JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

I've had both, 900 is better for gaming, period. ;)

Yup. It is much larger sounding overall. This gives you the "you are there" feeling while the 700 sound stage is smaller and less conducive to directional sound.

just get the 900s and be done with it. hard to go wrong given the small price difference.

Yup. It is much larger sounding overall. This gives you the "you are there" feeling while the 700 sound stage is smaller and less conducive to directional sound.

The soundstage was ultimately what won me over to the 900s over the 700s when I was making the decision. I absolutely recommend the felt removal though as it makes them sound much cleaner. Besides it's only 25$ more might as well just get the best one and be done with it.

I might buy a pair if JVC saw fit to sell them in Canada, but they don't. With beyerdynamic 990pro, ATH-M50 and Shure 840 I don't think I really need a pair anyway.

thanks so much for all your help guys... :D

RX900 cans were ordered this morning... Also I picked up locally some Dynamat xtreme ... I might actually buy more to mod my PC... The Xonar DG card is low on stock it might take some time to get it...

i have modded several of these headphones. a strip of proper rubberized duct tape works just as well as dynamat. the idea is to control vibration on the cup. with damping and felt removal, the rx700 sounds 1/2 way between a stock rx700 and an rx900
also try metal tape if you want more highs and less bass

i have modded several of these headphones. a strip of proper rubberized duct tape works just as well as dynamat. the idea is to control vibration on the cup. with damping and felt removal, the rx700 sounds 1/2 way between a stock rx700 and an rx900
also try metal tape if you want more highs and less bass

thanks for the pointers, I'll use dynamat as it was cheap. How does modded rx900 sound? From my research and understanding (and opinion by other users) I hope overall it will make better gaming caps...

That is probably the best budget headphone setup going. For speakers, go with the same sound card and the partsexpress t-amp + bookshelves deal for $58.

Got my RX700s hooked up last night and I have some highly annoying feedback coming through the 700s connected to the Xonar DG. I never heard this with the KCS75 (less sensitive?), but with the 700s I get noise from doing pretty much anything on my computer. Just moving the mouse give me a constant whine, HD access and apparently GPU use can cause the problem as well. It happens with the sound fully muted as well. So either my front headphone jack cabling is super noisy or I need a new PSU or ???.

I don't have another PCI slot to move the sound card to either. The card is in the only exposed PCI slot on my motherboard, directly above the PSU as well.

Got my RX700s hooked up last night and I have some highly annoying feedback coming through the 700s connected to the Xonar DG. I never heard this with the KCS75 (less sensitive?), but with the 700s I get noise from doing pretty much anything on my computer. Just moving the mouse give me a constant whine, HD access and apparently GPU use can cause the problem as well. It happens with the sound fully muted as well. So either my front headphone jack cabling is super noisy or I need a new PSU or ???.

I don't have another PCI slot to move the sound card to either. The card is in the only exposed PCI slot on my motherboard, directly above the PSU as well.

Found your problem. ;)

Found your problem. ;)

But its so damn convenient... :p

I might try wrapping the front panel cable in foil + tape + ground wire tonight to see if that helps. My PC isn't in a place where it is easy to access the jacks on the backs, and I would still like to use the USB ports on the front panel as well.

Last edited:
Yeah well, they suck. :p

My front panel is worthless as well, the rear panel much less so. Nowadays I run an amp with optical out of my PC to remove all noise, onboard analog sound in a computer is like trying to listen to an mp3 in a hurricane.

But its so damn convenient... :p

I might try wrapping the front panel cable in foil + tape + ground wire tonight to see if that helps. My PC isn't in a place where it is easy to access the jacks on the backs, and I would still like to use the USB ports on the front panel as well.

Perhaps try running a short 3.5mm audio cable extender from the rear headphone output so you can easly access it... However I'm not sure if DG card has seperate rear outputs for your speakers and headphones.. I'll be getting my DG sometime this week, too be honest I was hoping to use front panel headphone jack... oh well.

Perhaps try running a short 3.5mm audio cable extender from the rear headphone output so you can easly access it... However I'm not sure if DG card has seperate rear outputs for your speakers and headphones.. I'll be getting my DG sometime this week, too be honest I was hoping to use front panel headphone jack... oh well.

I have a 3.5 audio extension cable. The problem is that when my kid uses the PC she needs the speakers, so she just unplugs the headphones. When I sit down to use the PC, I plug in the headphones. The auto jack sensing make this work really smoothly.

I have a 3.5 audio extension cable. The problem is that when my kid uses the PC she needs the speakers, so she just unplugs the headphones. When I sit down to use the PC, I plug in the headphones. The auto jack sensing make this work really smoothly.

