keep the 8800gtx for physx or sell

jetjaguar

2[H]4U
i recently got 2 x 260gtx 216s .. was wondering if its worth it to keep the 8800gtx as physx or just sell it

i recently got 2 x 260gtx 216s .. was wondering if its worth it to keep the 8800gtx as physx or just sell it

If youre not reaaly needing the cash Id say keep it.You already paid for it and the PhysX stuff coming is FREE..Why not at least try it.

nah i dont think i play any physx games .. plus the added heat with all the video cards right on top of each other might be too much

A FiringSquad article, here, suggests that the most card you need for dedicated PhysX is a 9600GT, though they didn't test it in situations where you have two cards already in SLI with a 3rd card for PhysX.

You might try duplicating their tests with your setup to see if the 8800GTX actually makes a difference, then selling the 8800GTX and, depending on your test results, deciding whether to get a 9600GT for PhysX. I'll leave it to you to research what 9600GT will work best in your system, but I think any of them would be a lot less demanding on your PSU and cooling than the 8800GTX.

PhysX needs a lot more testing to see under what circumstances dedicated cards are worthwhile.

I would not keep a 8800 GTX for physx. The 8800 GTX generates way too much heat and uses too much power to be a practical physx card. Sure it will do it, but since there are very few games that use physx I would not stick a power hungry heater in my case for the few games that use physx.

just sell the 8800gtx. its too big and power hungry just to try and use for phsyx. also by the time more games come out that really utilize physx you could buy a sub $100 card that will run it better and cooler.

That's exactly what I did. Upgraded to a 260, sold my 8800, and got a 9600 (single slot to boot) for physx stuff for under $100.

who cares about power when did we start caring how much power our computer crap consumes.

A FiringSquad article, here, suggests that the most card you need for dedicated PhysX is a 9600GT, though they didn't test it in situations where you have two cards already in SLI with a 3rd card for PhysX.

You might try duplicating their tests with your setup to see if the 8800GTX actually makes a difference, then selling the 8800GTX and, depending on your test results, deciding whether to get a 9600GT for PhysX. I'll leave it to you to research what 9600GT will work best in your system, but I think any of them would be a lot less demanding on your PSU and cooling than the 8800GTX.

PhysX needs a lot more testing to see under what circumstances dedicated cards are worthwhile.

Thats wrong..Its been proven that a 8800gt makes a sustantial difference over e 9600. I would try to get a 8800gt like card or keep the gtx...whatever runs cooler.
Regards

who cares about power when did we start caring how much power our computer crap consumes.
When our parents are no longer paying the electric bill. You'll get there, eventually.

Sooner or later I will be in the same situation as the OP, having an 8800GTX now. Mine is the BFG watercooled edition card, though, with a Danger Den waterblock preinstalled. Selling it may be difficult---generally speaking, people who watercool are people who want the latest and greatest hardware.

When our parents are no longer paying the electric bill. You'll get there, eventually.

Sooner or later I will be in the same situation as the OP, having an 8800GTX now. Mine is the BFG watercooled edition card, though, with a Danger Den waterblock preinstalled. Selling it may be difficult---generally speaking, people who watercool are people who want the latest and greatest hardware.

i been paying my own electric bill for the last 13 years. Nice try though on the insult. i leave 2 computers on 24/7 and i hardly notice a diff in my electric bill. heck i leve the tv on pretty much 24/7 in the living room.

only time i really notice a diff is when i have all the a/c going 24/7 and thats rarely cause it never gets hot.

noone cared till they started promoting power consumption. if they never started promoting that none of us would care i know i dont care.

Thats wrong..Its been proven that a 8800gt makes a sustantial difference over e 9600. I would try to get a 8800gt like card or keep the gtx...whatever runs cooler.
Regards

Could you link to the proof? I ask out of genuine curiosity.

Back