K8N neo plat, CPU voltage issues on cold startup?

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
I've started overclocking, and bumped the CPU voltage to 1.6V. Not sure if this is consistent yet, but a couple times I've booted into windows (from being off overnight) and MBM5 says my CPU is at much higher voltage, nearly 3V the last time. I also started Sandra and it registered 3.14V. I restarted and it seems to have resolved the issue. Is this normal behavior from the on-board voltage sensors? Is there a way for me to accurately determine the CPU voltage w/ a multimeter?

Well I haven't had a situation exactly like yours. I installed "PC Alert 4" yesterday. And when I run it I get an alarm for the 12V rail being at 0V, or 2.3V, or some such LIE! And when I check BIOS it's at 11.92-11.98V just like it's allways been!?!

So if MSI's own utilities can read their board properly how do you expect third party software to do so? :)

same thing with Sisoft sandra, and MBM5, its a bug with all nf3 250 chipsets, they have trouble with the voltage meters or whatever theyre called. my sandra says my CPU vcore is at 3.0v lol! it would be dead....and much higher than 47c ... anything above 2.0vcore on an a64 will fry it to hell.

you need to open the MSI driver cd that you have and go to the corecell folder, thats MSI's reading utility, it reads the voltage and rails and cpu temp exact.

you need to open the MSI driver cd that you have and go to the corecell folder, thats MSI's reading utility, it reads the voltage and rails and cpu temp exact.

Cool! thanks Dillusion :)

alright, i've found that changing the voltage configuration appears to give me the correct results. however, next time I boot I need to change it back again... I seem to alternate between ASUS PC-DL (when its reading high on CPU voltage) and ASUS P4P800. I'll try the MSI utility.

Currently running prime95 and comparing temps/volts between MSI CoreCenter (CC) / MBM5:
CPU: 50 / 46
system: 35 / 32
CPU: 1.65V / 1.65 (manually bumped to 1.65)
3.3: 3.33 / 3.33
5.0: 5.00 / 5.00
12: 12.38 / 11.86

My video card is reading 33C as ambient temp.

CoreCenter and MBM5 are interfering with each other. If I start up MBM5 first, WinBond 3 is showing around 44-45C consistently. I thought this was my PSU temp or something since it did not change much even after 20min of prime95. Starting up CC while MBM5 is running causes the WinBond 3 sensor to drop to 34-35C and not change much. When this occurs, WB3 is in sync with SysTemp of CC.

CPU temps for MBM seem to be consistently 3-4C lower than CC displays. I'm guessing this is due to use of the on-chip thermistor vs. one mounted in the mobo, or just some conversion glitch.

Does anyone know where all these sensors are actually located? I guess I should stop by the MSI forums...

The Core Center software sucks.
The voltage readings don't even match what is reported in the bios.
Try using Speed Fan.

Back