Just took the V2400W plunge...thoughts.

Perini

n00b
So, I'd like to thank 10e, GTOViper, Jim Robbins, gtg465x, et al. for their oft long-winded but ultimately informative reviews.

Of course, if I get my display and think it's awful, I'll be writing you all nastygrams. j/k :D

The following monitors were considered in my process:

HP 2408H
Gateway FHD2400
BenQ FP241W
BenQ G2400WD
BenQ T241W
Dell 2408WFP
Doublesight DS-263N
Samsung 245BW
Samsung 245T
Samsung T240
Samsung ToC T240HD (Sadly, this one is brand new so there has been almost no literature on it)
Acer P243WAid
NEC LCD2470WNX-BK

I confess to letting Trusted Reviews talk me out of the BenQ G2400WD for reasons of backlight bleed issues. Even if they're marginally less than the V2400W, with the 10% discount offered through this site combined with free shipping, it was a no-brainer.

I would like to throw out a question to anybody who bothers to read this thread. My monitor for the last 4 years was a Dell 2005FPW, which from everything I've read seems to be a bit of a legendary 20" LCD gaming display.

Do I have reason to believe that the BenQ will be at least on level with the Dell in terms of picture quality and latency? Everybody says input lag on the G2400WD / V2400W is minimal to the point of going unnoticed. I hope that's true. I also hope the picture quality is comparable. I know the Dell is old but I've always thought it looked beautiful, so either I'm not picky or it really is a legendary monitor.

One other thing: 1900x1200. I'm excited to run games and HD discs at that resolution, but is the "Fill" option really worthwhile on the V2400W? I mean, does it look distorted or does it actually upscale it accurately? I'm ignorant as to how technology works in this arena. What I'm really asking is if all my older games that don't support 1900x1200 will look good at say, 1680x1050, upscaled to "Fill" the V2400W.

If I have other questions, I'll use this thread to post them. Big thanks to whoever started this site. I cannot (literally) believe how much information there is in the archives.

$404 to my front door. 10% discount from the "thankyou10" promotional code and free shipping.

Have you noticed banding or colour difference between the top and bottom of the screen? That's the one issue stopping me from getting the v2400w instead of my non-TN gateway 24".

Have you noticed banding or colour difference between the top and bottom of the screen? That's the one issue stopping me from getting the v2400w instead of my non-TN gateway 24".

The moment the V2400W arrives, I will post my crude, unsophisticated observations. :p

how did you get free shipping?

The BenQ online store apparently had free shipping through the weekend.

10 bucks says you won't like it.

:p

I'm not a betting man, but I don't think your money would be safe. I have a lowly old Dell 2005FPW at the moment and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. An additional 4" of diagonal real estate (not to mention resolution) sounds delicious.

That being said, if you're right, then it goes back within the week. :D

I agree that the higher resolution and larger screen are appealing, but I think you will be disappointed in the color offerings.

I agree that the higher resolution and larger screen are appealing, but I think you will be disappointed in the color offerings.

Okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that 90% of the motivation behind my purchase is PC gaming. For the first time since 2004, I upgraded to a new machine, vid card, and now monitor. Again, I don't think the Dell 2005FPW was ever renowned for its color range and it definitely has its fair share of backlight bleed, but I've absolutely loved it over the years.

Have you used the V2400W? Other thoughts about it?

I saw your post in the other thread about the FP241W. I had been looking at the FP241VW on the BenQ site for days and days. I was convinced that it was a FP241W with a nicer housing. Now I realize there are two models!

Anyhow, the FP241W was the 2nd runner-up on my list. Do you use yours for FPS gaming at all?

Unfortunately, my gaming days were over once I started my pursuit of a bachelors degree in engineering. I can tell you that high def content looks sweeeet though. I use my PC for normal use (anything from programming to video editing) and movie playback. Ever since buying the monitor my PC has become more like a HTPC ;)

Well for PC gaming you can't go wrong with the V2400W. It's generally not bad with HD signals either, but could be better with 1080i.

Funny enough I still have my Dell 2005FPW, and I was surprised that it works with the Xbox 360 over HDMI > DVI perfectly. It even properly scales 1920x1080/1080p resolution down to 1680x1050 or (1680x944 for 16:9). I went with the 24" screens because my PS3 did not (and still doesn't) work with the Dell. It actually has good color calibration out of the box, but not much adjustability for color in regards to brightness. I was fortunate to get a perfect 20" panel in the Dell with very little backlight bleed, if any.

There are certain areas where the FP241VW/W (June 2007 or later build date) outstrips the V2400W:

1) Connectivity options with DVI, HDMI, VGA, component, s-video, composite vs. DVI, HDMI, VGA
2) Proper 1:1 pixel mapping with VGA at 1920x1080. Proper 480p aspect ratio over DVI, HDMI, and component.
3) Vertical viewing angles. Horizontally I'd give the advantage to the V2400W because it does not have A-MVA gamma shift on darks.
4) Better color controls over HDMI and component
5) Brightness
6) FP241W has a height adjustable, pivoting stand. It can also be VESA mounted (as can the VW) whereas the V2400W cannot, and it has a fixed height, non-pivoting stand.
7) Slightly better aspect ratio handling and scaling with custom PC resolutions.

Here is where the V2400W outstrips the FP241xx:

1) Better out of box color calibration. The FP is great AFTER calibration, but the V2400W doesn't necessarily need it, as out of the box, colors are fairly accurate.
2) Better brightness range, down to 90 cdm/2. The FP241xx can barely get to 140 cdm/2 and that's at 4 brightness. At below 30 brightness, black crush becomes pretty evident.
3) Full range HDMI color. You can put a PS3 to "full range HDMI" and Xbox 360 to "expanded" blacks and still see darks. With the FP241xx series you need to use standard blacks and "limited range HDMI" or you lose dark details below RGB of 16,16,16 (dark grey).
4) Input lag is one frame less on the V2400W.
5) Sharper text quality.
6) Better blacks
7) Higher measured contrast ratio because of the better black level of 0.06 cdm/2 minimum, or .14 cdm/2 at 140 cdm/2 brightness.
8) Monitor runs cooler than the FP241xx. The LCD panel itself stays cool.

Right now I'm using the FP241VW because I was able to calibrate the color for PC use, and it is a very good monitor for the price, but it is not perfect either. The VW is a different monitor with a slightly newer (but not any better) panel than the FP241W, and it has no height adjustment or pivoting because of the "TV like" stand.

I can say input lag is lower than reported. I always say this, but I feel both the FP241VW/FP241W have inflated input lag numbers. In clone mode with the V2400W I can't see much difference at all, if any in regards to response. I plan to use a DVI splitter to get 100% accurate input lag numbers on the FP241VW and see what they are really like. I haven't heard any complaints of the FP241XX series and input lag beyond what I've read on digitalversus.com.

Regards,

10e

Okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that 90% of the motivation behind my purchase is PC gaming. For the first time since 2004, I upgraded to a new machine, vid card, and now monitor. Again, I don't think the Dell 2005FPW was ever renowned for its color range and it definitely has its fair share of backlight bleed, but I've absolutely loved it over the years.

Have you used the V2400W? Other thoughts about it?

I saw your post in the other thread about the FP241W. I had been looking at the FP241VW on the BenQ site for days and days. I was convinced that it was a FP241W with a nicer housing. Now I realize there are two models!

Anyhow, the FP241W was the 2nd runner-up on my list. Do you use yours for FPS gaming at all?

Hey 10e, how would you say the brightness of the V2400W compares to the 2005FPW? Sorry, but that's the only comparison I'd understand. :D

Thanks for your post, I appreciate the rundown.

Back