:(

Yeah, there is no easy solution, perhaps you can find a bracket with a short HD cable which can installed in the card slots or outside of you case, something similar to this…
So with KSC75 connected you don’t have this problem?

As soon as I get my Xonar DG, I’ll test my different headphones with my front headphone jack. It will take a nice couple of weeks before I get my RX900 cans…

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It just hit me, I could plug the headphones into the back and she could plug her speakers into the front when needed.

Presuming the Xonar DG lets me use the headphone amp on the rear output...

It just hit me, I could plug the headphones into the back and she could plug her speakers into the front when needed.

Presuming the Xonar DG lets me use the headphone amp on the rear output...

I hope it will work ;) let us know...

I hope it will work ;) let us know...

Well the jack sensing only works correctly if the front jack is set to FP Headphone and the back is set to Headphone. With the front set to FP Speakers, I don't get sound in the headphones when I unplug the speakers. Then to "fix" it, I need to manually select Headphone, get sound in the headphones, then when I plug in the speakers and it switches back to FP Headphones.

Aside from this, the Xonar Audio Center blows :p

Well the jack sensing only works correctly if the front jack is set to FP Headphone and the back is set to Headphone. With the front set to FP Speakers, I don't get sound in the headphones when I unplug the speakers. Then to "fix" it, I need to manually select Headphone, get sound in the headphones, then when I plug in the speakers and it switches back to FP Headphones.

Aside from this, the Xonar Audio Center blows :p

sounds like a pain in the ars.. :(

Do you mean "blows" aka sucks? :eek:

The front panel static issues, sound like a pretty common problem with some setups/cases... perhaps you are having a problem with your pc case like Antec 300 is having... I might have the same problem with my CM 922's front panel...

sounds like a pain in the ars.. :(

Do you mean "blows" aka sucks? :eek:

The front panel static issues, sound like a pretty common problem with some setups/cases... perhaps you are having a problem with your pc case like Antec 300 is having... I might have the same problem with my CM 922's front panel...

Aside some having the front panel speakers labelled as headphones, it does in fact work perfectly fine the way I have it setup now.

I just tried wrapping my front panel cable in foil and electrical tape, then running a ground from the foil to the case. This should shield the cable against certain types of noise. It didn't help, which mean my noise is likely from a shared ground with the USB ports and the headphone jack in the front panel.

Now my PC stinks because apparently I bought the worse smelling electrical tape ever created.

Aside some having the front panel speakers labelled as headphones, it does in fact work perfectly fine the way I have it setup now.

I just tried wrapping my front panel cable in foil and electrical tape, then running a ground from the foil to the case. This should shield the cable against certain types of noise. It didn't help, which mean my noise is likely from a shared ground with the USB ports and the headphone jack in the front panel.

Now my PC stinks because apparently I bought the worse smelling electrical tape ever created.

and if you disconnect front panel USB ports out of mobo, would you still get static/noise from front headphone jack? If that would work you could always use rear usb bracket (I use one of these).... or even buy cheap usb hub and have it somewhere in front of your rig...

Why not just run the speaker cable to the desk and leave it there along w/the extension, so it's trivial to unplug one and plug the other... Sure it means you have to switch any software settings manually, but it's probably less of a hassle than shielding the front panel cable (and even then it'd probably still sound better). Failing that, I'd have to agree w/others, just replace those front panel jacks.

Altho I've actually been looking for replacement front panel cables too (3.5mm to HD audio plug) and they're not so easy to find, most of the ones I've seen are AC97 (like FrontX's).

Why not just run the speaker cable to the desk and leave it there along w/the extension, so it's trivial to unplug one and plug the other... Sure it means you have to switch any software settings manually, but it's probably less of a hassle than shielding the front panel cable (and even then it'd probably still sound better). Failing that, I'd have to agree w/others, just replace those front panel jacks.

Altho I've actually been looking for replacement front panel cables too (3.5mm to HD audio plug) and they're not so easy to find, most of the ones I've seen are AC97 (like FrontX's).

Yeah I know I can just use an extension cable. I even have one, however I feel really compelled to fix this :p

So to this point in time, I've tried shielding the front panel cable with foil/tape/ground (no success) and also rewired the USB header cable to use a separate ground (no success). If I unplug the USB header from the motherboard, all of the noise goes away. I tried pulling the front panel ports out of the case as well (in case it was picking up noise from the case ground), same problem. Also if I have a USB thumb drive in the front panel along with headphones, and start writing data to USB, the noise goes crazy. I can't modify the front panel section to isolate the headphone jack because the ports are all molded into a single piece of plastic.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas... Sounds like the issue might be with the header where the front panel jacks plug into rather then the cable itself. You could bypass it entirely by running an extension cable from the back panel back into the case but that's kinda crude and it'd complicate switching between headphones and speakers unless you don't mind reaching behind the case to do it.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas... Sounds like the issue might be with the header where the front panel jacks plug into rather then the cable itself. You could bypass it entirely by running an extension cable from the back panel back into the case but that's kinda crude and it'd complicate switching between headphones and speakers unless you don't mind reaching behind the case to do it.

