Just to let you know...crysis is still too much for a 5870...

Elipsn

Limp Gawd
although I'm sure most of you already knew this - with one 5870 at 5040x1050 - crysis still demands more than the 5870 can do.

All high settings, 2x AA, and 20fps. I've still yet to play crysis because I told myself I'll play that game when I can max everything and get 60fps.

:( Guess a 5970 is in my future for trifire....does it ever end?

btw, I know I may be cpu limited, but still.....meh, expected more from a 5870......such is life.

5040x1050 is a lot of pixels so its no surprise and no it never ends. Better graphics and higher resolutions will make us to buy video cards for many years to come.

although I'm sure most of you already knew this - with one 5870 at 5040x1050 - crysis still demands more than the 5870 can do.

All high settings, 2x AA, and 20fps. I've still yet to play crysis because I told myself I'll play that game when I can max everything and get 60fps.

btw, I know I may be cpu limited, but still.....meh, expected more from a 5870......such is life.

Maybe she is just very needy and will never been satisfied with whatever you give her. Maybe its time to move on? Wait are will talking about a Crysis? Yeah just click uninstall and enjoy other games that don't demand a super computer to run with ok graphics.

Crysis is so overrated.

.....What were you expecting?

Haha, of course it does!!

We've been struggling for years to try and squeeze playable frame rates out of crysis at a single monitor resolution of 2560x1600 (4 Million pixels) and along comes eyefinity and suddently everyone thinks they can go for 5M-7M pixel resolutions just fine. :confused:

First of all a 5970 on its own struggles with 2560x1600, its maxed out but with no AA will pretty much net you 30fps

Second, eyefinity can't be accelerated by crossfire in tri or quad configurations yet, so the best you can go for right now is a single 5970, you might have luck playing in max settings at that resolution if you're prepared to overvolt and overclock the card.

I can play very high at 1920*1200 with my i7 and slight overclock to 920 on the card, I don't know why u expecting so much at that resolution, u should lower ur expectation as u bump up the resolution. Wait one more generation thy has new architecture may be u will get ur 60 frames but I doubt it will be at that resolution.

Who cares? Crysis is a terrible game anyways.

Crysis belongs to Nvidia, why are you trying to force the issue with ATI?

Even a GTX295 couldn't run it at those settings and it's faster than a 5870 by a bit :confused:

Next time research before you buy if this is what you expected.

I am sorry, but if I could max crysis (and only crysis) by buying a magical piece of hardware for only 25 dollars...

I wouldn't.

It's completely unrealistic to expect playable performance at that resolution.

Crysis is running at payable frames up 2560x1600 with the 5870. This game is no longer a bitch to run.

The Crysis Mystic has worn off. 95% of gamers will only have one monitor.

Interesting. I played Crysis at 1920X1200 all maxed with 2xAA perfectly fine.

Gets down to around 20fps sometimes, but otherwise very playable

Yeah, the day amd will support eyefinity in xfire, thats the day I buy one, if not two 5970's.....price be damned.

And, I know crysis as a game blows.....its more of a principle issue for me.

I'd also ad that for me, now that eyefinity is supported, its the only way to play - once you go, you will never go back. The experience really is that good - kinda like heroin.

It's completely unrealistic to expect playable performance at that resolution.

No its not. Its simply an issue of having the hardware to do it. I assure you, 2x 5970, with a slight overclock, will at least push 30-40fps, if not 50-60fps.

I've just come to terms that this is what its going to take. :( And of course, waiting for ati/amd to support xfire with eyefinity - whomever is responsible for the delay should have their balls put in a vice.

:( And of course, waiting for ati/amd to support xfire with eyefinity - whomever is responsible for the delay should have their balls put in a vice.

ATI explained that they also want people to use two different cards in CF Eyefinity, they say it caused more issues to program. That's the reason why it's taking longer than expected.

So they not only want to support 5870 CF in Eyefinity but the also want to support 5870/5850 CF in Eyefinity. The lower level cards will be released in January so they have to create drivers for those also. They want to roll out the drivers at one time. I agree, sometimes when you fix one thing you can break another.

I just tried out Crysis Warhead at 5040x1050 on my GTX260.

All settings Enthusiast (Very High) with no AA: 16FPS average
All settings Gamer (High) with no AA: 39FPS average

Edit: Ice levels are quite a bit worse on performance, as usual.

