Just upgraded to Win 7 over Vista and...

sculelos

Supreme [H]ardness
Wow, can't believe how much faster my system is running, of course I had some sort of funky find-fast answers virus before that I coudln't get rid of that made me upgrade but I like the sleeker interface of Windows 7 a bit better too. Overall not a bad upgrade.

Congrats. I did the same to my dad's laptop recently after months of persuading him and both of us noticed a smoother UI experience. I don't think Vista was a bad OS; it's just that Windows 7 is better.

It probably just felt faster because it was a fresh install. I doubt there is really much dif in performance between the two. I have both Vista and Win7 installed but they are on different hardware config PCs so can't compare performance.

It probably just felt faster because it was a fresh install. I doubt there is really much dif in performance between the two. I have both Vista and Win7 installed but they are on different hardware config PCs so can't compare performance.

Mostly agree, one thing though, is that Win7 boots alot faster on the same hardware. I also notice that hibernating and awaking from it is faster under win7. Windows7 is just what Vista should have been.

That being said, I just gave my mother my old copy of Vista Ultimate x64, and after the initial adjustment phase, she is loving it. I got Win7 x64 a while back from a friend in the IT biz for free. Win Win.

Actual game performance no performance difference noticed besides perhaps slightly faster loading.

For boot times though I think Windows 7 boots more then twice as fast as what Vista was taking. I used XP for a good 4 years before upgrading to Vista and it always felt like XP booted much faster then Vista but Vista had so many more features over XP that I used it anyways. With Win 7 I feel like it's really the best of both worlds.

Edit: Saying that I probably only boot my computer once every couple of days because it's left on so much so it's not a huge noticeable thing, the main difference that I like is the sleeker interface.

I wouldn't notice boot times much because I mostly never shut the PC off and use the hibernating mode, or whatever it is called. I read that is why Win8 appears to boot faster, it will use some form of hybrid hibernation so that it is never truly shut down.

I wouldn't notice boot times much because I mostly never shut the PC off and use the hibernating mode, or whatever it is called. I read that is why Win8 appears to boot faster, it will use some form of hybrid hibernation so that it is never truly shut down.

I think Win8 boots much faster because it loads it's GUI first and streams in all the other data somehow... not really sure how it works in like 2 seconds like they were showing in the previews though.

My general experience has been that 7 runs better/faster on the same hardware (vs Vista).
Vista64 post-SP1 is a very solid OS. It's biggest flaw however, as GushpinBob said, is that 7 is better.

Not really.
I did the same last year and my computer is way faster than when it was running Vista.
I had both 7 and vista dual booting on the same PC and in 7 things were happening a lot faster.
Not just in gaming however with everything else from opening programs to copying/moving files.
7 is way faster than vista

Back