I am now attempting to fix the problem with a new case. I have this bad feeling that something is grounding out to my current case or that front panel connecter has a wiring problem. Replacing just the front panel connectors is going to cost me ~$30 and may have the same problem. Instead of dropping $30 for a random change that a new Lian Li panel fixes the issue, I order a Cooler Master case.

I am now attempting to fix the problem with a new case. I have this bad feeling that something is grounding out to my current case or that front panel connecter has a wiring problem. Replacing just the front panel connectors is going to cost me ~$30 and may have the same problem. Instead of dropping $30 for a random change that a new Lian Li panel fixes the issue, I order a Cooler Master case.

Get an inline ferrite core on the front audio header. I had the same issues as you did with the front audio header producing noise and feedback even when the audio was low or muted. Ferrite core helped but didn't fully eliminated the noise. By a random act of luck, I was installing a new video card and had to route the front audio cable a different way. This completely eliminated my noise. Previously the cable was running across the video card and then into the mobo header. Now it's routed through the side of the case, out the bottom, then into the header.

would something like that work?

Get an inline ferrite core on the front audio header. I had the same issues as you did with the front audio header producing noise and feedback even when the audio was low or muted. Ferrite core helped but didn't fully eliminated the noise. By a random act of luck, I was installing a new video card and had to route the front audio cable a different way. This completely eliminated my noise. Previously the cable was running across the video card and then into the mobo header. Now it's routed through the side of the case, out the bottom, then into the header.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just took my 700s out of the package and plugged them into my Macbook. I am really enjoying the sound, but now I'm finding myself frustrated with the qualities of some of the music I'm listening to (stage echo, bassoon player with loud pads, etc.). Great value for the price.

Now I just have to wait until school is out and I can take these home and plug them in to my X-Fi HD. I imagine its going to be a noticeable improvement over my Fatal1ty MKIIs. I may pick up a pair for my dad for Father's Day.

Too late, already using a different case now. I had tried moving the cable in the old case too, nothing worked. Even if I dragged the whole front panel 18 inches outside of the case, I still had noise problems anytime the front USB ports were plugged in.

Last edited:
I am waiting on some 900's to get here today.

I was looking for the 700's in several stores around me with no luck. I said screw it if I a am going to order them I will go with the 900's

They are at a sorting facility 30min away, Amazon tells me they will be delivered the 14th, fedex tells me the 16th WTH.

I gotta say I used to be a preacher for the 700s but I just replaced them with Steelseries Siberia V2's and gotta say they outperform the 700 in every way, and more comfortable as well! It has great bass, high trebles w/o screeching, and are lighter! they have a bigger soundstage, and are light w/o feeling they'll break the first time they drop...

I gotta say I used to be a preacher for the 700s but I just replaced them with Steelseries Siberia V2's and gotta say they outperform the 700 in every way, and more comfortable as well! It has great bass, high trebles w/o screeching, and are lighter! they have a bigger soundstage, and are light w/o feeling they'll break the first time they drop...

Yeah and only 3X the price? That isn't a fair comparison. Find something within $10 of these and say something. We are on the cheap here.

BTW I got a pair of Stax Lambda for $100. They blow the doors OFF any gaming headset created now or in the near future. Nm they need a energizer and speaker amp. Ignore that fact. They cost me $100 kinda. ;)

I looked at that headset and it looks pretty good. Might replace my 900s with them when they die. However I believe they have been going strong for over 2 years with no loss in quality so the headphones themselves are the longest lasting of any unit I've used, and still only 58$ on amazon compared to 90$ for the Siberia V2.

Edit: I searched through my old post and it seems like I've been using the JVC harx 900 for the last 2 1/2 years which is pretty damn long time. Almost been using my current computer for 3 years though. My technology is getting old but it all works good enough that I don't think it will need replaced for another year or two.

My 900s broke a while back. Still pisses me off. The side without the cable just snapped clean off one day. Tried to glue it, but it wouldn't hold. Picked up some cheapo Sony over the ear headphones at best buy for work and have stuck with them since. Maybe one day I'll have my 700s fixed that the 900s replaced (cat chewed the 700s cable and when it got rolled over by my computer chair it completely severed it).

Back