My card is almost exactly HALF the speed of yours, I'm sure you can drop a couple of settings to get it up to playable framerates. Try turning off 2x AA and just use the games built in "edge antialiasing" instead, it's much faster but still helps kill the jaggies. You could also try turning off motion blur, it helps lower framerates look smoother, but it also lowers framerates itself.

Last edited:
I just tried out Crysis Warhead at 5040x1050 on my GTX260.

All settings Enthusiast (Very High) with no AA: 16FPS average
All settings Gamer (High) with no AA: 39FPS average

My card is almost exactly HALF the speed of yours, I'm sure you can drop a couple of settings to get it up to playable framerates. Try turning off 2x AA and just use the games built in "edge antialiasing" instead, it's much faster but still helps kill the jaggies. You could also try turning off motion blur, it helps lower framerates look smoother, but it also lowers framerates itself.

Crysis is more demanding than warhead isnt it? (not sure asking)

Also just curious but how do you run that res on a Gtx260, matrox tripplehead or something?

Crysis is more demanding than warhead isnt it? (not sure asking)

Also just curious but how do you run that res on a Gtx260, matrox tripplehead or something?
I'm using SoftTH. I have a 9800GT in my second slot with the leftmost monitor attached to it.

Only the primary card does any rendering with SoftTH, so it's just the GTX260 rendering 5040x1050 all by itself. The only reason I'm using a 9800GT for my secondary (instead of something weaker like an 8400GS) is because it also doubles as a dedicated PhysX card.

Kind of ironic that when a card(s) comes around that you might be able to turn AA on at enthusiest levels, the same card ups the ante with offering higher resolutions as a standard.

I am sorry, but if I could max crysis (and only crysis) by buying a magical piece of hardware for only 25 dollars...

I wouldn't.

well..can you at least trade up then? even if you've already invested in said magic card.

In the titles that needed the extra performance, it seemed to scale pretty well. Considering the amount of money needed, I think people that can afford it would be relatively happy.

you can do it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-g7fDRz_I&feature=sub

quadfire power makes crysis run like left 4 dead in extreme resolution

I wouldn't call 1920x1200 "extreme" it's little over 2Mpix where a single monitor like the 2560x1600 is 4Mpix, 3x22" monitors is 5Mpix and 3x24" is 7Mpix

For that much GPU power it's a pretty bad resolution to test since he's obviously CPU limited in a lot of cases.

Quadfire 5870s is basically pointless, 2 will take care of all your needs either single monitor in crossfire or multimonitor with a 5970 (which can do eyefinity+dualgpu)

what I dont get it what on earth kind of computer was used to make crysis? They had to have an idea of who could run everything on very high.

The Crysis development team did say that it was designed for both current gen and future gen. you should also note that the most common computer display resolution is still 1280x1024 according to the valve hardware survey, in fact about 50% have that resolution or below.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Crysis in max settings at something like 1280x1024 is quite easy to achieve now a days.

That is why I do not bother to even look at Crysis benchmarks when new cards come out...every game seem to scale nicely but that piece of junk.

what I dont get it what on earth kind of computer was used to make crysis? They had to have an idea of who could run everything on very high.

I was thinking the same thing. But if you think about it, their PC probably only ran 40fps @1650 and 30fps @ 1920 average. The game was playable so they released it IMO. I don't think optimization beyond those settings was even considered because they couldn't run it themselves. Crytek probably assumed that one day a GPU can run those settings but if you don't optimize for it, the game will not run efficiently no matter what GPUs you have. Crysis 2 will run a lot better because they now have GPUs the can run 60fps @1920 but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
No its not. Its simply an issue of having the hardware to do it. I assure you, 2x 5970, with a slight overclock, will at least push 30-40fps, if not 50-60fps.

I've just come to terms that this is what its going to take. :( And of course, waiting for ati/amd to support xfire with eyefinity - whomever is responsible for the delay should have their balls put in a vice.

So you're going to pay $1200 for the video hardware to play one game at this resolution?

Thanks for helping to keep amd profitable.

Crysis is the most optimized game out there, I don't know what you guys are smoking. Hardware just hasn't caught up, even with 5970CF, which will still see lower than 30fps at some parts in the game. That doesn't mean you won't get an enjoyable experience with 5970CF however. I'd be more concerned with the 5970 dropping to 14fps in MW2 as stated in some reviews.

No one can really speak of crysis being optimised or not (in the technical sense of the term), no one has ever proved either way, can we not get dragged into that one :p

try playing normal games besides maxed out crysis and you will be fine with performance on eyefinity, lol.

Back