its all about spending a crap load of money now for a game like Doom 4 that wont be out for years? thats actually pretty darn stupid. also Rage is not going to be all that demanding. you are much better off to a buy setup that can easily play all current games with a little room to spare then upgrade your gpu a year or so down the road when need be. by the time future games come out a current high end card wont even keep up with a midrange card. unless you are currently pushing a 24inch or better monitor having 3 GTX280 cards is pretty much a waste.

its all about spending a crap load of money now for a game like Doom 4 that wont be out for years? thats actually pretty darn stupid. also Rage is not going to be all that demanding. you are much better off to a buy setup that can easily play all current games with a little room to spare then upgrade your gpu a year or so down the road when need be. by the time future games come out a current high end card wont even keep up with a midrange card. unless you are currently pushing a 24inch or better monitor having 3 GTX280 cards is pretty much a waste.

Ohnooozzzz! More than one person differs in your opinion and therefore they are an id10t too! lol! What a schmuck. I think you and Bigcactus are one in the same.

Ohnooozzzz! More than one person differs in your opinion and therefore they are an id10t too! lol! What a schmuck. I think you and Bigcactus are one in the same.
Well tell me where the logic is in doing that. A couple of idiots suggest that having an overkill system will prepare them for a game that wont be out for years. Thats fucking stupid. By then a midrange card will beat the shit out of a 2 to 3 year old high end card not to mention the rest of the pc will be out of date. If that makes me a schmuck to say that then so be it. ;)

EDIT: just to be clear: Im not really knocking the OP for his overzealous system, Im just saying, along with some others, that at having 3 overclocked GTX280 in tri sli is overkill for 1680x1050. To the people that think that makes him future proof I find that completely ludicrous for the reasons I have already given.

For shits and giggles you should try crysis at 800x600 on low, then post back with the fps.

For those going on its a waste etc , you may be right but at the end of the day i can try it if i agree i will just send 1 or more cards back or just go back to the gx2's if i'm not satisfied i can return them for the cost of the postage, so why not try 3 in tri sli? if it's that good then i will keep them and may look at going to 24''
They are expensive but, i appreciate a powerfull system, l guess I'll soon see wether there worth it.
And yes I have read the reviews but a couple of benchmarks and someone elses opinion meens nothing to me, I need to see for myself!!

For those going on its a waste etc , you may be right but at the end of the day i can try it if i agree i will just send 1 or more cards back or just go back to the gx2's if i'm not satisfied i can return them for the cost of the postage, so why not try 3 in tri sli? if it's that good then i will keep them and may look at going to 24''
They are expensive but, i appreciate a powerfull system, l guess I'll soon see wether there worth it.
And yes I have read the reviews but a couple of benchmarks and someone elses opinion meens nothing to me, I need to see for myself!!

There's nothing wrong with you logic but you'd really needs to get the 24" inch monitor first to try out 3x SLI. I'm thinking you're not going to be impress by 3x SLI at 1680x1050, but I think that would change at 1920x1200 and higher.

Do you guys think the performance is better on 24'' than on a 22'' as in FPS and quality settings etc etc. thought that 1680x1050 should give me a very good idea does this res hold back the cards???

also i keep hearing that these cards have a tendancy to over heat, especialy when in tri sli due to space restrictions (must be honest looks a bit, well tight in there with 3 sandwiched together), causing them to be noisy & hot while in 3d app's any thoughts on this 280 gtx owners????

Do you guys think the performance is better on 24'' than on a 22'' as in FPS and quality settings etc etc. thought that 1680x1050 should give me a very good idea does this res hold back the cards???

also i keep hearing that these cards have a tendancy to over heat, especialy when in tri sli due to space restrictions (must be honest looks a bit, well tight in there with 3 sandwiched together), causing them to be noisy & hot while in 3d app's any thoughts on this 280 gtx owners????

As long as you have good airflow you'll be fine.

The 1680x1050 won't lower the FPS from say 1920x1200, however you would be able to run at 1920x1200 "for free" as far as frame rates go.

Get yourself a 30" 2560x1600 lcd and enjoy the power of three :)
With such setup, why not spend some more bucks for the thing you are looking at all the time you're behind your pc.
For me a good monitor is no1 priority, you can have lots of power, but without the right screen and resolution this means nothing.
Like buying a Lambourghini while you're blind :D
You know the power is there, but you can't see it !

Get yourself a 30" 2560x1600 lcd and enjoy the power of three :)
With such setup, why not spend some more bucks for the thing you are looking at all the time you're behind your pc.
For me a good monitor is no1 priority, you can have lots of power, but without the right screen and resolution this means nothing.
Like buying a Lambourghini while you're blind :D
You know the power is there, but you can't see it !

My 30" monitor is the #1 component I can't live without. Without a doubt it is the best piece of equipment I've ever bought for my computer.

Because he can? Why do people put an E8600 on LN2 and OC to 6+Ghz? Because they can.

"You could drive a car with your feet if you want to. That don't make it a good idea; that don't mean it is to be done." - Chris Rock

I'm wondering, is your powersupply a little under powered to power 3 let alone 2 280's?

I'm wondering, is your powersupply a little under powered to power 3 let alone 2 280's?
If you're addressing the OP, his Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W is actually certified to handle three GTX 280s. heatlesssun has been successfully powering three with a 1000W PSU. The stated 550W PSU requirement for a GTX 280 is for the entire system. The 280 itself has a maximum TDP of 236W, I believe.

TKD beat me too it, I was going to say the same thing at the PSU, that's fine. Under load his system shouldn't draw more than 750W. Even a good 1kW can handle 3x GTX SLI that like my Enermax as TKD referenced.

even you know its a freaking waste at that res. he would get no more fps at 1680 with 3 cards then he would at 1920. in fact 2 overclocked gtx280 cards would be 90% wasted at just 1680.

Agreed, don't argue with these fools, buying tri sli for a 1680 monitor...I could definitely see 1920x1200...but 1680? Come on now...he must really be itching to play crysis at 4xAA :rolleyes:

Agreed, don't argue with these fools, buying tri sli for a 1680 monitor...I could definitely see 1920x1200...but 1680? Come on now...he must really be itching to play crysis at 4xAA :rolleyes:

Well you must be calling yourself a fool because most of the fools you refer to said the same, I know I did, that 3x SLI GTX 280 would be wasted at 1680x1050, and I actually have the setup.

Alternatively, a 1080p LCD TV would probably benefit from tri-SLI scaling as well, if you can make yourself comfortable with that setup. (Given the choice between getting myself comfortable using an existing 1080p TV as my primary monitor and upgrading my 1280*1024 19" LCD, I chose the former.) :)

Oh my god.. such a nice rig you got there. You should get another set of 2x2gb dominators just to max it out. :eek:

If they are really that good smooth etc and tick all tho boxes then i'll invest in a 24'' not getting when until it's tried and tested, what about the temps of these in tri sli I here ther noisy as the fans struggle to keep them cool???

Back